• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collections
2 2

111 posts in this topic

On 9/15/2022 at 9:17 AM, Marty Mann said:

Hard to believe but yes!

That’s pretty frickin' cool! 

You purchased your books yourself, brand new, from the newsstand. But to think you still have them as an original owner? That’s impressive!

Edited by Terry JSA

A pedigree that CGC doesn't recognize is Detroit Trolley. I think it's losing out as a pedigree had nothing to do with the quality of the books. It was because Marnin Rosenberg was at war with Borock at the time over the issue of pressing. It was definitely a political decision.

On 9/15/2022 at 2:15 PM, ArkhamCastle said:

Hi Marty

Started reading House Of mystery/House of Secrets in the Barber shop in the late 1950's and my first news stand purchase I believe in 1960 Green Lantern #4.  Still have all my books as well plus many new purchases over the years.

God bless you Marty!

The Barber Shop is where I got to read  FICTION HOUSE COMICS like WINGS, JUNGLE, JUMBO and RANGERS...

that's why I have so few in my collection.

I still have a few comics from 1950-55.  Most of them probably belonged to my older brother.  

My Scrooge collection has several early issues that he signed, starting with #5.

I have another copy of BW 11,  This scan was by someone else.

52362497820_b03714f6c8_b.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

On 9/16/2022 at 2:44 PM, Marty Mann said:

The Barber Shop is where I got to read  FICTION HOUSE COMICS like WINGS, JUNGLE, JUMBO and RANGERS...

that's why I have so few in my collection.

I used to pick up a lot of Fiction House at Golden Eagle comics in Reading.  Lem gave pretty good discounts.

20135904608_618f636843_b.jpg

8847747437_f4a1a2c0fb_b.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

On 9/15/2022 at 2:35 PM, BB-Gun said:

I usually say my first book was Four Color 291 Magic Hourglass but I don't have my original copy (I cut up the cover). 

I still have my original Showcase 11 and a Best Western which are about the same age.

My collecting habit stared with Showcase 36 and 37 which I still have.  I remember buying Showcase 37 at the drug store but none of the earlier books.  

27428073929_3d294b9078_o.jpg

I started collecting in Pa with 2000 silver age comics from the sixties and seventies.  I added 1000 comics by purchasing Wally's collection.  I purchased another 5000 at the flea markets plus 2000 off ebay. Its not a rare collection but Its a big pile.  Oh, someone gave me 2000 comics too.

On 9/18/2022 at 4:18 PM, N e r V said:

A few original owner collections in my family. A family member started buying off the stands in roughly mid 1940’s and collected in earnest by the late 1940’s. That collection went into the 1960’s. His son started his collection in the 1960’s and his son got into collecting by I believe the 1990’s. So that’s a 3 generation collection in my family that looks never to be sold (at least anytime soon).

Any idea if they had what would then be seen as the rare OCD collector type mentality of today and had kept all of their books in pristine condition or were they like the typical readers back in those early days of comic fandom who simply read their books to the well loved beater condition that most GA books are found?  hm  

Also have a couple relatives that started collecting in the early silver age and have amazing collections of golden age books with their original SA books bought off the stands.

Now, with these realatives being part of the later early SA collecting generation, maybe they had a much better chance of keeping their books in at least a little bit nicer shape after reading them.  :wishluck:

A few original owner collections in my family. A family member started buying off the stands in roughly mid 1940’s and collected in earnest by the late 1940’s. That collection went into the 1960’s. His son started his collection in the 1960’s and his son got into collecting by I believe the 1990’s. So that’s a 3 generation collection in my family that looks never to be sold (at least anytime soon). Also have a couple relatives that started collecting in the early silver age and have amazing collections of golden age books with their original SA books bought off the stands. Another relative that is a science fiction and horror collector of things  has the best complete collection of Planet comics I’ve ever seen among other comics. I grew up in Bronze Age with a few other family members collecting so I know exactly why I ended up collecting.

My recollection is you posted in the past that your Uncle (I think) has at least one Action 1 he bought a long time ago. Or am I getting that wrong?

On 9/19/2022 at 10:24 AM, lou_fine said:

Now, with these realatives being part of the later early SA collecting generation, maybe they had a much better chance of keeping their books in at least a little bit nicer shape after reading them.  :wishluck:

I love stories about the collectors in the 60s and 70s. One of the most interesting stories I read about on this site was about a collector who was so OCD that even though he had early access to Mile High's from Chuck (and was buying some), he was also rejecting Mile High's for not being up to his personal high grade standard.  Makes me wonder what his collection looked like. 

Edited by sfcityduck

On 9/19/2022 at 10:24 AM, lou_fine said:

Any idea if they had what would then be seen as the rare OCD collector type mentality of today and had kept all of their books in pristine condition or were they like the typical readers back in those early days of comic fandom who simply read their books to the well loved beater condition that most GA books are found?  hm  

Well no one I know is on the Edgar Church level of buying and never really touching books afterwards but yes they were all kept as far as I know in great shape. Definitely not readers or mid grades. I haven’t seen any part of them in years since the grandson is a bit of a jerk. Lol 

I actually got into collecting in 1973 by a friend at school and was introduced to a lot of books first by things like the Steranko and Overstreet guide books but actually seeing books in hand like Action #1 or Detective #27 was due to family collections. People make the mistake that collectors weren’t condition conscious that much in the past. They were. Just the grading was more open with good, fine and mint. What has changed which I remember talking to some fellow collectors in the late 1990’s about at SDCC when CGC was going around to introduce themselves was comics grading would become coin grading. Meaning only fractions of things in a books condition would send it over into another number based on that grading standard and massive price differences. Which is why today I often see books that range from 9.2 to 9.6 and it’s difficult at times to see a significant difference or the 9.2 might look better to you if how you grade things is different than the CGC standard. So you buy the number if you’re in the selling or flipping business and you buy the book not the number if you’re a collector.

On 9/19/2022 at 10:38 AM, sfcityduck said:

My recollection is you posted in the past that your Uncle (I think) has at least one Action 1 he bought a long time ago. Or am I getting that wrong?

Correct. Good memory. More than one actually and a few more that I know of by other family members and old time collectors I grew up with. Think we brought this up before on threads on both original collections and people today estimating numbers of existing copies of Action comics #1. Not sure how many but there’s more than a few collections with big keys well off the radar still.