• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Netflix's GLASS ONION: A KNIVES OUT MYSTERY (2022)

39 posts in this topic

Apparently, Hugh Grant is confirming his cameo character and Craig's character are married.

I notice no one was really talking about it before his announcement, and I'm guessing it's because the filmmakers didn't go to the media before the release in order to shout about it to the heavens, making it sound like that tiny scene is what the film is about. 

That's how to "include" something without shoving it in people's faces. :idea:

We thought the first film was better because the setting seemed more "whodunnit?", but we did like this. Neither one of us even commented on the scene because we really didn't notice it. and it wasn't until I saw Grant's comment that I even remembered his cameo. If this were a Disney film, we'd have already known about it before seeing it. 

If this were a Disney film, they would probably have made such a big deal about it that we wouldn't have seen the film at all.

Edited by MR SigS
no tickets

On 1/3/2023 at 12:02 PM, MR SigS said:

Apparently, Hugh Grant is confirming his cameo character and Craig's character are married.

I notice no one was really talking about it before his announcement, and I'm guessing it's because the filmmakers didn't go to the media before the release in order to shout about it to the heavens, making it sound like that tiny scene is what the film is about. 

That's how to "include" something without shoving it in people's faces. :idea:

We thought the first film was better because the setting seemed more "whodunnit?", but we did like this. Neither one of us even commented on the scene because we really didn't notice it. and it wasn't until I saw Grant's comment that I even remembered his cameo. If this were a Disney film, we'd have already known about it before buying tickets. 

If this were a Disney film, they would probably have made such a big deal about it that we wouldn't have seen the film at all.

Yes, the main detective is confirmed gay, and everyone collectively yawns.  Why, because they just made it a natural part of the character, not the focus of his entire existence. On top, they gave us a good film with little to no other agenda.

We watched Knives Out with the kids last year and we all loved it. I wish I could say the same about Glass Onion. It was definitely weaker than the first one and much more predictable. My kids both took out their phones and started gaming/chatting 30 minutes in, and my wife fell asleep halfway through. She was the smarter one as I forced myself to finish it.

Edited by kimik

On 1/3/2023 at 12:44 PM, kimik said:

We watched Knives Out with the kids last year and we all loved it. I wish I could say the same about Glass Onion. It was definitely weaker than the first one and much more predictable. My kids both took out their phones and started gaming/chatting 30 minutes in, and my wife fell asleep halfway through. She was the smarter one as I forced myself to finish it.

I liked it (i give it a 7/10), but it was an odd choice for the "central" murder to occur roughly 45 minutes into the film.  That initial 45 minutes does become important, but it was a bit tough to get through. 

Caught this over the weekend. Agree, not as good as the first but entertaining. While I did watch the first one again before watching this one and own the 4K, don't feel an immediate need to watch this one again anytime soon. Did have an issue with them destroying a priceless work of art, yes know it's not real life but still didn't like to see it go up in flames. 

On 1/3/2023 at 3:17 PM, rexinnih said:

Caught this over the weekend. Agree, not as good as the first but entertaining. While I did watch the first one again before watching this one and own the 4K, don't feel an immediate need to watch this one again anytime soon. Did have an issue with them destroying a priceless work of art, yes know it's not real life but still didn't like to see it go up in flames. 

That bothered me also. I can understand the revenge angle, but that would be a cultural loss for all of humanity.

Liked this one quite a bit, though I agree, I enjoyed the first one more, as it was a more traditional "whodunnit". Still very entertaining, and the kind of movie I'd like more of from mainstream Hollywood: beautiful people in exotic locations telling original stories. It's what Hollywood was built on, and it's nice to be reminded of it from time to time. No more superheroes, or cartoons, or any of that junk. Even a trifle like this does the soul some good when the standard offerings are so poor.

I'll watch as many Benoit Blanc mysteries as they want to make. Craig seems to be having a blast.

Also, had to rewind Kate Hudson's bikini entrance and rewatch a couple of times. Homina.

This was a terrific Saturday night date movie. I like that they're unafraid of sci-fi or fantastic plot elements. 

What was Ethan Hawke doing? Other than EH & Hugh Grant, were there any other cameos I might have missed?

The I'm not Batman bit was nice for folks like we Boardies.

On 1/3/2023 at 3:16 PM, kimik said:

It seemed like a movie that was thrown together without much thought. Basically, the first one was a success, here is some money, give us a sequel in 12 months.

This is exactly how I would put it.  I was pretty disappointed in it.  

On 1/8/2023 at 10:39 AM, thegiftedone45 said:

This is exactly how I would put it.  I was pretty disappointed in it.  

The rights were bought by Netflix to make 2 of these movies, Glass Onion was the first.  To the dismay of some theater owners, these sequels were intended as streaming releases only.  It was put into theaters for like two weeks, as a test.  It did fairly well considering the extremely limited short release.

On 1/8/2023 at 7:49 AM, TupennyConan said:

This was a terrific Saturday night date movie. I like that they're unafraid of sci-fi or fantastic plot elements. 

What was Ethan Hawke doing? Other than EH & Hugh Grant, were there any other cameos I might have missed?

Well, there was the Among Us game with (1) Angela Lansbury (2) Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (3) Natasha Lyonne and (4) Stephen Sondheim.  Yo-Yo Ma was at the party at the beginning.  And then the private session with Serena Williams.  And apparently the "voice" of the clock - "dong" - was Joseph Gordon-Levitt?  

I really enjoyed this movie, and I'll say up front that I think the writing is the key element I admired about it.  Unlike those who found it thrown together without much thought, I'd say the opposite feels true.

One bigger example I liked, which speaks to many of our critiques of the Mona Lisa destruction, is Miles' monologue about 'true disruptors':  

Okay. If you want to shake things up, you start with something small. You break a norm or an idea or a convention, some little business model, but you go with things that people are kind of tired of anyway. Everybody gets excited because you're busting up something that everyone wanted broken in the first place. That's the infraction point. That's the place where you have to look within yourself, and ask: Am I the kind of person who will keep going? Will you break more things? Break bigger things? Be willing to break the thing that nobody wants you to break? Because at that point, people are not going to be on your side. They're going to call you crazy. They're gonna say you're a bully. They're gonna tell you to stop. Even your partner will say you need to stop. Because as it turns out, nobody wants you to break the system itself. But that is what true disruption is, and that is what unites all of us. We all got to that line, and crossed it.

This speech perfectly mirrors the scene at the end when Helen destroys his Glass Onion -- she starts with something small, her glass, and begins moving up the line to statues, the piano, and the building itself.  Everyone except Miles 'gets excited' by her transgressions, but when Helen goes after the Mona Lisa, 'the thing that nobody wants you to break,' everyone tries to stop her (even we the audience don't want her to do it). But Helen proves herself a true disruptor who crosses the line, destroys the painting, and destroys Miles' success in the process.  It's the central theme of the film, and we're part of the experience as the audience.

I found a ton of moments like this where the writing has multiple layers to it, which increased my appreciation of the film.  The more I look at the -script, the more I find to enjoy.

Dan

On 1/5/2023 at 9:36 AM, F For Fake said:

very entertaining, and the kind of movie I'd like more of from mainstream Hollywood: beautiful people in exotic locations telling original stories. It's what Hollywood was built on, and it's nice to be reminded of it from time to time. No more superheroes, or cartoons, or any of that junk. Even a trifle like this does the soul some good when the standard offerings are so poor.

I'll watch as many Benoit Blanc mysteries as they want to make. Craig seems to be having a blast.

Also, had to rewind Kate Hudson's bikini entrance and rewatch a couple of times. Homina.

This is the most tasteful review of the movie.

I'll add that it is refreshing to feature a hero who never runs, jumps, fights, shoots guns, or all the other Tom Cruise style junque.