• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Netflix's GLASS ONION: A KNIVES OUT MYSTERY (2022)

39 posts in this topic

Netflix on Thursday said that it will put its upcoming sequel for its hit psychological drama “Knives Out,” in theaters before making it available to its 220 million subscription streaming subscribers.

• Why it matters: It marks the first-ever Netflix film to debut across all three major U.S. theatrical chains: AMC, Cinemark and Regal.
  • Catch up quick: The first film, which was distributed by Lionsgate, had a traditional theatrical release on Thanksgiving 2019 and premiered on Netflix in 2020.
  • What's next: Box office tickets for the new "Knives Out" sequel go on sale Oct. 10th.

This was very good.  Very clever and a great twist on a lot of murder mystery conventions.  It makes a pretty cool companion piece with the first film, which itself twisted a lot of standard conventions.  I was impressed with that part.

Only a tiny bit disappointed with the ultimate resolution, which seemed a bit less clever than what had come before, but that didn't really put me off the while thing.  

As a liker of Knives Out, I thought Glass Onion was a little too messy story-wise and a little too enigmatic for most of the movie to be truly compelling to me, until the end, where I wondered how the guilty would get their come uppance. That, not the actual murder mystery, was what saved the movie for me. So much that “how does the movie get to screw the real-life metaphor villain” seemed to be the real point of the movie, rather than a whodunnit mystery I could play along with the master sleuth, given the clues provided by the movie. I thought it was okay, not as good as the first film. 

Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery has only been on Netflix for a week, but the good news for audiences is that writer/director Rian Johnson has already started working on the next film in the series. It's been three years since the first Knives Out landed in theaters, so while it could be another three years for the third film to be released, Glass Onion suffered some setbacks and delays due to the coronavirus pandemic, so it's possible that the next film could be moving forward more quickly than anticipated. Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery is now streaming on Netflix.

When discussing with Wired.com how Glass Onion references the pandemic, Johnson detailed, "So much of what I'm trying to do, because I'm starting to write the next one, is really just about trying to clear my head and think about what's on my mind right now. Hopefully that translates in some way to what's on all of our minds right now in terms of culture."

I wanted to like this movie so much but while not a complete disappointment it was absolutely underwhelming. So much of the first and second act just feel like it is meandering through a set of scenes and not progressing a story that will culminate in the last 30 minutes (I wasn't fan of the "twist"). The acting is great though and this genre of film is Rian Johnson's strong point.