• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Received a 9.8 on this. Spoke to CGC - she said it’s a legit 9.8. Still new to grading. Thoughts?
4 4

62 posts in this topic

On 9/13/2022 at 10:14 AM, jaybuck43 said:

I feel like Customer Service was like "What are you complaining about, we gave you a gift".  No, that book is no where near a 9.8.  Personally, I'd have it at 9.0, though I'd need to see it more closely to check the corners etc.  The only thing you can do is if you go to sell it, sell it for a % of 9.8 price.  So if it's a $1,000 book in 9.8, list it for 750.  And if you decide to go the auction route, make SURE to mention several times the issue and post multiple pictures clearly showing it.  

Agree 100% with the 9.0. I don't think anyone should sell such a book though, even if you are fully clear about it and discount it. To me its company error and I appreciate the original poster's attempts to have CGC take it back and make it right.

Plus, if you are a company like CGC whose job it is to, as accurately as humanly possible, grade a comic correctly, one should think they would appreciate and understand the hobby enough to say "hey, this upstanding collector noticed we made a fault in their favour and just wants us to fix it so our reputation is somewhat upheld"

Because, while it is bad that such a mis-grade happened, I find it even worse that they are just like "eh keep it it's fine". No it is not. A community of collectors will all stand by this book as a non 9.8 and only the slimier folks in the hobby would be happy because they now can sell the book for a premium when it does not deserve it.

On 9/13/2022 at 10:19 AM, namisgr said:

Some of the damage does seem in unlikely places, like that prominent finger crease along the edge.  That's what I tried to convey using the term 'during encapsulation', which covers the entire time between a book being graded and it being finished with encapsulation.

And I thought the thumbprints showing up on so many grader's notes was bad - this damage is egregious.

Until these grading companies become more transparent, all we know if the graders are in a room in cubicles and appear to be able to talk amongst each other. At least a past video showed this to appear to be the case...who knows what the new building and set up looks like. And who knows what the process is when it leaves the grader's hands and gets encapsulated.

I mean, another company was sending books offsite for grading AND other stuff to a person's home. For all we know, a company could have Jimmy John set up in his garage with a machine designed to encapsulate comics and they send him some overflow every so often to help get books back to customers. And maybe Jimmy John isn't the most careful guy. 

I'm not saying that happens but until CGC makes it clearer what actually happens (and again, if another company is resorting to such shady means) then who is to say they have not during the last year or so when times were (and still are) busier than ever.

And hey, if the damage was there before well then it still comes back to a poorly graded book. Either way it is something CGC should take the time to make right.

On 9/13/2022 at 8:32 AM, comicginger1789 said:

Agree 100% with the 9.0. I don't think anyone should sell such a book though, even if you are fully clear about it and discount it. To me its company error and I appreciate the original poster's attempts to have CGC take it back and make it right.

Plus, if you are a company like CGC whose job it is to, as accurately as humanly possible, grade a comic correctly, one should think they would appreciate and understand the hobby enough to say "hey, this upstanding collector noticed we made a fault in their favour and just wants us to fix it so our reputation is somewhat upheld"

Because, while it is bad that such a mis-grade happened, I find it even worse that they are just like "eh keep it it's fine". No it is not. A community of collectors will all stand by this book as a non 9.8 and only the slimier folks in the hobby would be happy because they now can sell the book for a premium when it does not deserve it.

I thought I was doing a solid, but not gonna lie, was also trying to protect myself should I ever sell it.  I have 2 emails to the same rep showing the case and the flaws, while I was on the phone directly with said rep.  So it's been reported, and not a case swap as some have explained ppl might think it is.

On 9/13/2022 at 8:14 AM, jaybuck43 said:

I feel like Customer Service was like "What are you complaining about, we gave you a gift".  No, that book is no where near a 9.8.  Personally, I'd have it at 9.0, though I'd need to see it more closely to check the corners etc.  The only thing you can do is if you go to sell it, sell it for a % of 9.8 price.  So if it's a $1,000 book in 9.8, list it for 750.  And if you decide to go the auction route, make SURE to mention several times the issue and post multiple pictures clearly showing it.  

Pretty much.  When I described it (before pictures) it seemed to be taken seriously.  After 2 emails of pictures, "that's it?"

100% won't auction it, and will see if anything happens with CGC.  To this point it has been dismissed.  If it goes nowhere, will likely sell while also disclosing that I have correspondence with CGC.

On 9/13/2022 at 9:37 AM, comicginger1789 said:

For all we know, a company could have Jimmy John set up in his garage with a machine designed to encapsulate comics and they send him some overflow every so often to help get books back to customers. And maybe Jimmy John isn't the most careful guy. 

no, but he has freakishly fast Subs 

094XVVnkQVsuM5A6E52cYuSVV_83GqjIAgPJXgs2

I think what's the most frustrating part for some of us here is that we've subbed legitimate 9.8s that have been scored 9.6 or 9.4

the inconsistency bad and good has always existed but the gaps between them are far greater and more common now

Edited by jsilverjanet

So.. 3 emails today update.

1st - well we can reholder that for you.  (not sure that addresses the issue?)

2nd - we can review it for you if you would like, free of charge.  Also, we can't tell anything definitive from the pictures... (???)

3rd - can't discuss compensation until we have the book.

My thoughts, as the novice here.

Once the book leaves my hands at this point, I am at their mercy.  There is nothing preventing receiving an 8.5 and no compensation for the difference.  They have offered zero reassurance or gratitude in 5 emails and 1 phone call that they would make this right, other than re-grade it at my request, and MAYBE offer something after they have complete control.

Why would I send it back then?  

All I have received is "that's minimal damage" then "we can reholder that" then "we can't see anything from the pictures".... from multiple reps.

Ugggh.

On 9/13/2022 at 2:45 PM, Gaard said:

@jokersonyouDid you happen to get the name of the CS rep who, after looking at the pics, told you it was a 9.8 ?

I do have the name, because the rep asked that I email them directly. :)

don’t want to call out any rep by name though.  

And as mentioned above… before seeing the pictures the rep offered to return the comic.  After I emailed the pictures the rep said “this could have been a 10 without the issue”… they justified the grading. Also kept repeating that from the same pictures posted here that the issue was minimal.  

after seeing the pictures the offer to return the comic was more or less withdrawn. 

it was after a different rep today who also saw the pictures (also have that name) that suggested I send it in for “review.”  No apologies.  Just send it in.  Also said from the pictures tough to tell. 

no admittance of any issue anywhere. 

Edited by jokersonyou

On 9/12/2022 at 7:42 PM, jokersonyou said:

I was surprised by how much damage there was to the book when I received it back.

I called in, spoke to a rep.  She started suggesting credits etc, until I sent her the pictures.  "Oh that little thing in the corner?"  She made it sound like it was virtually impossible to see the damage.  

I mean... I am not sure what else I can do here.  I have emailed multiple pictures.

Umm... These reps are not graders. She has no business telling you anything about the book's grade.

On 9/13/2022 at 10:11 AM, jsilverjanet said:

I find it hard to believe that the damage was done once encapsulated 

I'm with Janet on this one. Yes, sometimes comics move inside the case. BUT, there is no way that the corners could get bent back far enough to cause color breaking creases. Absolutely impossible.

Try it yourself. Put a comic between 2 sheets of glass, and try to bend the corners. I know, I know, the comic is looser in the slab, but you cannot bend the corner far enough to do that kind of damage.

There are only two choices here; the comic was sent in like this, or damaged by CGC! Could not happen once encapsulated. CGC needs to step up big time on this one. Suck it up, pay the man for a 9.8,

and either fire the grader, or give lots more training to said grader. This is what comes of hiring many more graders under pressure of many more submissions. I think I'm done, now, so start throwing them darts!:devil:

On 9/12/2022 at 12:37 PM, jokersonyou said:

I have done 20 or so books personally graded.  Very new to this. I received this one back on Friday. There are 2 color breaking bends to the corner and another color breaking hit an inch to the right.  I received a 9.8.  

Over the weekend I received second and third opinions.  They felt I got lucky.      

When I called CGC my first contact today after reviewing the pictures was they stood by the 9.8.  “Maybe it was a 10 otherwise” and they thought the damage was minimal. “Could be an issue they see with that book on a consistent basis.”   

Looking for more experienced thoughts than my own :)

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

90E224A3-5F56-4723-829A-5D18B2F57867.jpeg

image.jpg

@CGC Mike
Please look at this obvious error and bring in your new QC Mgr.   A solid guess is book got a grade meant for some other comic.    You want to help improve CGC perception? Then do not throw out lines like "we stand by this grade"  look at this and be honest. Everyone makes mistakes how a person or firm reacts to them is what defines them.

Huge Props the original Poster as most people woudl take the wrong grade when in their favor and sell the book immediately. IMHO this book is a 7.5/8.0 at absolute best

• Administrator
On 9/15/2022 at 7:35 AM, MAR1979 said:

@CGC Mike
Please look at this obvious error and bring in your new QC Mgr.   A solid guess is book got a grade meant for some other comic.    You want to help improve CGC perception? Then do not throw out lines like "we stand by this grade"  look at this and be honest. Everyone makes mistakes how a person or firm reacts to them is what defines them.

Huge Props the original Poster as most people woudl take the wrong grade when in their favor and sell the book immediately. IMHO this book is a 7.5/8.0 at absolute best

Sure.  To be clear though, the we stand behind comment was not directed towards something like this.  I do agree that a mistake was made or it is a severe case of SCS.