• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

San Diego ComiCon 2003

35 posts in this topic

Is it bad to incorporate the ComiCon with a honeymoon? We got married in Dec, and decided to take a late honeymoon - sometime this year. No dates were set, but we were planning on going somewhere with a beach. I figured since I want to go to the ComiCon anyway, why not kill two birds with one stone?

I see her point, as if I'm only interested in a honeymoon if comics are involved. But it's not like that. Maybe I can extend the hotel stay ($$$) and make the honeymoon part longer. (That's $400 I could have spent on comics!!)

My suggestion is just to make separate trips - don't try to tie in the Con with your honeymoon.... My wife is also not a comic lover - she went a couple years ago to San Diego with me, but probably won't ever be back. Take it from me, they just slow you down anyways smirk.gif !!! Although they are good to have to carry some of those larger purchases grin.gif

(must remember not to let my lovely wife see this message board for a few days.....)

I really think there are some things that should be done exclusively for one purpose. I can't see any way that a person not into comics can accept the idea of doubling up a honeymoon with a comic con trip, no matter how practical it may seem. "Practical" does not enter into it.

Devote your time and attention to her and the two of you for a honeymoon focused entirely on your new lives together, or spend the rest of your life going to comicons alone. That's my view smile.gif.

Is it bad to incorporate the ComiCon with a honeymoon?

Seriously, one of the worst things you could do honeymoon wise. If you were both avid collectors then sure - it would be a blast. But you aren't. Definitely seperate the two. And if you end up having to miss San Diego, miss it. Your marriage is more important.

Thanks for the tips guys. That's probably what we'll do. I just figured I could spend Friday through Wednesday, before the con, with her exclusively, and the 4 days of the comicon off and on. Kind of end the "honeymoon" by Thursday, but still compromise my time. I guess you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Here's a hint from somebody who's been married for 15 years to a woman who's into pop culture and has been to (probably) more comic conventions than most people on this board.

Mixing a honeymoon with a comicon is completely, utterly, insane.

If you mix your honeymoon with a comicon you'll get to go to many many more in the future because there won't be anybody telling you not to go, if you get my meaning.

Can't speak for the San Diego Con, but assuming it's simply bigger and better than the many cons I've attended in the SF Bay Area (including BayCon 1 in '75), the last days - nay, the last hours - of a show are the best for bargains.

If you're a dealer with 100 - 1,000 long boxes that you're looking at loading back onto a truck, you wanna lighten your load as much as possible.

At last year's WonderCon there were beautiful books for 20% of guide in the closing hours... it was heaven.

The hardest part, at least for me, is having any money left at that stage in the show smile.gif

Garthgantu

Yeah, I want to stay till Sunday for the great deals. But I'm thinking if I go alone, I can go Wed-Fri, and only pay for 2 nights at the hotel. (Drive 5 hours Friday night back home to AZ.) Paying the additional 2 nights to stay till Sunday ($140/night) would offset any blowout deal. That's $280 I can spend Friday at normal prices.

That seems like a realistic viewpoint smile.gif On the other hand, if you stayed Fri. and Sat. night, spent all your money Sun. afternoon and drove home that evening, you'd have, oh I don't know - 40% more to show for the same amount spent...

Tough call, glad I don't have to make it!

But, there's no guarantee what will be left by Sunday. True, 20% of guide is a great deal, but it's stuff that no one wanted the other 3 days. Plus, I have to go to Preview Night, and get all those cool limited ComiCon exclusives that I can flip to make money for buying on eBay. smile.gif

I'm sure I'll find some good deals early in the show. I'm not looking for the same things people on this board look for. I like getting a $70 book at half guide. At the Phoenix ComiCon last week, someone was selling Crisis 1-12 (VF-NM) for $12. I can kick myself for passing on it.

From my experience at San Diego (past 4 years), your best bet if you are looking for deals is Sunday by far. Given the types of books we're probably all talking about, there will always be stuff available. The real primo stuff goes from dealer to dealer anyway so if you're looking for a ASM 50 9.6 or whatever, it doesn't matter when you go.

Last year on Sunday I got (all unslabbed):

Sub Mariner #1 VF/NM $42.00

Iron Man/Sub Mariner #1 VF/NM $28.00

Plop #1 NM+ $4.00

Welcome Back Kotter 1,2,3,4 NM+ $14.00 total

Fantastic Four 52 Fine $8.00

I missed some stuff I should've pulled the trigger on earlier, but if you want to get a Tomb Of Dracula #1 or something, you're better off trying to get it on Sunday than on Friday.