• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Signature Series Book with Apparent Slight Restoration

5 posts in this topic

I am considering purchasing a Signature Series comic that has slight restoration to it. The label indicates "Restoration includes: small amount of color touch on cover". The grader notes say "Center Spine Restoration Small Color Touch". 

Am I correct in my understanding that CGC can remove the restoration and then regrade the comic without it getting a label that indicates restoration? I assume the grade will lower due to the restoration removal. 

Is this a completely crazy thought by me? Right now it is a 6.0 Apparent. Would it be better to have a 4.0 with no restoration? 

On 9/19/2022 at 11:44 AM, O Doyle Rules said:

I am considering purchasing a Signature Series comic that has slight restoration to it. The label indicates "Restoration includes: small amount of color touch on cover". The grader notes say "Center Spine Restoration Small Color Touch". 

Am I correct in my understanding that CGC can remove the restoration and then regrade the comic without it getting a label that indicates restoration? I assume the grade will lower due to the restoration removal. 

Is this a completely crazy thought by me? Right now it is a 6.0 Apparent. Would it be better to have a 4.0 with no restoration? 

Be careful if you are relying on the words "Small."  You should confirm that with an expert BEFORE you agree to get the resto removed.

I had a book with allegedly "Small" Color Touch that ended up being about 2 inches by 2 inches (a 2x2 square of black india ink)

So the minor scraping that was done, took the book from apparent 9.8 to apparent 9.6 and it was still PLOD.

It was so disheartening. So beware, my friend.

On 9/19/2022 at 11:44 AM, O Doyle Rules said:

Would it be better to have a 4.0 with no restoration? 

• Yes, your understanding is correct. CCS performs restoration removal services.
  • "Better" is subjective. Depending on the quality and quantity of work, I have no problems with restored comic books.

On 9/20/2022 at 5:31 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:
  • Yes, your understanding is correct. CCS performs restoration removal services.
  • "Better" is subjective. Depending on the quality and quantity of work, I have no problems with restored comic books.

As always, you answer my questions clearly and concisely. Thank you Sir! 

On 9/19/2022 at 3:51 PM, seanfingh said:

Be careful if you are relying on the words "Small."  You should confirm that with an expert BEFORE you agree to get the resto removed.

I had a book with allegedly "Small" Color Touch that ended up being about 2 inches by 2 inches (a 2x2 square of black india ink)

So the minor scraping that was done, took the book from apparent 9.8 to apparent 9.6 and it was still PLOD.

It was so disheartening. So beware, my friend.

Yeah this has been my experience as well. I just finished removing CT on a book for another board member, and the CGC notes were Slight B-1 (Small amount of color touch on cover) but the amount I found was far more than I ever expected (basically a full straight 2" line down the center of the cover, several small blotches along the spine, and another small 1/8" blot CGC missed on the right edge of the book).