• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm glad I picked the right hobby.
2 2

45 posts in this topic

On 9/23/2022 at 10:11 PM, Ken Aldred said:

They'd be completely clueless, be told there's nothing valuable, and take £50 for the lot.  It's the kind of scenario you can predict a mile off.

True and to, perhaps, sound morose, dishonesty by far too many people is considered a virtue.

Most collections are bagged and boarded.  How difficult is it to write a little summary of your purchase on the board?  Your loved ones may not know that Defenders 10 is worth more than Defenders 11-35 combined, but you can leave them clues.

On 9/24/2022 at 7:34 AM, shadroch said:

Most collections are bagged and boarded.  How difficult is it to write a little summary of your purchase on the board?  Your loved ones may not know that Defenders 10 is worth more than Defenders 11-35 combined, but you can leave them clues.

I have lots of info written on the backs of my boards. Issue, month, year, pertinent info about origins, first appearances, artists ect. I also keep them up to date on an excell spread sheet.

I do not put current value though. I do put a very small round red sticker on the front of the Mylar. And a matching red dot on my spread sheet. With a note in my instructions to my heirs that these books are worth considerably more than “Guide”. We all know how much many “honest” dealers love to use it when buying collections from unsuspecting “victims”.

I also have a list of 3 dealers for them to call when the time comes. Told them to take the highest price. 

I put what I paid on each board.  If a book is worth more than $50, it gets a green dot sticker. $100 gets a yellow sticker, $1000 gets two yellow stickers.  Of course, it is all moot in my case as I sold my books.  I was on Facebook and two people are already pushing The Bisbee Collection.

On 9/23/2022 at 3:03 PM, Krydel4 said:

Joes will be around for a good while. Eventually there will be another cartoon series. And if they ever make a good movie... who knows. 

Retaliation Director's Cut makes that an extremely watchable film. I believe it was only ever exclusive to Best Buy (I had to order a copy from America just to try and get a watchable version of the movie).