• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hulk 181 cover possibly damaged inside slab during shipping?
1 1

Was cover damaged in shipping?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Would you contact Ebay and the seller to initiate return?

• Yes, I would contact seller/Ebay to initiate return (The book appears to have been damaged in shipping or does not appear as it did in listing photos).
    • No, the book appears to be the same in listing photos as it does in person.
    • No, the damage to the cover may have worsened in shipping, but I would keep the book anyway as is.
    • It's too difficult to tell, I'm not sure what I would do.

14 posts in this topic

Looking for some guidance on this one. I recently negotiated an Ebay deal on a Hulk 181 5.0 Green label. When the package arrived the first thing I noticed was that the exterior box had sustained some damage. The box was crushed on one side. I immediately realized upon handling the package that I could feel the slab sliding back and forth inside the exterior box. I opened the box to find the slab was inside a thin manila mailer envelop will just a minimal amount of packing material. The interior manila mailer envelope, which housed the slab, was not secure at all and could freely move within the larger box. 

When I finally pulled the slab out of the manila envelope, instead of being overcome with joy at laying eyes on this grail, I was immediately set back by what I saw. The interior of the book (pages) extends beyond the top of the cover by an 1/8th of an inch from one side to the other. At first glance I thought the cover had been trimmed. Upon further investigation I began to assume that the cover had become (partially?) detached from the staples (while inside the slab since encapsulation / this has been documented) during shipping. I went back to review the eBay listing photos to see if it looked this way before shipping. I did notice in the Ebay photos, what I thought was simply the top of the pages of the books, could be signs of the cover being partially detached. I measured multiple reference points in the original listing photos (the "s" font type at the end of "pages" under the grade measures 1/16th of an inch in the original ebay photos, the gap between the top of the cover and the top of the "pages" measures the same or slightly smaller than the "s", less than 1/16th of an inch in the original listing photos). I then measured the same reference points on the book itself. It seems if there was some detachment of the cover from the staples before, that it has since doubled in size during the shipping process (at least between when the listing photos were taken and when it arrived in my possession). 

Any thoughts before I reach out to the Ebay seller? Is there a consensus that the detachment (if present before) has worsened due to poor packaging and shipping? It's barely noticeable in the listing photos and quite striking in person. 

Thanks in advance! 

(Photos in posts below)

Edited by SpceWrnglr

@SpceWrnglr that's a tough one!

I'd probably leave as is but that said do what your gut tells you, or at least show it to the seller and see what he says. There is such a thing as a "partial refund", but idk, maybe others will have a firmer opinion.

I'm not sure what your ruler is supposed to show, but I do see that the cover has slid less than a quarter of an inch from the top, which can happen

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

You can see the staple tears that correlate to the shift.  It’s possible the book was already this way when slabbed, and the pages were just tapped in line with the cover in the original photos.   Unless there weren’t any staple tears prior to shipping....

On 9/22/2022 at 2:05 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I would return it. Based on your description, it seems that the seller packed this book in a way that left it susceptible to additional damage in-shipping. If you take that risk, this is what can happen. When this happens, I return the book. 2c

Yep. A heartbreaker for sure, but this. ^ Unless you think you'll feel more regret returning it than keeping it.

On 9/22/2022 at 2:05 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I would return it. Based on your description, it seems that the seller packed this book in a way that left it susceptible to additional damage in-shipping. If you take that risk, this is what can happen. When this happens, I return the book. 2c

I received a 9.2 NM 98 that was basically just banging up against the sides of the box for it’s whole trip.  I was amazed that I didn’t see any signs of SCS upon inspecting the book.  
But when I took some pics of the book, I noticed the pages showing about an 1/8” about the cover.  With light tapping you could shift the interiors a 1/4” up and down :facepalm:

Obviously that book went back....

After doing a quick little deep dive into the details, I’m officially in the “return it” camp as well.  Book was shipped using the Global shipping program.  ‘Damaged in transit’ & you’ll get a full refund or better.    

I don’t think the staple tears actually impact the grade, but the book sliding around will indeed drive you crazy.  

Didn’t get the book at a steal or anything.  You can use the same money to buy a copy that will bring you joy rather than frustration.