• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Signed comics

5 posts in this topic

Hello all,

So I am new, or better well said returning to collecting comics. Part of me wants to do it to make some money, but most of me wants to do it for the thrill, admiration and (many other words for truly liking the art) of the comic books and the talented artists. 

That said, my question is simple. Is it financially worth purchasing a comic that is signed? Or is it wiser (financially speaking) to purchase a good copy, then get it signed in a manner where I can then get it submitted to CGC for their signature series service?

I have a Batman 608 that is signed by Lee. I got it at a good price, but now I can’t get it on the SS series, right?

Advice, guidance, thoughts, feelings are all accepted and would be both greatly appreciated and encouraged. 

Your fellow Collector,

Marc 

The answer is generally…. It depends.  The book, the creator, the sig, the condition, geography, finances, your collection, how much your time is worth, your risk preferences, etc. 

If your book is signed raw, it will not get the Cgc SS designation if you submit to Cgc.

Edited by revat

On 9/21/2022 at 3:34 PM, 67Marc said:

That said, my question is simple. Is it financially worth purchasing a comic that is signed? Or is it wiser (financially speaking) to purchase a good copy, then get it signed in a manner where I can then get it submitted to CGC for their signature series service?

I have a Batman 608 that is signed by Lee. I got it at a good price, but now I can’t get it on the SS series, right?

Fix that font size!

My opinion: Always buy previously-signed if you can. This way, you don't have to deal with lengthy TATs at CGC.

Correct, comics that are signed that CGC has not witnessed are not eligible for the Signature Series.

I've used the CGC signature series quite a bit and the turn-around is pretty fast - about 3 months including a press.

I wouldn't say it's profitable, but I enjoy having signed books.  Books by well-admired deceased signers I think do go for a premium, especially for the more desirable issues and grades.

My advice is the age-old collect what you enjoy.

Agree with the above. During Covid lockdowns and continuing now, I've been taking advantage of the many CGC Signature Series offerings that have come up. In this day and age, I always look at raw, signed books as possible forgeries and trust the Sig Series because of the witness criteria. But it all comes down to what you personally want.