• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Well Known Comic Shop assumes no responsibility for selling me a restored $500 TOD 1
3 3

32 posts in this topic

Years ago, I bought a Showcase 22 from a LCS near me and ended up selling it here on the boards. That buyer got it graded and it came back with minor color touch. I sucked it up and took the return then brought it to the original LCS to see if we could work something out, even if a refund of my original purchase price was off the table. In all scenarios I was going to lose money but I was hoping the LCS would help alleviate some of that pain. They told me to go fist myself.

I've never returned to that LCS, as they've lost my business for life. However, I did learn to check all books thoroughly, at home, whether bought online or in person, as soon as possible, no matter how reputable the seller. 

Edited by Ryan.

On 9/25/2022 at 12:43 PM, shadroch said:

I go through life assuming people I meet are honest. If I'm wrong, they'll reveal themselves soon enough. I believe most honest people think that way. 

Any store or dealer who refuses a return the moment they ship deserves to be called out.

But you're not assuming the store is honest, so you're choosing sides with zero info. Plus, you've never "met" either the store or the OP. 

As far as "the moment they ship," the amount of buyer scams have gone up exponentially, and sellers don't have nearly the recourse buyers do, so having policies like that may be the only protection they can hope for, if it even would work.

On 9/25/2022 at 12:27 PM, Hulksdaddy1 said:

But you're not assuming the store is honest, so you're choosing sides with zero info. Plus, you've never "met" either the store or the OP. 

As far as "the moment they ship," the amount of buyer scams have gone up exponentially, and sellers don't have nearly the recourse buyers do, so having policies like that may be the only protection they can hope for, if it even would work.

It's always good to see how the other side thinks. 

On 9/25/2022 at 8:08 AM, ThothAmon said:

They should make you whole regardless of “fault”. It’s called customer service. Not outing them is what I find strange?

I agree.

I prefer not to out them because that was never the purposes of this post,  the purpose of this post is to seek guidance from experienced buyers and collectors on how to handle the situation based on their experiences and wisdom.

I am still actively trying to work something out with the company regardless of the managers last email.  So at the end of the day if they make good on it then there is nothing to warn people of. 

There are a couple of fairly new staff that really care about customer service and relationships and have worked really hard to turn the companies reputation around, and it’s slowly changing.  I’ve now reached out to the staff who actually care and they are going to see what they can do.  

I will have a better idea tomorrow and will keep everyone updated as soon as I hear back. Sorry for the delay in responding, im actually on a little vacation and spent the day traveling from New York to New Orleans. 

Also thank you to everyone who has offered some insight.

On 9/25/2022 at 10:55 PM, CommunityComics said:

I am still actively trying to work something out with the company regardless of the managers last email.  So at the end of the day if they make good on it then there is nothing to warn people of.

Except for the fact that a "well-known shop" cannot detect restoration with consistency, and may ghost you if you present them with a case in which they should take responsibility?

On 9/25/2022 at 8:01 AM, CommunityComics said:

im not sure if that’s true, and I’m not sure I agree, this is a very big organization in the industry with in-house graders ( all their raw books have grades literally printed on the backing board the books come bagged in) they have a giant catalog and several locations.  They sell books from current titles to 100k pedigree books, and are actively selling at least 3 or 4 times a day on Ig claim sales 

Torpedo.

On 9/24/2022 at 7:08 PM, CommunityComics said:

There policy is once a raw comic book is mailed out there is no way to know if it’s the same book they sent me.  

Are you sure their policy is "no returns" on raw books?   I've seen lots of "no returns on slabbed books, and 7 day returns on raws"-type policies.  But I've never seen a dealer with a stated policy that accepts slabbed returns but not raws. 

Is their "no returns" policy stated clearly when you purchase from them?  If not, you could have some recourse through a state consumer protection agency.  Your mileage may vary because laws differ from state to state, but where I'm from a "no returns" policy must be stated prior to purchase.