• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this comic a candidate for a clean and press?

8 posts in this topic

The short answer is substantial spine roll can be corrected. Probably needs to be corrected if you were thinking about grading it because it might be to large (wide) to fit in a comic book slab as is. 

The longer answer is it needs evaluation for if safe to press. Hard to accurately judge paper quality by pictures. But the paper on the spine looks pretty tan and week, small tears and a piece out are visible. Maybe a spine split at the bottom of the cover? And the the book is manufactured with one staple. So just from the pictures, I believe there is some risk of spine splits or staple pulling loose from the cover. And you only have one staple holding the cover on. So the possibility exits of having a detached cover after pressing. 

Removing spine roll makes a big visual difference. So if it suffered no damage in getting pressed you would have a much more attractive copy. 

Edited by Tony S

On 9/26/2022 at 12:36 AM, Tony S said:

The longer answer is it needs evaluation for if safe to press.

Best ways to obtain this evaluation? Submit to a professional that does evaluations before C & P? 

On 9/26/2022 at 12:36 AM, Tony S said:

Probably needs to be corrected if you were thinking about grading

Yes, that is my thoughts. 

Edited by O Doyle Rules

On 9/26/2022 at 8:02 AM, Klonk said:

Tony's such a nice guy,  I'm sure he's not offended by this lol

I'm sorry - I am relatively new posting here - I do not know who Tony is and did not know he is in the business. Where do I find him at? Edited my previous post to not mention any one person. I am really just looking to be pointed in a good direction on the possible C & P of this book. 

Edited by O Doyle Rules

On 9/25/2022 at 9:48 PM, O Doyle Rules said:

If so, any educated guesses to the how much the comic can be improved? For example can the extreme spine roll be corrected? Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks to all who reply!

ac1.jpg

ac4.jpg

ac2.jpg

ac3.jpg

ac5.jpg

I hope your user name is based on Its Always Sunny In Philadelphia. 
As Tony stated, it requires an evaluation to determine if it’s ‘safe’ for a C&P. A forum member recently documented how CGC returned a submission for C&P due to the condition. In short, they believed the comic would gain additional damage during the process. 
Best of luck with the path you choose.