• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Closed - Pure Carp - Closed
5 5

206 posts in this topic

As my good acquaintance @cd4ever used to say smoke and refill your drink break. I will try to be back tonight with some more. Unless I lock myself out.

On 9/25/2022 at 9:10 PM, speedcake said:

what a pile of pure, unadulterated carp

Thank you - glad you enjoyed the carp-fest, Charlie! :banana: 

On 9/25/2022 at 10:18 PM, lizards2 said:

Grading: I have been in the hobby for almost 50 years..., yes, I am ALMOST Social Security drawing old. I try to be conservative in grading, and have cracked about 400++ slabs, so am in tune mostly with CGCs random grading practices through the ages. I can show you 9.0s that are 9.6s and 9.6s that are 9.0s. Consistency-shartmistency.

:banana:

On 9/26/2022 at 7:50 AM, crassus said:

I was wondering if anyone has started a "grumpy old men...comics edition" thread somewhere....always figured the guys in the Golden Age forum probably had one, but haven't seriously looked, if so it would be great to get together and complain about how everything was better, and even the drek was better drek, in the good old days....creases were sharper and clearer, everyone smoked so you didn't notice the cig smoke on everything, the LCS "comic book guy" was a real jerk, and not today's wannabe poser jerks....man I miss the old days... 

:preach: You pesky young Frostbacks get off my lawn!   Errrr...., thread! :preach:

On 9/25/2022 at 10:24 PM, lizards2 said:

:news: SOLD!!! :news: 
Brave and the Bold #89, CGC 9.4 OW/W pages. $175 due to slab damage.
Batman and the Phantom Stranger

Looks like Robin is a little stiff in the background.  I do not have a back cover scan/photo of this one, but the BC is clean and white. I can try a photo with my cell phone if interested. The slab was damaged in shipping when it was sent to me - see lower down pics.  There is no damage to the book. Phantom Strangers seem to be boinking the sky lately.

BB89cgc9.4.thumb.jpeg.8f6dde135acb72c8dfe4fd3846345e6e.jpegResized952022040395130448957544.thumb.jpg.209d0149894345af26a307dec38f99dc.jpgResized952022040395130522955520.thumb.jpg.4c88f131de3b255ec62442fc91b5b3cb.jpg

:shy:

I was wondering if anyone has started a "grumpy old men...comics edition" thread somewhere....always figured the guys in the Golden Age forum probably had one, but haven't seriously looked, if so it would be great to get together and complain about how everything was better, and even the drek was better drek, in the good old days....creases were sharper and clearer, everyone smoked so you didn't notice the cig smoke on everything, the LCS "comic book guy" was a real jerk, and not today's wannabe poser jerks....man I miss the old days... 

I thought that was what the whole "Golden Age" section was for lol

On 9/26/2022 at 11:17 AM, 707comics said:

I thought that was what the whole "Golden Age" section was for

I'm old, but not THAT old. :eyeroll:

On 9/26/2022 at 10:50 AM, crassus said:

lizards2 only plays the the curmudgeon for the comical opportunities it provides. Imagine Robin Williams channeling Michael Douglas in Falling Down.

So far he has been very nice to me. But I am offering him money in return for services so ....... I could just be getting the smile treatment. Some dealers will not even smile before the money exchange.

hm

Edited by dover

On 9/26/2022 at 11:32 AM, whomerjay said:

lizards2 only plays the the curmudgeon for the comical opportunities it provides. Imagine Robin Williams channeling Michael Douglas in Falling Down.

He's just an ex-con who's trying to go straight and get his kids back

benderwrestling.jpg

On 9/26/2022 at 1:32 PM, whomerjay said:
On 9/26/2022 at 9:50 AM, crassus said:

I'm not so sure lizards2 acts like a jerk sometimes just because it's funny. 

Of course I find it funny.  Though my memory is fuzzy whether I've ever been at the receiving end.

On 9/26/2022 at 11:57 AM, grebal said:

I'm not so sure lizards2 acts like a jerk sometimes just because it's funny. 

Of course I find it funny.  Though my memory is fuzzy whether I've ever been at the receiving end.

Pretty sure you haven't been on the receiving end.

Last time it blew up on me was when a boardie posted a thread titled "Cool Books", and I posted "Not Cool." in the thread. You would have thought I beat him bloody with Daredevil's billy club with all the crying, wailing and of course, the lamentations of the women. I don't think he ever got it. :sorry: 

On 9/26/2022 at 2:09 PM, lizards2 said:

Last time it blew up on me was when a boardie posted a thread titled "Cool Books", and I posted "Not Cool." in the thread. You would have thought I beat him bloody with Daredevil's billy club with all the crying, wailing and of course, the lamentations of the women. I don't think he ever got it. :sorry: 

I've heard tale that yoga is usually required if you are on @lizards2's receiving end.

On 9/26/2022 at 12:09 PM, lizards2 said:

that's not cool