• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC now featuring newsstand copy designation
6 6

215 posts in this topic

On 9/28/2022 at 8:38 PM, Mr. Zipper said:

Serious question. Are there newsstand editions that are indistinguishable from direct editions?

As a rule, if you know what you're doing, no. But which of these newsstands is easier to miss, do you think?

233.thumb.jpg.d1a9b0f792a871c5d83cf0e7f119f80c.jpg233n.thumb.jpg.1d08541c88a213ac423e139455072b70.jpg

607.thumb.jpg.8c309f99a6c2c6d61ee3f8cbc8a15313.jpg607ne.thumb.jpg.924b7ecbbdcade9043e24798ee326e1e.jpg

On 9/28/2022 at 3:52 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

As a rule, if you know what you're doing, no. But which of these newsstands is easier to miss, do you think?

233.thumb.jpg.d1a9b0f792a871c5d83cf0e7f119f80c.jpg233n.thumb.jpg.1d08541c88a213ac423e139455072b70.jpg

607.thumb.jpg.8c309f99a6c2c6d61ee3f8cbc8a15313.jpg607ne.thumb.jpg.924b7ecbbdcade9043e24798ee326e1e.jpg

There are many big time dealers who miss the second one. BTW if you have a NS 607 let me know.

and, just fyi, how does this get labeled now? Canadian Price Variant? Newsstand? Canadian Priced Newsstand?

spiderman233.jpeg

On 9/28/2022 at 2:51 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

this is where I started the thread that at, it oversaturates the Newsstand Label "market", it just doesn't mean the same thing.

Instead people "may" have to ask, "why is it a newsstand edition?" 

given price differences are notated on the label, but when you look at a book like X-force #116, it just says newsstand edition (thumbsu 

so idk, seems like a long way to go for clarity, I guess that is the future? :) 

when X-force #116 has different wording on the cover, so no a "newsstand edition" doesn't mean just the barcode (thumbsu

while it does have that too. A "newsstand edition" book needs more clarity on the label? Maybe I'm alone in that or where not to that point yet, haha

On 9/28/2022 at 2:18 PM, valiantman said:

Agreed on all 10 points.

What should the price be?  I keep seeing people say, "I might pay up to 10% extra", but a book that turns up once in every eighty sales is going to have a higher premium than one that turns up once in every three sales.

It's all math. It can't be 10% every time.

Agreed but 10% is my personal limit and only for Marvel. Any book in which I'd deviate from 10% I probably already own.  As for DC unlike Marvel where the Price area is different, with DC it's only the UPC rectangle. Thus 1980's newsstand DC's hold no additional interest for me. What I do find interesting as my collection scanning project continues, a lot of 1980-1987 DC CGC slabs I purchased from 2000-2020 are newsstands. Since I did not seek them out makes me think those numbers are not as low as some factions desire to believe.

Please note in general I do not purchase 1990's or newer books.  My comments refer to my pre-1990 collecting interests

Edited by MAR1979

I am not sure why anyone would be surprised about this. Post acquisition CGC has been focused on growing revenues by any way possible.

FWIW, they should come up with a newsstand bar code/price box collage label that they can charge people $5 for as well.

Edited by kimik

On 9/28/2022 at 8:55 PM, FlyingDonut said:

There are many big time dealers who miss the second one. BTW if you have a NS 607 let me know.

and, just fyi, how does this get labeled now? Canadian Price Variant? Newsstand? Canadian Priced Newsstand?

spiderman233.jpeg

"Canadian Price Variant"

On 9/28/2022 at 2:52 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

I'll be particularly interested in seeing how CGC handles the weird edge cases. In particular:

• Spawn #2. Image changed from the DM glossy paper to the newsprint NS paper during production of Spawn #2. Literally during. NS copies exist with both papers (additionally, the thin-paper one has the month ("JUNE") removed from the cover.
  • Spawn #16 through #77 (excluding #69-#71). Image shipped NS books via two different distributors for this period, because reasons. Accordingly, these books exist with two different ISBNs. One of them is consistently much rarer than the other (for #69-#71, NS copies were only available through the low-volume distributor).

As far as the hardest books to distinguish NS vs DM? Unquestionably the various issues where the barcode is on the back instead of the front.

On 9/28/2022 at 3:43 PM, valiantman said:

I don't understand the argument in the first place. Why would CGC ever put "Variant Edition" on a label if it "is readily apparent from looking at the cover"?

There's more reason to indicate that a book like Ultimate Fallout #4 is newsstand on the CGC label than any reason to say that Ultimate Fallout #4 Variant is a variant. Of course it's a variant, the cover isn't the same! Why would CGC waste time labeling it as a variant?

Again, I don't understand the original @Axelrod objection.

Well, two things here.  First, when something is a "variant" cover, that is not, in fact, something that is readily apparent from looking at the cover.  How would one know, unless one were looking at both books at the same time, that one cover was the "regular" version of the cover and one completely different looking cover was a special "variant" cover of the same book?    

Second, you may have missed the larger point I was trying to make, which was not that there is completely zero value in identifying "newstand" editions, but that this information on the label seems rather less important to me than the information which was previously placed on CGC labels regarding material defects of the book which might NOT be readily apparent from looking at the cover.  Information which CGC is removing from their labels and apparently relegating to the grader's notes.  

On 9/28/2022 at 9:17 PM, Qalyar said:

I'll be particularly interested in seeing how CGC handles the weird edge cases. In particular:

• Spawn #2. Image changed from the DM glossy paper to the newsprint NS paper during production of Spawn #2. Literally during. NS copies exist with both papers (additionally, the thin-paper one has the month ("JUNE") removed from the cover.
  • Spawn #16 through #77 (excluding #69-#71). Image shipped NS books via two different distributors for this period, because reasons. Accordingly, these books exist with two different ISBNs. One of them is consistently much rarer than the other (for #69-#71, NS copies were only available through the low-volume distributor).

As far as the hardest books to distinguish NS vs DM? Unquestionably the various issues where the barcode is on the back instead of the front.

My money's on them f:censored:ing it up.

On 9/28/2022 at 9:32 PM, Qalyar said:

That's probably the smart bet, but I'd like to think that since they're implementing this as a new process, they have a chance not to make a total :censored:-show of it from the start.

Have you met CGC? 

On 9/28/2022 at 11:46 AM, Pittsburgh said:

The collectors who seem to be against the designation are coming off as very rude.  However you base your objections, calling other people "rubes" or "suckers" is quite sad if that's part of why you don't like something.

I hope you're not talking about me here, because I'm absolutely not against the designation. They should have done it decades ago.

I am very much against lies from people trying (successfully, in this case :() to manipulate a market for their own profit.

I enjoy newsstands and have actively sought them out for my collection.

If you like collecting them, good for you. (thumbsu

I know that they can be harder to find but would never put an actual newsstand ratio in the listing (which I personally have never seen on eBay)

Try opening your eyes next time you use the site. (shrug) I've seen it many times, and I only occasionally look at the site since I don't use it for transactions (I don't even have an account anymore).

if I ever sold.  To each, their own.  I completely respect paqart and valiantman for at least attempting to justify their reasoning. 

I'm happy that CGC will designate newsstands, but, as someone who has never sent in comics for grading (because I don't care to), I'll just keep collecting my raw versions. 

I don't care what other people collect. I do care what ridiculous claims they make.

Is anyone actually considering reholder?

I "am" but not sure what the label will look like or if there are other definitions than what cgc laid out in the link.

"Newsstand edition because it also has a 'direct' version, and or, not Newsstand only", it just doesn't clarify well enough.

Books I'd consider batman #608,609,612. Asm v2 #30, #430. Spider-man noir #1. Brave and the bold killing joke prelude. Thor 337, 338, 339. Hulk 234. 

But why? Some of those are really common. And that is a lot of reholders. Are they going to offer a reholder discount at first? Like they did with crossover books? So much is wait and see, and a lot of it makes me happy I either own them already or that the bottom just fell out due to over saturation of what was only perceived preference.  :goodvsevil:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 9/28/2022 at 3:38 PM, Mr. Zipper said:

Serious question. Are there newsstand editions that are indistinguishable from direct editions?

If not, what value does the notation on the CGC label add if it is stating the obvious? Are there collectors who will pay more for a slabbed "newsstand" copy because it has the label notation? doh!

I usually look for the Curtis symbol (cc) on the FC price box for older stuff, and also where the barcode may be on the BC, and on the barcode for newer books like UF4.

On 9/28/2022 at 2:38 PM, Mr. Zipper said:

No.

If not, what value does the notation on the CGC label add if it is stating the obvious?

Full and proper identification of the comic. Which has, ridiculously and unfortunately, been a problem for CGC.

Are there collectors who will pay more for a slabbed "newsstand" copy because it has the label notation? doh!

Probably. Lots of people are... :facepalm:

On 9/28/2022 at 4:41 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Is anyone actually considering reholder?

I "am" but not sure what the label will look like or if there are other definitions than what cgc laid out in the link.

"Newsstand edition because it also has a 'direct' version, and or, not Newsstand only", it just doesn't clarify well enough.

Books I'd consider batman #608,609,612. Asm v2 #30, #430. Spider-man noir #1. Brave and the bold killing joke prelude. Thor 337, 338, 339. Hulk 234. 

But why? Some of those are really common. And that is a lot of reholders. Are they going to offer a reholder discount at first? Like they did with crossover books? So much is wait and see, and a lot of it makes me happy I either own them already or that the bottom just fell out due to over saturation of what was only perceived preference.  :goodvsevil:

Hey,

Hulk 234 was April 1979 cover date (Jan 1979 on-sale date), June 1979 cover date (March 1979 on-sale date) was first month Marvel newsstand and direct-sale were differentiated.  June 1979 cover date first had line through UPC and Price area was same direct and newsstand. In July 1979 depending on book the narrow diamond price area and disembodied Spidey head in UPS rectangle was first used. So don't send the Hulk 234 in :)

Re-holders in general scare me at current time.  To risky IMHO to have a book damaged. Perhaps if and when Q/C is again performed with CGC?

Edited by MAR1979

On 9/28/2022 at 3:17 PM, Qalyar said:

That depends on the issue. There are many that can be distinguished from the front cover alone.

On 9/28/2022 at 3:53 PM, djpinkpanther67 said:

I usually look for the Curtis symbol (cc) on the FC price box for older stuff, and also where the barcode may be on the BC, and on the barcode for newer books like UF4.

But that doesn't always work. You have to know.

On 9/28/2022 at 12:31 PM, Sigur Ros said:

No kidding.

It was ridiculous watching the name calling and the "it's all lies!"..."stop repeating that!!"...  followed by no explanation or supporting evidence.

Well, I'm so sorry that people aren't re-posting entire lengthy threads (yes, plural) here for you. meh

On 9/28/2022 at 12:31 PM, Sigur Ros said:

Anyway, newsstands are worth more in most cases which is proven by people paying more.  Whether people like that or not, doesn't matter.

I'll refer you to the top of this page.

On 9/28/2022 at 3:32 PM, Qalyar said:

That's probably the smart bet, but I'd like to think that since they're implementing this as a new process, they have a chance not to make a total :censored:-show of it from the start.

I thought when they added prices to the notes for Canadian Newsstands that the whole point was to assist them in choosing the proper entry for the comic, because they were getting it wrong so often before that. Whether it was or not, it didn't work. :facepalm: