• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC now featuring newsstand copy designation
6 6

215 posts in this topic

On 9/26/2022 at 3:31 PM, Lazyboy said:

lies

??? What lies, hopefully nothing I’ve written? I’ve been watching the distinction for a long time and the market clearly sees the difference between newsstands and direct copies. As to rarity, early directs seem rarer and warrant a premium and later newsstands definitely are rarer. 

On 9/26/2022 at 12:00 PM, djpinkpanther67 said:

I take full responsibility for this.

The past couple years, I have stubbornly been notating newsstand copies on my submission forms, even though I knew it wouldn’t make it on the label.

They finally caved.

:highfive:

I've been collecting Sienkiewicz covers and there are a few that have very hard to find newsstand editions. So yeah, I'd like that on my months/years of searching rewarded with that distinction. 

Edited by Chaz G.

On 9/26/2022 at 2:42 PM, ThothAmon said:

??? What lies, hopefully nothing I’ve written? I’ve been watching the distinction for a long time and the market clearly sees the difference between newsstands and direct copies. As to rarity, early directs seem rarer and warrant a premium and later newsstands definitely are rarer. 

I don't think you're one of the liars. At least not in this thread or that I recall otherwise (I can't keep track of all of them, there are just too many :().

Do you think it's coincidence that the Newsstand market exploded after people latched onto and widely spread blatant lies, faulty assumptions and other misinformation?

On 9/26/2022 at 3:56 PM, Lazyboy said:

widely spread blatant lies, faulty assumptions and other misinformation?

Not defending any of those things but why can’t you give the many collectors who have spoken with their money otherwise a little more credit?  Collecting newsstands isn’t my cup of tea but I sure love finding them in my collection. It’s about 1/15 post ‘86. Pretty large sample size. 

On 9/26/2022 at 7:43 AM, MAR1979 said:

"Because we want to cash in on re-holdering"

"Because people can't seem to discern the difference between a newsstand and direct" 

"We will also be offering complimentary instructional how-to booklets covering topics of: turning on a lightswitch, how to use a doorknob and the correct way to use a fork."

On 9/26/2022 at 11:46 AM, ThothAmon said:

I love the idea. Finally it will shut up people on both sides of the debate with real data. As to why their doing it?  Collector demand for sure and my guess that CGC has almost finished with its glut and has a ton of excess processing capacity they need to fill. 

I'm going to disagree with this. IMO, there is only one reason CGC does anything ... money.

On 9/26/2022 at 4:59 PM, Gaard said:
On 9/26/2022 at 10:46 AM, ThothAmon said:

I love the idea. Finally it will shut up people on both sides of the debate with real data. As to why their doing it?  Collector demand for sure and my guess that CGC has almost finished with its glut and has a ton of excess processing capacity they need to fill. 

I'm going to disagree with this. IMO, there is only one reason CGC does anything ... money.

Um... exactly? (shrug)

On 9/26/2022 at 5:25 PM, Lazyboy said:

Um... exactly? (shrug)

I thought it was same difference as well, but this continues to undermine already established newsstand labels? Imo, yes, a bit watered down.

It would be different if they listed a link in what describes a newsstand, cause if what they've done in the past means anything "also a direct version" is kind of misleading....

That doesn't give history of cgc proven track record, and kind of saws off the branch they were sitting on, so idk

Is it really going to end up saying "newsstand?" @CGC Mike with no other qualifiers?

Not to be considered the same as "newsstand edition?" Someone at cgc may need to clarify in writing for those who will inevitably ask. Is my thoughts. Would be nice if we had someone to ask or who could ask :shy:

On 9/26/2022 at 1:19 PM, Lazyboy said:

:facepalm:

Just what we need; more people spreading this nonsense.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

I would just like to take this opportunity to publicly say:
:censored: you, CGC! Eat a giant bag of :censored:!

On 9/26/2022 at 1:26 PM, ThothAmon said:

When I get incensed by the apparent idiocy of others collecting tastes I immediately remember I collect funny books. Glass houses. 

Very true. But the newsstand thing is a bit...extra. That's reeeeeeally a stretch to make them sound like they are some sort of rare item. Classifying exclusivity of your book based on whether it was purchased at a comic shop or a grocery store is nearing the absolute point of desperation in determining value. I don't disagree with the numbers, I disagree with the importance of those numbers, and the hype people have tried to generate with them. What's next? The valuation of metallic compounds in the metal used in the staples? What about *who* you bought it from? If you bought it from a man, or a woman, or the even-rarer "I bought this from a female comic book shop owner!" That could be one of the rarest rare rarities ever slabbed at CGC!

I mean, we laughed long and heartily over the idiotic CVS sticker when it first came out, and here we are eight years later and there's another company doing the same thing - so the joke is on me. I never thought CVS would even survive because I didn't think there were enough people in the world to pay actual money for someone to say "boy, your book looks great for the grade!".

I'm not a fan of moving the chains of collectibility of things. If people continually re-define or re-classify the parameters of a hobby, that's generally a sign of something negative happening.

Edited by Dr. Balls

That's what I was getting at, currently or recently there were designations with a qualifier for the Newsstand, as to why it was on the label. Ie "newsstand edition" as a qualifier or descriptive term in the price of a Newsstand.

Are the new labels just going to say "Newsstand?" And that's it?

How does that now water down the previous qualifiers? How does it provide a "Newsstand" only as "also has a direct version" in the cgc link" above? what are people going to say when they see a new Newsstand only and compare it to a Newsstand with a qualifier...? Ie Newsstand edition 

It is a blanket statement in the link? that can't be their official stance, or if it is, it will be updated and clarified. I hope. Maybe their awaiting feedback idk

Edited 1 minute ago by ADAMANTIUM

So thinking I am misunderstood or confusing, I see now cgc will continue to describe ALL newsstand as "newsstand edition." Presumably that is what the label will say, so I have my answer.

Price newsstand edition such as "$3.99 newsstand edition" will appear different than the ones that will say Newsstand edition only.

I was curious if that would water down those different in price on the label. I guess it all answers itself and there was no reason for my question lol

It's the market will then decide. Still it isn't very clear on past edition that were different from its "direct" version because of the paper used, if I remember that right. :shy:

I'm seeing the newsstand market being now flooded, which is what I meant by "watered down", with no real differentiation. It's is going to dilute the niche for me, but it doesn't seem like anyone is like minded. No worries.

It's going to end up, Newsstand? Check yes or no. How boring and non exciting imo

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 9/26/2022 at 4:31 PM, ThothAmon said:

Not defending any of those things but why can’t you give the many collectors who have spoken with their money otherwise a little more credit?

Because I've read and heard what many comic collectors think blindly believe. That's in general, and it's even worse when the topic is Newsstands.

On 9/26/2022 at 4:31 PM, ThothAmon said:

Collecting newsstands isn’t my cup of tea but I sure love finding them in my collection. It’s about 1/15 post ‘86. Pretty large sample size. 

I don't, and I have more than that, despite very, very rarely specifically seeking them out and owning many Direct-only issues.

Due to the Newsstand thread, where I either prove myself ignorant or thoughtful lol

It makes me ask why liquidity, over saturation of Newsstand on labels, water down of the product of label notations, and the diluting of the market mean to me? I guess it really all flows down hill, we really need some fiber. :insane:

On 9/26/2022 at 6:35 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

So thinking I am misunderstood or confusing, I see now cgc will continue to describe ALL newsstand as "newsstand edition." Presumably that is what the label will say, so I have my answer.

Price newsstand edition such as "$3.99 newsstand edition" will appear different than the ones that will say Newsstand edition only.

I was curious if that would water down those different in price on the label. I guess it all answers itself and there was no reason for my question lol

It's the market will then decide. Still it isn't very clear on past edition that were different from its "direct" version because of the paper used, if I remember that right. :shy:

I'm seeing the newsstand market being now flooded, which is what I meant by "watered down", with no real differentiation. It's is going to dilute the niche for me, but it doesn't seem like anyone is like minded. No worries.

It's going to end up, Newsstand? Check yes or no. How boring and non exciting imo

They're still all just Newsstands, except for the rare issues like these. The thousands of issues that are priced differently than Directs are not special, they just have a slight, extra, trivial difference.