• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The "Poor Man's Action Comics #1"
4 4

83 posts in this topic

Two early Superman covers.. no where near the market value of Action Comics #1..  but still valuable and worthy early Superman appearances!  Might they be considered to be "The "Poor Man's Action Comics #1"  ??  

(Note: "Poor Man's ____"  is just a figure of speech.  It is an expression that reference a more cost effective alternative to a high priced item.)

Untitled.jpg

Edited by CWill2021
ok

Anyway..  there are some striking resemblances between these early Superman covers.. they are clearly inspired by Action Comics #1.  Just 100x more affordable. 

On 9/29/2022 at 7:14 PM, CWill2021 said:

Untitled.jpg

Well, the premiere issue there is Superman vs Bad Guys.  That's what everyone wants on a hero cover, right?  The AC33 has too small an armored car - oh wait, that is just a GIANT Superman!  And the S19...  Superman does not have time to go fly a family to their vacation.  Take a plane.

Yes, Superman is posed similarly.  That won't necessarily translate into value.

OK, since I own #19 I will agree that it's a poor man's Action #1...:sumo:

16359190359_8c9b17ebc7_c.jpg

And, I'll tell you something funny about #19, well maybe not funny as in Ha Ha, but funny as in making DC look less than intelligent:

When DC published Superman #183, the cover showed 3 stories (see below).  It told how rare they supposedly were, and what collector's will pay for a perfect copy, but the top 2 stories are both in #19...(shrug):makepoint: and I got my copy of #19 that year for $10...:banana:

17022388366_a18b306297_c.jpg

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

On 9/29/2022 at 11:02 PM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

OK, since I own #19 I will agree that it's a poor man's Action #1...:sumo:

16359190359_8c9b17ebc7_c.jpg

And, I'll tell you something funny about #19, well maybe not funny as in Ha Ha, but funny as in making DC look less than intelligent:

When DC published Superman #183, the cover showed 3 stories (see below).  It told how rare they supposedly were, and what collector's will pay for a perfect copy, but the top 2 stories are both in #19...(shrug):makepoint: and I got my copy that year for $10...:banana:

17022388366_a18b306297_c.jpg

You are wrong!

Since I own a copy of 33, THAT'S the poor man's Action 1...

image.png.d9701b72099e8deee6bff86462420a5a.png

On 9/29/2022 at 7:39 PM, Yorick said:

That won't necessarily translate into value.

Action #1 Overstreet Good about $263k

Superman #1 reprints Action #1 Superman pages, Good about $126,500

Action #7 Good $40k

Action #2 Good $13k (most affordable).

On 9/29/2022 at 11:09 PM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Let's have a debate...:blahblah:

In traditional CGC forum rules.

"You're wrong and I am going to hump the button."

I would have a FDQ announcement that I am leaving this thread for good but I will wait until tomorrow as it will be Friday.

Oh and "Calamerica" 

On 9/29/2022 at 8:11 PM, Buzzetta said:

In traditional CGC forum rules.

"You're wrong and I am going to hump the button."

I would have a FDQ announcement that I am leaving this thread for good but I will wait until tomorrow as it will be Friday.

Oh and "Calamerica" 

You have carrots growing in your ears...:whistle:

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian