• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The "Poor Man's Action Comics #1"
5 5

83 posts in this topic

On 9/29/2022 at 8:51 PM, Buzzetta said:

Agreed... 

For example I knew early on that while most Silver Age keys were obtainable for me, that a Tec 27 was off the table as was an Action 1.  I got my reprint like a good comic collector should, but I immediately searched for a Batman 47 in my "keeper grade" and eventually did pick up a placeholder copy of Superman 53. 

image.png.2c6bb80d35e1240e475de1ea6370e2ba.png

Smart move. I did the same. Books like this were considerably less expensive back in the day. And off most people’s radar. I did it with other publishers as well like a Capt. America #59. I figured even the secondary origin stories were worth while and would eventually be popular with other collectors. :whistle:
I’ve always been a poor guy but one with vision…

Edited by Robot Man

On 9/29/2022 at 11:02 PM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

OK, since I own #19 I will agree that it's a poor man's Action #1...:sumo:

16359190359_8c9b17ebc7_c.jpg

And, I'll tell you something funny about #19, well maybe not funny as in Ha Ha, but funny as in making DC look less than intelligent:

When DC published Superman #183, the cover showed 3 stories (see below).  It told how rare they supposedly were, and what collector's will pay for a perfect copy, but the top 2 stories are both in #19...(shrug):makepoint: and I got my copy of #19 that year for $10...:banana:

17022388366_a18b306297_c.jpg

Also poor man's 1st Archie