• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The "Poor Man's Action Comics #1"
5 5

83 posts in this topic

On 9/30/2022 at 8:19 AM, Forbush-Man said:

I consider Wonder Comics #1 (1939) the "Poor Man's Action #1";  You get the first Superman imitator with Wonder Man's first & only appearance (the 2nd super powered hero ever), it's unique, scarce and very undervalued considering it's place in history.  JMHO.

WonderComics#1.jpg

Well, I guess this one here should be the winner since it has already been tested and "proven" in a court of law, although I am not sure if a poor man can in fact afford a copy of this Wonder Comics 1.  :bigsmile:

My "Poor Man's Action 1" is the Brazilian Action reprint that can be found in 1938 Gazetinhas comics.  I unfortunately don't have any of the Superman pages, but I have the full Zatara, Chuck Dawson, Pep Morgan, & Sticky Mitt Stimson stories in Gazetinhas 446 - 473 (each issue has 1-1/2 pages of each story) , plus the last page to Action 1 found in Gazetinhas 456.  Some come with nifty covers like the Zatara & Pep Morgan shown here.

Stack em all up and you have..... a "Poor Man's Action 1"

IMG_4896.thumb.jpeg.3060e800e4d8d312111f53c13e5c94c2.jpg

FullSizeRender-7.thumb.jpeg.491875a951d623f245eb96261ab7a522.jpg

FullSizeRender-15.thumb.jpeg.6569950bf9e4947479c46e9e2962c7cd.jpg

Edited by gadzukes

Hi - oh yes Whiz #1 is very valuable - I love Captain Marvel - Shazam. Wished I owned this book!  So, "Poor Man's" version of whatever is just a figure of speech / nomenclature to describe a lower priced alternative to a high priced item. These other books... Action Comic #33 and Superman #19, and Whiz #1 are similar in visual characteristics to Action Comics #1 but, more reasonable priced alternatives to the very high price of Action Comics #1. 

Edited by CWill2021
ok

On 9/29/2022 at 11:33 PM, sfcityduck said:

I'll take this seriously. I'd say no. The reason Action 1 matters is not the cover image, its the first appearance and origin of Superman. 

Some people say Action 7 is the poor man's Action 1 (really upper middle class these days), but the only reason is that it is the second Superman cover. That's not a big enough tie to the true significance of Action 1 for me. After all, Action 2 is the second Superman story. No, I'd say what we should be looking for are Superman's origin story.  And Superman 1 is not a poor man's anything.

So I have two candidates:

(1) is More Fun 101 (1945) - which fleshed out Superman's origin by telling us about his adventures when he was a boy (1st Superboy) and providing new details about Krypton:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, More Fun Comics #101 Davis Crippen ("D" Copy) Pedigree (DC, 1945) CGC FN/VF 7.0 Off-white pages....

(2) is Superman 53 - the detailed origin story put out for a 10th anniversary issue:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Superman #53 (DC, 1948) CGC FN- 5.5 Cream to off-white pages....

And both are affordable for normal income people.

They could both work.

Supes 53 could be the working poor man's Action 1, and More Fun 101 could be the skid row bum's Action 1.

On 10/1/2022 at 12:15 PM, pemart1966 said:

THIS is the Poor Man's Action #1

Famous First Edition Action Comics DC Treasury Edition #C-26HARDCOVER

I don't think poor people can afford those.

I understand that some dealers have been getting six figures for trimmed copies that are missing the outer cover, so I can only imagine what a pristine copy would be worth.

On 10/1/2022 at 3:32 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

I don't think poor people can afford those.

I understand that some dealers have been getting six figures for trimmed copies that are missing the outer cover, so I can only imagine what a pristine copy would be worth.

:screwy:

If that's the case, we'll go with the $6.99 version in the post above...

Edited by pemart1966

On 9/29/2022 at 8:33 PM, sfcityduck said:

I'll take this seriously. I'd say no. The reason Action 1 matters is not the cover image, its the first appearance and origin of Superman. 

Some people say Action 7 is the poor man's Action 1 (really upper middle class these days), but the only reason is that it is the second Superman cover. That's not a big enough tie to the true significance of Action 1 for me. After all, Action 2 is the second Superman story. No, I'd say what we should be looking for are Superman's origin story.  And Superman 1 is not a poor man's anything.

So I have two candidates:

(1) is More Fun 101 (1945) - which fleshed out Superman's origin by telling us about his adventures when he was a boy (1st Superboy) and providing new details about Krypton:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, More Fun Comics #101 Davis Crippen ("D" Copy) Pedigree (DC, 1945) CGC FN/VF 7.0 Off-white pages....

(2) is Superman 53 - the detailed origin story put out for a 10th anniversary issue:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Superman #53 (DC, 1948) CGC FN- 5.5 Cream to off-white pages....

And both are affordable for normal income people.

On 9/29/2022 at 8:40 PM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Well, since Superboy and Superman are different characters (one is just a boy and the other is a MAN), my vote would be for #53...since I own it...:insane:

12213525913_ed26b87952_c.jpg

Superman #53 is one of those books I’ve never not had at least 1 copy in my collection once I got my first copy. It’s just a great cover regardless of price. It’s a poster that sums up the whole damn character in one drawing….

On 10/2/2022 at 9:40 PM, woowoo said:

All you have to do to delete a post is click the three dots top right and click hide

I clicked the 3 dots on your post, but all it said was "report" or "share"...so I clicked "report".  What does that do?  :insane: