• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

the YOU TUBE comic book videos thread
8 8

234 posts in this topic

On 8/7/2023 at 9:54 AM, Telegan said:

@aardvark88 posted this in the SDCC thread, but I thought I'd also post it in here for people that maybe don't visit that thread.  Swagglehaus interviews dealers every few months to get their opinions on the comic book market and how shows are going for them.  This time he did it at SDCC :

solid video, although 3 of the dealers interviewed are already youtube/social media influencer types, who tend to hype books up frequently.  

On 8/7/2023 at 3:50 PM, atomised said:

solid video, although 3 of the dealers interviewed are already youtube/social media influencer types, who tend to hype books up frequently.  

Yeah, I'm not "anti-dealer", but I take prognostication of comic book prices like I do buying stocks - I doubt anybody really knows what's going to happen in the near future.  With comics, unless you're dealing with grail-type comics, even in the long-term, you look at some comic book prices and they hadn't done squat pre-COVID for the most part.  Then why should I expect them to do much of anything following the post-COVID correction?  The one dealer (Neko) talking about "where else can you get a 3,000,000x return?" or something referring to buying Superman #1 at .10 and selling it for $300,000.  And then starts comparing it to being better than buying a home.  This is the kind of speculation and goofy suggestive "financial advice" that has me chuckling and shaking my head at the same time.

The one takeaway that I got, for the most part, from that video is that there seems to be more kids getting involved (@ SDCC, at least) and they were all (or mostly) surprised by the amount of foot traffic.  That was good to see for sure.

On 7/16/2023 at 7:34 PM, RareHighGrade said:

I wonder what that guy would say if he saw Bedrock's collection.  He'd probably have a heart attack.

If speaking about the YouTuber, given his takes and what he collects, he probably wouldn’t even realize over half of what @MrBedrock was showing him is.  The importance or the value.  

The limited time he has spoken about GA, he admits he doesn’t know much about it, but I also felt the impression he kinda thinks it’s inferior or whatever to what he collects (SA/BA).  Hey pal, let me tell ya something, your “big boy book”, as he likes to say, of a VG copy of Giant Size X-Men 1 wouldn’t exist without the GA.

On 8/24/2023 at 6:05 PM, Telegan said:

Marie Severin was born 3 days ago in 1929 and died 6 days from now in 2018.  I found some cool videos of her talking about comics in the Golden Age and how heroes changed as time went on.  She's fun to listen to especially when talking about the other famous people she also worked with.

From 1979 this video shows her drawing in realtime and talking about the evolution of heroes.  It's also interspersed with general comic collecting talk with other people of the time ... saw a Superman #1 in there with a $1500 sticker.  :

This one is the one where she talks about other people who were big.  Her thoughts on Stan Lee, who she had crushes on (lol ... I chuckled when it got to this point), etc.

Another one where she talks about what it was like during the GA, EC, working styles, the personalities and abilities of the people she worked with, her favorite artists (Engels, Wood, Severin, Williamson, and many others).  This video is almost like a longer/more detailed version of the one above.

She was such a nice person 

On 9/5/2023 at 11:26 AM, comicjack said:

She was such a nice person 

Yeah, I got that impression just from listening to her talk.  A lot of these people have recently passed, so it's nice to "immortalize" them in a sense using videos.  I love when they're asked about how it was back then, who they rubbed elbows with, etc.  It's history that otherwise would probably be heresay or speculation if not coming straight from the horse's mouth.  Well, for the most part, anyway.

Marie Severin, E.C. Colorist

17:00 Jack Davis, E.C. Artist

26:49 Jack Kamen, E.C. Artist

53:15 Al Williamson, E.C. Artist

1:15:45 Russ Cochran, E.C. Library Publisher

1:37:14 Robert Overstreet, E.C. Fan

1:45:45 George Romero, Creepshow Director

1:58:26 Roger Hill, E.C. Historian

Edited by SpineTic

On 9/6/2023 at 5:08 PM, SpineTic said:

Marie Severin, E.C. Colorist

17:00 Jack Davis, E.C. Artist

26:49 Jack Kamen, E.C. Artist

53:15 Al Williamson, E.C. Artist

1:15:45 Russ Cochran, E.C. Library Publisher

1:37:14 Robert Overstreet, E.C. Fan

1:45:45 George Romero, Creepshow Director

1:58:26 Roger Hill, E.C. Historian

Love the Jack Kamen interview. Thanks for sharing. 

Cross-posting this to the GA forum from the General forum, because it's a good listen for any forum.  He interviews Bill Buchanan/Bucky's Books about being a dealer, what it takes, etc. But also drops a tidbit about at least 3 Golden Age/Silver Age books with surprise finds (like a box of them) starting at the 12:52 mark (after he talks about the Spawn #306 variant scandal) which could affect their "rarity", but in some cases, the prices still stay up.

----------------------------

Swagglehaus interviewing Bill Buchanan/Buckysbooks of Bucky's Books talking about dealers, his thought process on pricing, and, of course, the Spawn #306 "scandal" (lol).  Good interview about being a dealer and what it takes to survive, in general.

The timestamps are in the description.

NOTE : some NSFW language if you care about that.

Edited by Telegan

On 10/9/2023 at 9:08 PM, sagii said:

Our very own @PDGray

Thank you Sagii!!

Yes, this is my recent project.  It ties in with something I have wanted to do over the last couple of years.  So far, I have 10 videos posted - some about me - some about pedigrees - some general comic content.  My intent is to spread knowledge.  I invite anyone to share information with me - correct me if I have something that is wrong - let me know additional information about something I post - or SHOULD post!

Some of you may recognize books that I have purchased from you - here on the CGC boards!!

I am doing this just for fun - if it turns into something bigger then that's awesome - if not - that's perfect fine with me.  I have collected comics for nearly 50 years, so I want to share the knowledge that I have for the next generation.  I am ALWAYS open for collaborations and am grateful for you reading this post.

PDG

On 11/1/2023 at 10:45 PM, adamstrange said:

Interview of Steve Ditko's brother and nephew

Ack!  Too long to watch right now, but after watching just the first few minutes, I know I need to watch it in the future, so ... saved.  That channel has a lot of good interviews with some comic legends.  Thanks for posting this one.