• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WTB: Software Guy who knows PHP

12 posts in this topic

Looking for someone who knows PHP or whatever it is they need to make a few modules for my site. Can pay in Cash, or Trade.

Let me know what it is. I can do it, and I also have someone who works for me that develops in PHP.

Try me on the email on my profile as I don't stop by as much and check my PM's as regularly as I do my email.

Uh... I have no idea if its .asp or .aso net.

I really am not that well versed on the matter.

What I want to do is have a fast way to add products while uploading pictures. Currently I have a fast adder but it will only allow me to do one product at a time. I would like a page that would have say 50 areas where I can choose the category, a place to put the product name, a place to put the image and price, yada yada and then upload them all at once. If I could have something like that I could probably list 4000-5000 comics in a few days. That is what takes the most time is listing, so this is something I really need.

What I want to do is have a fast way to add products while uploading pictures. Currently I have a fast adder but it will only allow me to do one product at a time. I would like a page that would have say 50 areas where I can choose the category, a place to put the product name, a place to put the image and price, yada yada and then upload them all at once. If I could have something like that I could probably list 4000-5000 comics in a few days. That is what takes the most time is listing, so this is something I really need.

I have just uploaded 8000 comics on my web site. People sent me Excel files and i import the comics list in the Access database of the site. My site use ASP but this sort of thing should be quite easy to do in PHP.

The problem is that i strictly don't know how PHP works makepoint.gif

A couple of suggestions.

I'm not 100% sure, but it looks like your using OS Commerce.

If this is the case, I would visit their support forum. Poke around and see if a similar mod has already been built which incorporates your requirements.

If not, it wouldn't hurt to post a similar thread at the forums. This might give you some leads for development, and at least put you in touch with someone that may have already performed this type of update to their site. In such a case, it would be a matter of arriving at a price to reimburse the person for the mod development.

It might also give you some insights as to whether or not your requirements are possible to achieve from a development standpoint. I'll confess that I'm not a big fan of OS Commerce, so I haven't spent a great deal of time using or working with it.

This is not as simple as creating a form with multiple fields for data insertion. Many components of the sites logic will need to be rescripted to handle multiple record creation. The backend (more than likely MySQL) should be able to handle the load, although there are safeguards at the server configuration level which might actually restrict the amount of data passing through at the level of record creation -- this is not a constant with every hosting provider, but the safeguard exists mainly to protect against spam attacks and to protect data integrity under such attacks. Just some of the things that need to be considered, and the kind of helpful information you should be able to get from the support forums.

If your still stuck on this, give me a holler thumbsup2.gif

Best of Luck

I have your solution

PM sent

You're using OSCommerce... and you should probably just be using a module like this

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,500/category,3/search,import+products

If you keep your inventory in an Excel spreadsheet, you never need to use your web interface. You would just export to a CSV and then import that into your site.

(Or this for quick price updates.)

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,122/category,3/search,import+products

OSCommerce must have thousands of contributions.. many of which will do what you need.