• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can someone explain this ComicConnect auction result Savage She-Hulk 1?

51 posts in this topic

On 10/2/2022 at 11:00 AM, Bluemedgroup said:

Ok, so this seems extremely fishy.  Savage She-Hulk 1 is a common book in 9.8, 2500+ copies in the grade.  Regularly sells for $600-700 on the bay. 

CC hammer hits at $2300???? I've seen Heritage do shenanigans, but CC??  WTH....

image.thumb.png.1f174cea71d27dbb62044a277f220a3e.png

I’ve also seen some weird stuff going on with CC, not this past auction, but the month prior. Some really odd, really high wins. 

The newsstand version has often gone for up to 80% MORE than the direct version in 9.8.  Mistaking it for a newwstand could be a part of it, but even then....wow.   For example, GPA's 9/15/22 for $900 = ebay newssstand 9.8 sale, as was GPA's 9/3/22 sale for $898, 8/23/22 sale for $950, and 8/22/22 sale for $1100, and on and on, including GPA's 7/29/22 sale for $1295, all considerably higher than surrounding direct sales at the time. 

But in light of most recent sales, CC's 9/22/22 sale for $2300 (which was for a direct edition) exceeded the premium that could have been expected for a newsstand by quite a bit.  

Edited by Pantodude

On 10/2/2022 at 8:13 PM, Pantodude said:

The newsstand version has often gone for 50%-80% MORE than the direct version in 9.8.  Mistaking it for a newwstand could be a part of it, but even then....wow.   For example, GPA's 9/15/22 for $900 = ebay newssstand 9.8 sale, as was GPA's 9/3/22 sale for $898, 8/23/22 sale for $950, and 8/22/22 sale for $1100, and on and on, including GPA's 7/29/22 sale for $1295, all considerably higher than surrounding direct sales at the time. 

But in light of most recent sales, CC's 9/22/22 sale for $2300 (which was for a direct edition) exceeded the premium that could have been expected for a newsstand by quite a bit.  

To approach $2600....I would think the buyer would not only believe it to be a newsstand, but a double cover as well.  

No way the seller gets paid 2c

On 10/2/2022 at 7:27 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

To approach $2600....I would think the buyer would not only believe it to be a newsstand, but a double cover as well.  

I've actually never purchased from ComicConnect or Heritage.  To be honest, it is also because both claim that winning bids are "binding and enforceable legal contract".  So just how strict are they?  Have they ever come for a buyer's knees?From the sounds of what you said, I am guessing not?  

On 10/3/2022 at 12:16 AM, Bluemedgroup said:

I've actually never purchased from ComicConnect or Heritage.  To be honest, it is also because both claim that winning bids are "binding and enforceable legal contract".  So just how strict are they?  Have they ever come for a buyer's knees?From the sounds of what you said, I am guessing not?  

I’ve never used either.  Maybe someone could chime in on what happens if you don’t pay. I assume you get the boot & lose buying/selling privileges.  I doubt it goes further than that.

If I recall, ComicConnect/Metro is a little later than other venues in reporting sales to GPA.  It would make sense in any case that they might wait some period after an auction's end, until payments are received and books shipped out.

That said, it's possible there were a couple of ComicConnect bidders who wanted this book badly who may not subscribe to GPA or generally be aware of what the book is going for.  Perhaps they participate in CC auctions to the exclusion of others.  While this has been readily available in other venues perhaps CC has not offered a copy in a while.

We are often quick to suspect shilling, when there may be simpler explanations completely consistent with normal human behavior - getting auction fever, being inexperienced & uninformed, not doing one's research, etc, that could reasonably explain the actions of two different bidders in a given evening.

On 10/3/2022 at 12:30 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I’ve never used either.  Maybe someone could chime in on what happens if you don’t pay. I assume you get the boot & lose buying/selling privileges.  I doubt it goes further than that.

Depends on the situation...If you don't pay because you later identified and confirmed the HA description is incorrect, then HA will not bar you from selling/bidding in future auctions if you haven't paid.

Edited by jjonahjameson11

On 10/2/2022 at 8:00 AM, Bluemedgroup said:

Ok, so this seems extremely fishy.  Savage She-Hulk 1 is a common book in 9.8, 2500+ copies in the grade.  Regularly sells for $600-700 on the bay. 

CC hammer hits at $2300???? I've seen Heritage do shenanigans, but CC??  WTH....

image.thumb.png.1f174cea71d27dbb62044a277f220a3e.png

This was the same fishy thought I had when an ASM #300 Direct sold for $9,000 last Christmas ish?

On 10/3/2022 at 10:09 AM, Heronext said:

If I recall, ComicConnect/Metro is a little later than other venues in reporting sales to GPA.  It would make sense in any case that they might wait some period after an auction's end, until payments are received and books shipped out.

That said, it's possible there were a couple of ComicConnect bidders who wanted this book badly who may not subscribe to GPA or generally be aware of what the book is going for.  Perhaps they participate in CC auctions to the exclusion of others.  While this has been readily available in other venues perhaps CC has not offered a copy in a while.

We are often quick to suspect shilling, when there may be simpler explanations completely consistent with normal human behavior - getting auction fever, being inexperienced & uninformed, not doing one's research, etc, that could reasonably explain the actions of two different bidders in a given evening.

Send those "couple of ComicConnect bidders" my way please....I've got a whole collection to sell them!  

On 10/2/2022 at 5:27 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Well don't you have to have a credit card on file to be able to bid, assuming that ish got billed right when the hammer dropped lol