• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel/Disney MCU Phase 4 Appreciation Thread!

34 posts in this topic

I'll play. :acclaim:

Phase 4 was all over the map for me, but it did have its moments.  Most of the movies fell in the B to C range for me grade-wise, but I really liked 'No Way Home' and 'Shang-Chi' in particular.  Thor 4 was too much Waititi for my tastes, and DS 2 was more about neat effects than character, which left me cold despite strong acting by Lizzie Olsen in particular.

On the TV side, I thought WandaVision was extremely cool in its concept, but the ending was less than satisfying.  Loki and Hawkeye definitely entertained me for entirely different reasons, and Falcon & Winter Soldier tackled some really important themes until the final episode, when the soapbox (and terrible costume) took center stage.  Haven't seen She-Hulk yet; liked What If? just fine.

None of Phase 4 holds much more than a Bic lighter to Phases 1-3, though, when the interconnected storytelling and more focused narrative vision (all leading to Thanos), aided by strong director/writer choices across the board, made the MCU a dominant force.  I'd say they earned everything they got from 2008-2018 or so, but it's been decidedly hit and miss since then.

BP2 in November, though, looks great from the trailers...here's hoping they end the Phase on a high note and get away from Multiverse storylines sooner rather than later so we can increase the stakes again and focus on character and consequences.  Overall, I'd give Phase 4 a 'decent' B- -- mostly enjoyable, but lots of missed opportunities.

Dan

On 10/5/2022 at 8:12 PM, Drummy said:

I'll play. :acclaim:

Phase 4 was all over the map for me, but it did have its moments.  Most of the movies fell in the B to C range for me grade-wise, but I really liked 'No Way Home' and 'Shang-Chi' in particular.  Thor 4 was too much Waititi for my tastes, and DS 2 was more about neat effects than character, which left me cold despite strong acting by Lizzie Olsen in particular.

On the TV side, I thought WandaVision was extremely cool in its concept, but the ending was less than satisfying.  Loki and Hawkeye definitely entertained me for entirely different reasons, and Falcon & Winter Soldier tackled some really important themes until the final episode, when the soapbox (and terrible costume) took center stage.  Haven't seen She-Hulk yet; liked What If? just fine.

None of Phase 4 holds much more than a Bic lighter to Phases 1-3, though, when the interconnected storytelling and more focused narrative vision (all leading to Thanos), aided by strong director/writer choices across the board, made the MCU a dominant force.  I'd say they earned everything they got from 2008-2018 or so, but it's been decidedly hit and miss since then.

BP2 in November, though, looks great from the trailers...here's hoping they end the Phase on a high note and get away from Multiverse storylines sooner rather than later so we can increase the stakes again and focus on character and consequences.  Overall, I'd give Phase 4 a 'decent' B- -- mostly enjoyable, but lots of missed opportunities.

Dan

I feel ya 100% here. The fact that this phase has even had me skip the last few parts and movies is a testament to how underwhelming and poor it is compared to what came before it. 

So last night I ended up binge watching Cobra Kai season 5.  I think Disney should fire every single MCU tv writer and producer and have the whole CK team of writers and producers take over every upcoming tv show and have them run the universe a la Favreau/Filoni over at SW.  Those ten new episodes had more fun and heart than every movie and show Marvel has put out after End Game  put together.

I’m way behind. On everything. It’s rough trying to keep up. The amount of quality content out there is overwhelming.  I enjoy watching them, but I have too much stuff going on nowadays to really sit and watch them.

I still have two episodes of GOT HOTD and LotR ROP to get caught up on, three episodes of Raised by Wolves to finish the season. Four episodes of Westworld to finish season 4. I also need to watch the last 8 episodes of TWD to get caught up with the final season.
The last MCU movies I saw were Eternals and Black Widow. The last MCU series was Moon Knight.

I also want to start to watch The Expanse, as I’ve heard great things about it. Not going to til I get caught up with everything else.

Back to the MCU - Im waiting to watch the rest in this order:

Spider-Man NWH

Dr Strange MOM

Ms. Marvel series

Thor LAT

She Hulk Series

We will see. I’m expecting to knock out the bulk of everything in Nov-Dec, as there’s no shows I need to attend during that timeframe.That I know of. Yet. 🫣