• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stan, Jack, and Steve - The 1960's. (1960) Showing Signs of Life!
2 2

254 posts in this topic

ON NEWSSTANDS DECEMBER 1960

Meanwhile DC gave Aquaman (and Aqua Lad) his first solo book with Showcase #30 (Jack Miller story, Ramona Fradon art) and Hawkman HIS first solo book with Brave and the Bold #34 (Gardner Fox story, Joe Kubert art - see the credits box?). Anybody who thinks DC wasn't killing it in 1960 is nuts!

RCO001_w.jpg

RCO002.jpg

RCO001_1468985506.jpg

RCO003_1468985506.jpg

RCO011_1468985506.jpg

Of the 4 issues that hit the newsstands at the end of the year for Marvel, Kirby worked on two of them, the first a 6 page story for Gunsmoke Western #63 featuring a bad guy named Hulk Hogan. From a story by Stan Lee, which amounts to six pages of a fight in a bar, Kirby does the cover and pencils, Ayers inks both.

RCO001_1548124329.jpg

RCO012_1548124329.jpg

RCO013_1548124329.jpg

RCO014_1548124329.jpg

RCO016_1548124329.jpg

RCO017_1548124329.jpg

RCO018_1548124329.jpg

Of the 4 issues that hit the newsstands at the end of the year for Marvel, Kirby worked on two of them, the second a 13 page story for Journey Into Mystery #66 featuring the return of the Hulk. Not the Hulk we know and love or the Hulk Hogan from Gunsmoke Western, but the Hulk from Journey Into Mystery #62. 

Jack Kirby, cover/story/pencils, Ayers inks for both

Part ONE:

RCO001.jpg

RCO003.jpg

RCO004.jpg

RCO005.jpg

RCO006.jpg

RCO007.jpg

RCO010.jpg

Edited by Prince Namor

So 1960 ends and for Marvel there's still uncertainty.

Goodman's uncertain he wants to continue publishing comics.

Stan Lee is uncertain what to do (even though it's staring him right in the face).

Steve Ditko is uncertain he wants to stay at Marvel (he begins the process of again ramping up his Charlton work...)

and Jack Kirby is uncertain if Martin Goodman is ever going to allow him to do superheroes and help make Marvel successful. It's obviously WORKING at DC with superheroes, WHY is this guy so stubborn?

1961 would prove to be a BIG YEAR...

I think the interesting thing was when they expanded the monster stories to 13 pages or greater and asking the readers if they liked longer stories which you called my attention to in looking at the old stories..it set the foundation fo FF1 to be a book length masterpiece. Another is a return such as the Hulk monster in which you would relate to a sort of monster universe. I know Dr Droom is coming and I cannot wait to hear your take on that Character effect of FF, Hulk etc. 1961 and especially 1962 were my favorite year to collect comic books.

On 11/9/2022 at 11:59 AM, Mmehdy said:

I think the interesting thing was when they expanded the monster stories to 13 pages or greater and asking the readers if they liked longer stories which you called my attention to in looking at the old stories..it set the foundation fo FF1 to be a book length masterpiece. Another is a return such as the Hulk monster in which you would relate to a sort of monster universe. I know Dr Droom is coming and I cannot wait to hear your take on that Character effect of FF, Hulk etc. 1961 and especially 1962 were my favorite year to collect comic books.

The 1961 thread will have a LOT of surprises that most people don't really think of from the era, that play a part in the Marvel Universe... a truly GREAT era in comics!

Edited by Prince Namor