• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stan, Jack, and Steve - The 1960's. (1960) Showing Signs of Life!
2 2

254 posts in this topic

ON NEWSSTANDS JULY 1960

For July, Marvel would AGAIN release 10 titles to the newsstand 

Stan Lee would write in 5 of the titles for the month.

Kid Colt Outlaw #95 - 2 stories with Jack Keller (including a 13 pager) and one with Jack Kirby. 

Gunsmoke Western #61 - 1 story each with Jack Keller, Don Heck, Reed Crandell, and John Severin.

Patsy & Hedy #73 - with Al Hartley art 

My Girl Pearl #9 - with Stan Goldberg art 

Rawhide Kid #19 - 2 stories with Jack Kirby (including a 13 pager) and one with Paul Reinman. 

The other 5 were:

Journey Into Mystery #62

Strange Tales #79 

Tales to Astonish #14

Love Romances #90 

Teen-Age Romances #78 

What I like about this thread is how it answers the question of why marvel became the true comic book powerhouse. I think the “movie” approach to a comic book really became apparent as I was just rereading Sgt Fury 6 and 7 which directly alluded to that approach . And at that point they had nailed it down.

Some these comic book issues FF 4-6 ASM 2, can be reread 5/10 times and feel just like watching Casablanca for the 7th time.

Getting inside their heads by examining factually real output month by month leads documenting evidence as to who did what and where. As a  60 year collector who has talked to Stan and Jack multiple times I can attest to one common fact and that was they felt they both created the majority of it coming from their points of view. While their personal biased opinions feel they each should be given the credit for creating the marvel universe, I agree with the opinion that with the 3 of them coming together that was true DNA  creation and I would venture to say minus anyone of them we would not be there today. Yes the FF comic book created quite a stir but with Spider-Man it cemented Marvel as amping 1963/4 collectors Spider-Man took the trophy from the FF.

So keep up the great work, this careful examination should give us some type of % of importance when talking 100 and dividing it by 3. Great job so far, please keep it up!!!

Edited by Mmehdy

On 10/28/2022 at 2:02 AM, Mmehdy said:

What I like about this thread is how it answers the question of why marvel became the true comic book powerhouse. I think the “movie” approach to a comic book really became apparent as I was just rereading Sgt Fury 6 and 7 which directly alluded to that approach . And at that point they had nailed it down.

Some these comic book issues FF 4-6 ASM 2, can be reread 5/10 times and feel just like watching Casablanca for the 7th time.

Getting inside their heads by examining factually real output month by month leads documenting evidence as to who did what and where. As a  60 year collector who has talked to Stan and Jack multiple times I can attest to one common fact and that was they felt they both created the majority of it coming from their points of view. While their personal biased opinions feel they each should be given the credit for creating the marvel universe, I agree with the opinion that with the 3 of them coming together that was true DNA  creation and I would venture to say minus anyone of them we would not be there today. Yes the FF comic book created quite a stir but with Spider-Man it cemented Marvel as amping 1963/4 collectors Spider-Man took the trophy from the FF.

So keep up the great work, this careful examination should give us some type of % of importance when talking 100 and dividing it by 3. Great job so far, please keep it up!!!

Yeah I agree. Without any one of them it wouldn't have been what it was. As great of a creative mind as Jack was, it really IS Spider-man that became the foundation of the company and the biggest merchandised superhero world wide. And when I say Spider-man, I mean the one Ditko changed to what we know of today, not the basic idea and name that Jack brought to Stan originally, of course. 

As much as I can pick apart Stan's story, almost line by line, I will continue to reiterate that without him, it wouldn't have been the same. It wouldn't have been as big. Even when it was a modest seller throughout it's time in the 60's and individually the 70's and 80's, Stan made it SOUND like the biggest comic book company ever created.

It wouldn't have been the same without him.

For that matter, without Ditko it wouldn't have been the same. Think how lame Spidey would've been. The Hulk would still be just a monster. Iron Man would have big ugly grey armor. It wouldn't have been the same without him either. 

But without Jack Kirby it wouldn't have happened at all. 

The combined work of all three made it special. 

Edited by Prince Namor

ON NEWSSTANDS JULY 1960

Kirby does the cover and a feature length 13 page two part story for Journey into Mystery #62. The cover is inked by Steve Ditko and the Interior by D. Ayers. 

The cover blurb says, "Here Comes... The Hulk", a phrase they'd use on a t-shirt in a few years, but the story is titled "I Was a Slave of the Living Hulk!"

RCO001.jpg

RCO003.jpg

RCO004.jpg

RCO005.jpg

RCO006.jpg

RCO007.jpg

RCO010.jpg

RCO011.jpg

RCO012.jpg

RCO013.jpg

RCO014.jpg

RCO016.jpg

RCO017.jpg

RCO018.jpg

Edited by Prince Namor

ON NEWSSTANDS JULY 1960

Kirby also does the cover and a feature length 13 page two part story for Tales to Astonish #14. The interior is inked by D. Ayers. There's some confusion as to who inked the cover - Ditko answered a fan letter saying he had 'no idea who did it, it wasn't him', yet some still suspect he may have. I don't know, personally I don't think he did. 

RCO001_1469313644.jpg

RCO002_1469313644.jpg

RCO003_1469313644.jpg

RCO004_1469313644.jpg

RCO005_1469313644.jpg

RCO006_1469313644.jpg

RCO008_1469313644.jpg

RCO009_1469313644.jpg

RCO010_1469313644.jpg

RCO011_1469313644.jpg

RCO012_1469313644.jpg

RCO013_1469313644.jpg

RCO014_1469313644.jpg

RCO015_1469313644.jpg

ON NEWSSTANDS AUGUST 1960

For August, Marvel would AGAIN release 10 titles to the newsstand. So much for minimums. That's the 4th month in a row and they'd do it an additional 2 months after...

Stan Lee would write in 6 of the titles for the month.

Kid Colt Outlaw #96 - 2 stories with Jack Keller (including a 13 pager) and one with Jack Kirby. 

Two Gun Kid #57 - 3 stories with John Severin and one with Jack Kirby. 

Millie the Model #100 - with Stan Goldberg art.

Patsy Walker #92 - with Al Hartley art.

Life With Millie #8 - with Stan Goldberg art 

Kathy #8 - with Stan Goldberg art.

The other 4 were:

Journey Into Mystery #63

Strange Tales #80 

Tales to Astonish #15

Tales of Suspense #13