• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

40 Years of Blade Runner
1 1

10 posts in this topic

:applause:

I can't remember when, but I saw this for the first time on cable when I was maybe 9 or 10 and not even remotely knowing what was going on. I was watching it because it had Han Solo in it. 

Money, unfortunately, is an object, but if it wasn't I'd go for this:

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/propstore/catalogue-id-the-pr10026/lot-82588cd0-dc49-42f3-a178-b01200deac9b

How cool would that be, to own Deckard's original suit. I wonder if the man himself will bid?

b5970979-6648-495e-a13c-b01300c0b93b.thumb.jpg.f83b9f459f1b0fe13d692be132ac451c.jpgaa29bfe7-7d56-4750-a4bf-b013009f9877.thumb.jpg.32e5b1d95a4e8c9ddb3f3c7843b1a735.jpg

The half cut shirt is a nice touch. You'd need the belly for it though:

1e335eba-1d44-4d94-b90f-b01300a13daa.thumb.jpg.304022b2e56d7f81cd4af7f7eee74be2.jpg

ef38e3a3-6ad5-4cef-b660-b01300a16441.thumb.jpg.0f9bfc8c314924a4de8c6b26b0b0f02e.jpg

I couldn't find the photo of me in my 14 year old's replica(nt) shirt, but from memory, I wasn't too far off....

~~~~~~~

BLADE RUNNER (1982) - Rick Deckard's (Harrison Ford) Screen-Matched and Photo-Matched Costume from Voight-Kampff and Roy Batty (Rutger Hauer) Fight Scenes - Rick Deckard's (Harrison Ford) screen-matched and photo-matched costume from Ridley Scott's sci-fi classic Blade Runner. Deckard administered the Voight-Kampff test to Rachel (Sean Young), and later fought Roy Batty (Rutger Hauer) before Batty ultimately saved him from falling.

Among the most acclaimed and debated science-fiction films in history, Blade Runner has no fewer than seven different versions, including a 1992 director's cut and a so-called "final" cut overseen by Scott and released in 2007. Despite a lackluster theatrical release, the film's success on home-video helped inspire artistic movements in the neo-noir and cyberpunk genres and led to many additional adaptations of author Philip K. MR.'s stories. Blade Runner was ultimately selected for preservation in the US National Film Registry in 1993. Blade Runner has become one of Ford's greatest roles alongside Han Solo and Indiana Jones.

Designed by Michael Kaplan and originating from a private Hollywood collection, this costume contains both screen- and photo-matched components. The orange wool and cotton tweed jacket with a single button and three pockets screen-matches to the Voight-Kampff scene, though it was later bloodied by production with visible streaks on the lapel. Deckard also wore a different shirt and pants in the Voight-Kampff scene than appear in this lot.

In fact, patterns on the blue poly-blend button-up shirt with two front pockets and red plastic buttons, specifically on the collar, match it to publicity photos from the Batty fight.

This costume also includes a pair of orange wool and cotton tweed pants with an Ital Costume tag labeled "Ford Harrison" on the interior; brown leatherette lace-up shoes with rubber soles; and four wardrobe tags, including one hand-labeled "Condition of Suit when Deckard Returns After Batty Fight." One original shoelace from production is included, while the laces currently on the shoes are replicas. Also included are two production stills.

This costume is intentionally distressed throughout by production to appear damaged and grimy with pilling to the tweed, fraying at the ankles, and various discolored stains.

Estimate: $80,000 - 160,000

Bidding for this lot will end on Wednesday, June 28th. The auction will begin at 8:00AM PDT and lots are sold sequentially via live auctioneer; tune in to the live streaming broadcast on auction day to follow the pace. Note other lots in the auction may close on Thursday, June 29th or Friday, June 30th.

I didn't see it in the theater on original release, I was 11 and didn't see my first R rated movie in a theater until a couple years later.  (Beverly Hills Cop, if I recall correctly.)  But I've seen Blade Runner in the theater (and at home) many times since then, to the point where I've actually seen four distinct cuts on the big screen... the US cut, the International cut, the original director's cut, and the Final Cut.

I find it very hard to claim any one movie as my all time favorite, but when forced to make a choice Blade Runner is what gets named.  Such a spectacular film.

On 6/28/2023 at 12:45 PM, RedRaven said:

Bladerunner was the watershed moment in my childhood / young adulthood where I left Star Wars behind. It reshaped my expectations for cinematic Science Fiction. 

Indeed. 

On 6/28/2023 at 5:35 PM, OtherEric said:

I didn't see it in the theater on original release, I was 11 and didn't see my first R rated movie in a theater until a couple years later.  (Beverly Hills Cop, if I recall correctly.)  But I've seen Blade Runner in the theater (and at home) many times since then, to the point where I've actually seen four distinct cuts on the big screen... the US cut, the International cut, the original director's cut, and the Final Cut.

I find it very hard to claim any one movie as my all time favorite, but when forced to make a choice Blade Runner is what gets named.  Such a spectacular film.

I saw the original release with my brother at 14. I can still remember the end credits and thinking how much I liked the music (I still have my original LP - had to wait some time for the Vangelis version to finally appear). A lifetime of collecting and appreciation ensued. It's just one of those films that grabs you and, if you're the right type, stays with you. 

On 6/28/2023 at 5:53 PM, OtherEric said:

First paperback edition of the book it was based on.  An incredibly generous gift from a friend, who had bought it when it came out and knew I would appreciate it more than he did:

Do Androids Dream a.jpg

Nice. I could do with some friends like that. Or just some friends, really.

I haven't read it for a while now. I was a bit puzzled when I first did, all those years ago. Mercerism and all that hill climbing. Maybe I'll hook myself up to the mood organ and set it to "do some reading" as I've gotten out of the habit recently.