• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paypal institutes $2500 fine for anyone who promotes "misinformation" and then pulls the rule after massive public backlash.
8 8

401 posts in this topic

On 10/10/2022 at 6:02 PM, jaybuck43 said:

Paypal does, which is why, as i've said, there is an issue with their ability to act unilaterally.  I have no issue with them throwing you off the platform (i.e. we don't want to do business with the God Hates F**s crew)  I DO have an issue with them fining the God Hates F**s crew without due process.

can a company just do this?  like you buy a car and put on a bumper sticker they think is misinformation and just take $2500 from you?  It seems bizarre.

On 10/10/2022 at 9:00 PM, jaybuck43 said:

I don't think they're going to see any noticeable cancellation numbers

I think there might be a higher number than you think. What would be noticeable? 

On 10/10/2022 at 9:06 PM, CAHokie said:

I think there might be a higher number than you think. What would be noticeable? 

For THIS issue?  I'd need to see at least a 10 million user net loss.  They added 13 million users from June-September.  13 million users from September-December.  Then held steady at that 426 million since.

On 10/10/2022 at 9:13 PM, jsilverjanet said:

I’m not canceling 

if I cancelled every business that made a mistake in their history, there wouldn’t be a lot of options 

I'm canceling you because your new avatar is freaking me out lol 

On 10/10/2022 at 6:53 PM, jsilverjanet said:

Paypal cancelled because they tried to cancel people who are against the cancel culture

Lol.. They weren't cancelled.

Airing a grievance and discontinuing usage is not canceling.

Canceling is when on top of that, you keep whining and crying and screaming that they should be put out of business and people lose their livelihoods.

lfbbmsiqjhe61.thumb.jpg.85e1e8feb3951f72b7d9931e2664430b.jpg

I canceled because they left me with two options to believe. They are either incompetent or they tried to slip something past people. Either way I don’t trust you any more to have my bank information.

I don’t consider this a “mistake.” A team of lawyers reviewed that language and someone approved the send button being pushed. 

On 10/10/2022 at 7:24 PM, jaybuck43 said:

I believe it would be going after people who sell solutions. So for instance there are several books that claim to tell you how to “cure” autism with a bleach solution or chelation. This is dangerous misinformation. (Children have died from parents following this information). So if I sold this stuff on my website (since Amazon has delisted these books) and use PayPal as a payment processor, they can “fine” me $2500 per instance, at their discretion. 

As I said earlier, theoretically good intention, but problematic without due process.

No.  It's about being on the wrong side politically.  There are some notable groups that have been kicked off PayPal because they were against things that are going on with minors/schools/hospitals.

I will avoid politics.  But it's not about cures.

On 10/10/2022 at 9:23 PM, CAHokie said:

I canceled because they left me with two options to believe. They are either incompetent or they tried to slip something past people. Either way I don’t trust you any more to have my bank information.

I don’t consider this a “mistake.” A team of lawyers reviewed that language and someone approved the send button being pushed. 

Bingo.  They simply got caught.

Once this dies down, they'll find a different way of phrasing it and try again.

In the meantime...

Screenshot_20221010-213403_Chrome.thumb.jpg.7703435d0d46cbd2d2341fc5eb8928d6.jpg