• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mailing a Slab from USA to Canada
1 1

7 posts in this topic

How do you ship a slab from the USA (Florida) to Canada with tracking and insurance?  I thought I could send it as a first class package (under 3 pounds) with tracking and insured for up to $400, and this would cost ballpark $30.  But the post office told me tracking is only available with priority mail at a cost of about $43.

If you have a PayPal account you can calculate and purchase shipping to Canada on their browser based website through shipstation. Not sure how confirmation works but when I plugged in my need for delivery confirmation first class was an option?

Edited by ThothAmon

The best I could find is USPS.  First Class package under 3 pounds is $22 but no tracking and no insurance and takes at least 12 days.  Or priority mail for $43 includes tracking and up to $200 insurance arrives in 6 to 12 days.  Either way, you submit a customs form with the package and the package is subject to opening and inspection by customs, so something could get stolen or damaged.

Edited by RobHW
Corrected insured amount.

Your USPS people are wack.  :facepalm:  The CN-22 Customs Declaration Form (PS Form 2976) -- which is required on all USPS First Class International parcels weighing more than 1 lb -- will have a unique barcode and number that can be used to track the package to its final destination (delivery).  Trust me on this.  I frequently ship to Canada.  :foryou:

CN-22.jpg.2eaa9d8019682746d1962521fc7aca5b.jpg

Edited by zzutak

First class used to have tracking. I wouldn't trust local post. I would buy shipping online after I made sure tracking is included. If not make buyer pay more money for the priority. I would make them pay for insurance as well if needed. I only ship usa. Plenty of buyers here and more reliable post and no forms. 

On 10/11/2022 at 10:02 AM, RobHW said:

How do you ship a slab from the USA (Florida) to Canada with tracking and insurance?  I thought I could send it as a first class package (under 3 pounds) with tracking and insured for up to $400, and this would cost ballpark $30.  But the post office told me tracking is only available with priority mail at a cost of about $43.

Your post office is incorrect.

And you should always purchase your shipping labels right thru ebay, tracking is uploaded automatically.

You can ship a slab via 1st class international package with insurance, pretty much anywhere in the world.

About a year and a half ago or so, eBay started offering optional insurance (up to $400) to sellers for USPS 1st class international package shipping, when purchasing the shipping label label online directly thru your ebay account.
Log into your ebay account, go to the sold item and click "purchase shipping label".

You'll see different carrier options, click on usps  / 1st class international parcel (or package, cant remember offhand).

Click on the option to purchase insurance coverage thru ShipCover , a 3rd party insurance company.

Pay for the label with your CC.

Print it out and done.

If you don't have a printer at home, you can pay for the label and than print it later using a computer/printer at your local library.for ten cents or so.

Advantage of 1st class internationail on books/slabs under $400 is that it's cheap and delivery tends to be about as quick or almost as quick as international priority, IME. And it can be insured for up to 400 for a few bucks more.

Advantage of usps priority international is that the boxed up slab is first rerouted to ebay's shipping hub in Kentucky, and the box is opened to verify its' contents.Than its packaged back up and shipped to the buyer.

I've sold slabs internationally this way, as well as raws....the disadvantage would be mishandling by the packer/inspector or a sloppy re-packing job.

But as the item is inspected/verified by ebay, I think they'd take the hit on any damage.and the buyer opened a case for item not as described.

As your'e shipping a slab, I wouldnt worry about this.