• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

McFarlane Signature Real/Fake Opinions
1 1

43 posts in this topic

Picture angle makes it difficult to tell. Can you send better photos? Also, fyi but I’m pretty sure Todd is left handed, which means in his signature, there are obvious telltale signs of writing pauses, with pen blots, which would normally be in the left sides of letters, are actually on the right side of his. 

On 10/12/2022 at 8:16 AM, Brewcrewfan77 said:

Hello, just wanted some opinions on this McFarlane signature.  Thanks for the help!

image.png.21627eb6e8fd84dbbd71013ce6204535.png

it feels fake.  doesnt looked as if it was 'whipped out' the way real sigs are.  Looks drawn.

On 10/13/2022 at 3:22 PM, kav said:

it feels fake.  doesnt looked as if it was 'whipped out' the way real sigs are.  Looks drawn.

Writing left handed with a silver sharpie on a collectible and not wanting to smear it? It wouldn't be surprising if he slowed down and took extra care, I'd have thought.

On 10/12/2022 at 9:14 PM, Krismusic said:

I think ur good go eBay and look at some cgc ss looks very similar 

This is the answer, just go to eBay and do literally thousands of comparisons to existing cgc SS copies.  Zoom as much as you want, take as much time as you want.  

if you need more confirmation after that, there are professionals who can provide you with opinions 

On 10/13/2022 at 6:29 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Would it even be worth forging his signature on this issue...?

Without regard to whether this signature is legitimate, many forged signatures are on low-value books. The idea is that the books can be bought up for essentially nothing, turned into "signed" copies, and then flipped (usually below the typical market value for the signature) for 100% profit. You could build a paper fortress entirely from the mid-grade run-fill that has been defaced with fraudulent Stan Lees, for example.

More broadly, this is sort of why I think that signature authentication without provenance is dubious at best, especially when you're dealing with creators who are trying to sign with unfamiliar or uncooperative pens in the often-hasty conditions of signing booths. Sure, the "-an-" in McFarlane looks a little weird on this book. Does that mean it's a forgery... or that he merely fell short of total consistency with all of his signatures?

On 10/13/2022 at 10:41 AM, Qalyar said:

More broadly, this is sort of why I think that signature authentication without provenance is dubious at best, especially when you're dealing with creators who are trying to sign with unfamiliar or uncooperative pens in the often-hasty conditions of signing booths. Sure, the "-an-" in McFarlane looks a little weird on this book. Does that mean it's a forgery... or that he merely fell short of total consistency with all of his signatures?

My own sense is the fact that it appears to say "Toed McFailrie" argues in favour of its authenticity.

On 10/13/2022 at 12:43 PM, Brock said:

My own sense is the fact that it appears to say "Toed McFailrie" argues in favour of its authenticity.

Lol

theres a cgc SS one on eBay that says “Toed” lol similar like this 

On 10/16/2022 at 8:14 AM, ccbheeschen said:

I submitted this for grading and it came back with " Todd McFarlane written on cover with marker" It looks like his signature. Opinions please. And what does that mean?

307867309_5904020782954190_6695668110787199665_n.jpeg

310438002_5902692669743836_1431063995214445356_n.jpeg

It might mean the signature wasn't witnessed by a CGC representative when it was signed. That's how cgc authenticates signatures, having a representative witness it, that's the only way to obtain a yellow label.