• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

McFarlane Signature Real/Fake Opinions
1 1

43 posts in this topic

On 10/16/2022 at 12:35 PM, ccbheeschen said:

Oh! Thanks. So it would be considered 50/50 if it was a legit signature?

I'm not sure what you're asking so I don't want to discourage.

If you sent in for the "witnessed McFarlane inhouse signing" it would get a yellow label for it, if you already have a sig that is "unwitnessed" it would also get a green label....

SO no 50/50 per se, just one authenticated witnessed sig and one that is not :cheers:

If you mean because of all that, that it would be both yellow AND green? yes it would be, but the ratio of "50/50" is a misnomer (thumbsu

It would be one witnessed and one not, or however many sigs you had, it only makes a difference if witnessed or not. I think I understood your question :foryou: 

On 10/16/2022 at 12:35 PM, ccbheeschen said:

Oh! Thanks. So it would be considered 50/50 if it was a legit signature?

speaking of which, because it is a blue label.... it got 7.0 due to the writing on the cover as it was looked at as a defect.

If you had requested a green label, it would have been a green qualified label, but CGC would have ignored the unwitnessed signature when Grading the book.

My opinion, if you want a authenticated "CGC" McFarlane sig, then send in for the upcoming McFarlane In-House signing with a press, and more than likely it would come back higher grade with a yellow label witnessed authenticated signature by Mcfarlane with a green strip at the top for the unwitnessed signature. imo

On 10/16/2022 at 2:01 PM, ccbheeschen said:

Thanks. I bought the comic with the signature already on it. I then sent it in to get it graded. I thought I would have gotten a better grade than 7 but it is what it is. Not sure if the signature is really Todd McFarlane's or a fake.

ya technically it "looks good to me", which is true, but is the best you'll get even with 3rd party grading, except for CGC when they do in house signings because they witness the sig and add the yellow label as the authentication.

According to CGC, they're the "most trusted 3rd party grading service" but more to the point I was trying to illustrate the ends and outs for you :cheers: 

On 10/16/2022 at 2:02 PM, ccbheeschen said:

Thanks. I think I will do that

On 10/16/2022 at 3:01 PM, ccbheeschen said:

Thanks. I bought the comic with the signature already on it. I then sent it in to get it graded. I thought I would have gotten a better grade than 7 but it is what it is. Not sure if the signature is really Todd McFarlane's or a fake.

I assume the book would be in the 9s if it were a green label.  7.0 is a pretty good grade for a book with marker on the cover.

There are companies that examine authenticate signatures.  Cgc just happens not to be one of those companies 

On 10/17/2022 at 7:07 AM, ccbheeschen said:

I am going to send it to CGC for a Todd McFarlane signature event. I seen on the site that they will regrade it after the signing. Is that correct?

yes :cheers: 

On 10/17/2022 at 8:07 AM, ccbheeschen said:

I am going to send it to CGC for a Todd McFarlane signature event. I seen on the site that they will regrade it after the signing. Is that correct?

Nothing wrong with that, but you should consider what your expectations are for the color labeling, and confirm with CGC that those goals are actual realistic goals.

good luck.  

Edited by revat

On 10/16/2022 at 9:14 AM, ccbheeschen said:

I submitted this for grading and it came back with " Todd McFarlane written on cover with marker" It looks like his signature. Opinions please. And what does that mean?

307867309_5904020782954190_6695668110787199665_n.jpeg

310438002_5902692669743836_1431063995214445356_n.jpeg

Means someone wrote on the cover and if it wasn’t witnessed by a cgc rep for the signature series program ur getting docked for the signature you can re submit it for a green label ignoring the signature so u can get a more appropriate grade on the condition of the book.. doing a little research will help you make the best decision. 

Not sure if they could do it or not but on the ASM 300 if Todd doesn't trace his old signature on that book won't it still get a "Todd Mcfarlane written on cover "notaition still for the unverfied sig and take the grade hit or a yellow signature label with a green qualified upper banner for the unwitness signature. 

On 10/17/2022 at 1:23 PM, ccbheeschen said:

I was wondering about that too. Not sure what to do on this. 

It will get a green/yellow label, and have 2 sigs on the cover 

Why not keep it as is, and submit a second copy?  Then you get to have both a yellow and blue ^^

On 10/17/2022 at 11:20 AM, JWKyle said:

Not sure if they could do it or not but on the ASM 300 if Todd doesn't trace his old signature on that book won't it still get a "Todd Mcfarlane written on cover "notaition still for the unverfied sig and take the grade hit or a yellow signature label with a green qualified upper banner for the unwitness signature. 

On 10/17/2022 at 12:23 PM, ccbheeschen said:

It only took a "grade hit" because it was a blue label :cheers: If it were green qualified it wouldn't count against the grade.

I assume when they submitted it, they requested a blue label, as to not have a GLOD. (green label of death) but now with an opportunity for yellow label, it will be yellow/"green" and it won't take a grade hit (thumbsu 

Honestly OP, if you want a verified sig, you'd be better starting from scratch with the upcoming signing (great timing for you), or just buying one already done for you. Your current method is going to cost you more, and not be as nice. 

On 10/18/2022 at 5:32 PM, ccbheeschen said:

So don't get this one signed?

You might a one book unsigned to get signed that would yellow "universal" label with no green, with a witnessed signature that turns the label yellow.

A green yellow would still be considered qualified grade rather than universal, and that's why it would have green.

Of the purest sense starting from scratch and starting over with a new book would be ideal, just more expensive.

That's why I attempted to answer your question and give you the benefit of the doubt with the book you mentioned to talk you through it.

A universal yellow won't have an unwitnessed signature so no green sliver with the yellow label.

That is ideal but it means not using the book you mentioned, presumably from scratch. It would net you the easiest return on investment and etc. But do what you can do!

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 10/17/2022 at 10:23 AM, ccbheeschen said:

maybe you could have mc farlane sign right over the prev sig and get a yellow label!

On 10/18/2022 at 10:20 PM, kav said:

maybe you could have mc farlane sign right over the prev sig and get a yellow label!

1000% not a thing