• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

[GRADE NOW IN] PGM 1st series X-Men #1 Grade and Press
4 4

16 posts in this topic

Probably 3.5/4.0.

Your picture is trimming the top edge of the front cover. Assuming is no worse than it's equivalent in the back the grade will not change.

I'm not seeing much a press will improve but it could definitely use a good cleaning. If possibly could get the book to a 4.0/4.5.

Thanks for sharing and welcome to the boards.

Edited by grendelbo

On 10/13/2022 at 12:40 AM, MrRoboto said:

@scburdet

I wondered why someone was tagging me in a post called Classic X-Men 1, which is like a $5 book.

I'm going to go with 3.5 b/c I looked at several copies and the >3.5s all have whiter covers. Assuming the photo accurately reflects the degree of discoloration, that's my limiting case. It should go without saying that whoever cleans and/or presses this needs to be reliable with a portfolio they can show you. I definitely would not black box it to CCS

:foryou:

Welcome

I believe this is a classic 4.0 after you clean it up. At minimal a 3.5. Congrats on a great book!

On 10/12/2022 at 10:39 PM, grendelbo said:

Probably 3.5/4.0.

Your picture is trimming the top edge of the front cover. Assuming is no worse than it's equivalent in the back the grade will not change.

I'm not seeing much a press will improve but it could definitely use a good cleaning. If possibly could get the book to a 4.0/4.5.

Thanks for sharing and welcome to the boards.

On 10/13/2022 at 12:01 AM, MrRoboto said:

On 10/13/2022 at 12:49 AM, Galen130 said:

Welcome to the boards!! :cheers:

On 10/13/2022 at 2:08 AM, scburdet said:

I wondered why someone was tagging me in a post called Classic X-Men 1, which is like a $5 book.

I'm going to go with 3.5 b/c I looked at several copies and the >3.5s all have whiter covers. Assuming the photo accurately reflects the degree of discoloration, that's my limiting case. It should go without saying that whoever cleans and/or presses this needs to be reliable with a portfolio they can show you. I definitely would not black box it to CCS

@scburdet  Sorry, I'm new and corrected the title. With the discoloration is it worth pressing? If so, who. I see you dislike CCS.

Edited by phantomdj

On 10/13/2022 at 8:15 AM, phantomdj said:

Sorry, I'm new and corrected the title

No worries. I got a chuckle out of it. I don't "dislike" CCS per se, I've just seen enough issue reported and this is a valuable enough book that I'd be inclined to go to a high end professional. I wouldn't got to a presser at a random comic shop either. I'd want someone who specializes in GA/SA books with a long track record. I would definitely get it worked on. Invest what it takes to maximize its appearance/grade and have the boost of a several thousand dollars in value on the back end.

My guess is 3.5. 

But as grendelbo said, that top left corner is a question mark since we can't see it in the scan.

For comparison, a couple of years ago this DD1 got a 4.0 without clean/press (shows bit less edge wear & tear):

Spoiler

CCI09262016_0000.thumb.jpg.996e17f49541ec4220e96e7fda180303.jpg