• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does DC hate its comics fans?
2 2

14 posts in this topic

I have waited all my life to see Hawkman portrayed in the movies... loved loved loved the origin story, Kubert's early work, the idea of a husband and wife, equally powered hero team... and Black Adam takes all of this and throws it all in the trash to give us winged Iron Man-lite. Worse, they take an incredible entity like the JSA and reduce it to a bench team who comes when no one else (Suicide Squad?) is available... and hey, they removed the "America" from the name, to boot (probably so they wouldn't offend the international audience). This is the last DC film I am seeing... have had enough of them ruining my good comics memories.

Edited by KirbyCollector

On 10/19/2022 at 6:23 AM, KirbyCollector said:

I have waited all my life to see Hawkman portrayed in the movies... loved loved loved the origin story, Kubert's early work, the idea of a husband and wife, equally powered hero team... and Black Adam takes all of this and throws it all in the trash to give us winged Iron Man-lite. Worse, they take an incredible entity like the JSA and reduce it to a bench team who comes when no one else (Suicide Squad?) is available... and hey, they removed the "America" from the name, to boot (probably so they wouldn't offend the international audience). This is the last DC film I am seeing... have had enough of them ruining my good comics memories.

Short answer, yes. They are pursuing stories they believe will appeal to a wider audience but sadly that rarely happens.

On 10/19/2022 at 8:45 AM, batman_fan said:

Short answer, yes. They are pursuing stories they believe will appeal to a wider audience but sadly that rarely happens.

I'm not sure if the worse thing is treating the comic universe like an old car you can just repaint when you feel like (Intergang is in the movie with no mention of Darkseid) or rehashing the old trope of the "imperialist West" being the source of all evil. I guess the latter sells tickets in China, but I've had enough of it...

The last 2 DC movies I've seen are The Dark Knight and Watchmen.  I was more impressed with Watchmen. 

I haven't watched any of the live action TV shows of the last 10+ years but I think the cartoons have worked better.  I'll admit I'm still a big fan of Adventures of Superman (George Reeves) and Batman '66 (Adam West).

In general, I haven't been a fan of how DC characters translated to the big screen.  Not Superman The Movie (Christopher Reeve).  Not Batman (Michael Keaton) but I did fall for the hype.  I'm interested in seeing Wonder Woman (Gal Gadot) one day.

I like Batman: Mask of the Phantasm.

I have seen all movies done by Marvel and DC since 20 years, and it's seems to me DC hasn't the same objective of building a coherent cinematic/tv universe like Marvel did...

Many DC movies seems like almost remote islands to each other, as if the executives were always targeting each release as stand-alone attempts just to bring the most money.

Based on this, you can understand the consequences for characters judged "minors" at one moment... Overall, there isn't enough care for characters, but even for situations, history, etc...

Edited by Ecclectica

Warner Brothers is in such disarray that DC movies will not compare to Marvel for the foreseeable future. The DC TV shows are better. I enjoyed early seasons of the occasionally interconnected shows Arrow, Flash, Supergirl, and Legends of Tomorrow.

Edited by RBerman

• Administrator
On 10/21/2022 at 9:28 AM, KirbyCollector said:

It was in OA because I found my love for the character in Joe Kubert's OA... which I mentioned in my original post

We have a special forum for comic related movies.  Therefore, they aren't allowed in the regular forums like comics general or the OA forum.

Mike

I also struggle with movie adaptations in general, as they are rarely any good.

That being said, there are the exceptions.

I was completely floored by Guardians of the Galaxy. That is easily a top movie, in general, outside of the superhero genre.

I was, much like the rest of the world, extremely impressed with the original Iron Man, and even found Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Thor: Ragnarok, GOTG2, and Logan to be top quality movies. That's 5, exceptionally great movies. Great. How many great movies get made, really, in a year? 

I would say Marvel movies are usually average, and some are just terrible, and the same could be said with DC films.

For really good faithful adaptations, I would look at the DC Animated house, like their Dark Knight Returns animated movie, Batman: Year One... I think their Gotham By Gaslight movie is actually better than the comic book, by a lot. However, much like the standard expectation though, the general release is mediocre at best.

So, I am sorry to hear that they butchered a favourite character of yours. Maybe one day you'll get a faithful interpretation you were hoping for. And if you do, thank Heaven, because it's not often that happens.

Edited by D2

As a huge Justice Society fan, while they'll always be the JSA to me, I don't mind them just being referred to as the Justice Society if that's what it takes to get them to take to an international audience (which I am a member of, to be fair) and get them their own movie. If that's what it takes to make them be successful, go for it. It's such a small thing I really don't care. They still could have started out as an American-centric team and had all their WW2 exploits with regards to America, and then spread their wings, so to speak.