• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

captain marvels

8 posts in this topic

have these been experiencing an upswing? just sold two mid-grade slabs for guide or thereabouts. thought they might languish. granted semi-sort-of-ish keys, but not really. one pre-end of WW II, the other post-WW II.

almost makes me think about getting some of my raw copies slabbed.

If they are decent grade, yeah I would slab. I have been seeing an upswing in low grades hitting Ebay, in the last month or so. CMA's not Whiz. I think, people are buying up the low grades for readers. I like the higher grade stuff but I have been doing payments for mine. Also, something I haven't seen in a while are Gift and Holidays with Captain Marvel. Maybe, IC and First Thunder is sparking more interest. I really hope so.

well, not really low grade readers, the two were a 4.5 and a 6.5. the 6.5 looked pretty solid and the 4.5 could have been a 5.5 or 6.0 if someone was in a good mood. they sold before i could get scans up, not that my scans would have really helped other than to demonstrate i own the comic. i guess maybe people like the idea of hitting the BIN, getting their slabbed GA book for guide, and not having to worry about bidding wars or restoration. my feedback is such that it seems pretty unlikely that i'm running a scam operation to hose people over $130 CMs.

See the thing is with CMA's is that there are plenty available grade 8.0 plus that are reasonably priced out there. Reasonably priced relative to other titles. So, a 6.5 or 7.0 really is mid-grade in my opinion. I personally think, they are way undervalued. Perhaps the market will catch up soon.

yes, there are a lot of them out there, but more than let's say batman or superman? it's just that bats and supes appeal to a larger audience.

yes, 6.5 by any definition used in these parts is mid-grade, i just didn't think what i sold was "low grade" that was terribly likely to get cracked out of the slab and read on the toilet. there are plenty of beat up copies of the captain marvel books out there for reading and they cost like 25%-35% of their DC counterparts in beat to heck shape.

anyway, for someone trying to collect GA super hero slabs on a budget, these are good ones to go for at about 1/3 the price (in guide) of similar DCs.

Yes, I do believe that Captain Marvel Adventures and Whiz Comics (except keys) are terribly undervalued. That is the reason I am collecting them. I can only hope that current events in the DCU will help me prove this out.

Yeah, and I am crying that I can't own it. That CMA #5 in 7.0 is a possibility for me, provided I can make timed payments. Who ever is getting that 9.2, is getting themselves a good buy. My understanding is that 3 has a metallic cover. Can you imagine a 50+ year old book with a metallic cover in 9.2? Yeah, boy!!!!