• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Resubmitting the Same Book?

28 posts in this topic

I am pretty bummed about what I think are two mis-graded comics.  One was graded at a 9.4 and the other a 9.6.  They aren't the most valuable books in the world but they are the two nicest books that I have sent in, I was actually thinking if I ever get above a 9.8 it would be from one of those two. CLEAN books with immaculate spines, no typical wear from shipping, great staples, and clean sharp corners.  I haven't seen them yet to know if it is from awful presses but has anyone ever sent the same book back in and gotten a higher grade?

Anyone have any advice in the future with books like that?  I mean both of them had NO wear on the spines when I sent them in.  Is it better to just send a book like this straight to CGC to have it graded and not get it pressed?

Edited by Coach Lee

On 10/25/2022 at 9:42 PM, Coach Lee said:

...I haven't seen them yet to know if it is from awful presses but has anyone ever sent the same book back in and gotten a higher grade?

Anyone have any advice in the future with books like that?

Is it better to just send a book like this straight to CGC to have it graded and not get it pressed?

• Definitely, especially in the NM range.
  • In this grade range, there's usually nothing you can do, unless the pressing was poorly-done and you see a flaw that pressing should remediate.
  • If there's nothing you see that pressing should fix, your only option is to simply resubmit and cross your fingers, or sell it and buy your desired grade on the aftermarket.

On 10/28/2022 at 10:59 AM, MAR1979 said:

Check for any color loss due to rubs on front and back. CGC has become very harsh on those especially on Copper and Modern.

No color rubs or color breaks or anything when they were sent in.  These books were clean AF.  I have turned in two different 9.8 Edge of Spider-Verse 2s, variant and regular and a couple other high end books that came back 9.8 and I was most excited about these two because they were that CLEAN.  I think it's a joke that CGC makes you pay for the grader notes.  Tell me what is wrong with the book if I am going to pay you $35 for your service if it is below a 9.8.  Way too subjective for 9.4 to 9.8.

Edited by Coach Lee

On 10/29/2022 at 11:41 AM, Coach Lee said:

No color rubs or color breaks or anything when they were sent in.  These books were clean AF.  I have turned in two different 9.8 Edge of Spider-Verse 2s, variant and regular and a couple other high end books that came back 9.8 and I was most excited about these two because they were that CLEAN.  I think it's a joke that CGC makes you pay for the grader notes.  Tell me what is wrong with the book if I am going to pay you $35 for your service if it is below a 9.8.  Way too subjective for 9.4 to 9.8.

I thought they made grader notes free a few months ago.  Did this change recently?

On 10/25/2022 at 9:42 PM, Coach Lee said:

They aren't the most valuable books in the world but they are the two nicest books that I have sent in, I was actually thinking if I ever get above a 9.8 it would be from one of those two. CLEAN books with immaculate spines, no typical wear from shipping, great staples, and clean sharp corners.  I haven't seen them yet to know if it is from awful presses but has anyone ever sent the same book back in and gotten a higher grade

I’m curious why you would have these books pressed if they were already pristine.???

On 10/28/2022 at 6:59 AM, MAR1979 said:

Check for any color loss due to rubs on front and back. CGC has become very harsh on those especially on Copper and Modern.

How are color rubs identified on grader notes?  I had several books that have notes indicating "wear on left cover" but when I sent the books in they were in awesome shape. 

Gives me a really bad feeling knowing CGC themselves may be damaging books. 

Pictures (before slabbing) would definitely help

Not to sound rude but you may think and feel a book is 9.8 but reality is grading takes more than 5 years to understand. I would argue it takes more than a decade of experience to notice certain flaws and little things, let alone the challenge of taking in depth grading scales some sites and people use and figuring out how CGC interprets them (as CGCs language is very vague). Add in the fact that for maybe some of the graders a book is a 9.4, while to the others it is a 9.6, and you can never expect humans to agree 100% on one thing. I would hope that if my book got 9.4 though, that means that say more than 50% of collectors would agree with that grade. I would be upset if I got a gift grade that did not deserve it (ex a 9.6 on a book with many spine ticks and is clearly more of a 9.2 at best) and I would also be upset if multiple fellow collectors felt that my 9.2 had no flaws at all and should have scored higher.

At the end of the day, when grading your books before sending in, you need to focus on the spine (under good lighting), you need to look at the corners front and back and you need to examine the inks carefully. This all needs to be done outside of a bag. I don't doubt that the two books you have are very nice but I am willing to bet that photos of said books (again outside of a slab or bag....which is why I always snap pics myself before sending just for future reference) would result in some flaws that others who have no attachment to the books could find.

Sometimes it takes humbling opinions of others who also grade to make you see what you are trying to avoid. Every submitter to CGC should have this experience at some point in their collecting careers. Recently, I myself tried to convince myself that the copy of Marvel Spotlight 32 I had was a 9.6 candidate. But after posting here for feedback, members pointing out some light edge wear and other very minor flaws but because there were several, they graded the book 9.0-9.2 and sure enough, it returned a 9.0

Part of it is how good of a grader on thinks that one is.  If you've submitted a thousand books and these are the only two you ever got wrong, that's one thing.  But if you're somewhat new to submitting it might just a matter of experience.  And even the most experienced submitters aren't right 100% of the time.  Even the most experienced graders are still human and get things wrong sometimes.  And sometimes there's damage in the shipping, opening, sorting, or grading process.  Sadly, part of the cost of doing business.

THe differences between a 9.4, a 9.6, and a 9.8 aren't always super obvious, and might only be seen from different angles and different lights and possibly on different pages.  

No easy answer, have books pressed by trustworthy pressers and hope for the best.

On 11/17/2022 at 5:01 AM, comicginger1789 said:

Pictures (before slabbing) would definitely help

This was my first mistake.  I wonder though, would CGC make good on the problem if a scan was provided showing the book in better shape than they graded?  Realistically who can prove fault then?

Sorry for the late reply BTW, life happened.  LOL