• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM ASM #1
3 3

17 posts in this topic

Hello, I have always wondered exactly where the grade would fall on my well-loved ASM #1.

The book looks complete.  The cover is still attached although it is not readily obvious how. 

May be too many pictures but there are so many areas of concern.... Thank you for your help.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

Thank you all for your input.

Now I am wondering how the book will survive a journey to CGC.  And once there, how will it be handled?  I've seen a couple videos from CGC examining expensive books...

I know that's always a risk vs the reward of having it slabbed.  But this copy is in a fragile state.  It would not take much to detach the cover completely.  I don't know if that would affect the grade.  But I think it would make the book less desirable to a potential buyer.

Does anyone have advice about sending a book in fragile condition to CGC?  Or is it proper to post that question elsewhere?

1.0 ; and it will likely detach in the handling process which will not affect the grade for me - it's a 1.0 attached or not and slabbed it won't matter (eye appeal wise) if the covers are detached. Four large, thick cardbard (make a sandwich) pieces taped down on all for edges will do it - then slide that in a sturdy tight box - then bubble wrap that and place that in a larger tight box - that should secure it. 

On 10/27/2022 at 3:42 PM, Primetime said:

1.0 ; and it will likely detach in the handling process which will not affect the grade for me - it's a 1.0 attached or not and slabbed it won't matter (eye appeal wise) if the covers are detached. Four large, thick cardbard (make a sandwich) pieces taped down on all for edges will do it - then slide that in a sturdy tight box - then bubble wrap that and place that in a larger tight box - that should secure it. 

Agreed. The 1.0 grade is due to it's overall condition (tears, stains, foxing, etc.). The cover being attached or detached really wont affect the grade or the value of the book. In fact, having the book slabbed by CGC with a blue label will maximize it's value and protect it in its current fragile state. I would definitely send it in.

1.0. You may want to tape it a bit to keep it intact, but that's your preference. I sent in a beautiful Timely to get graded and in the process a chip got torn way worse than what I sent it in as. Wished I had taped it first.  At a 1.0 grade, tape should still give a blue universal label I believe, but get more advice first :) 

Something else to consider is that if the black around the staples is migrating rust, it will only spread worse over time so maybe some conservation is in order to clean the staples and paper.