• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rusty staples
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Assuming proper storage of the book:

1) Will CGC encapsulation stop the rust process from worsening on a rusty staple?

2) can a staple develop rust  AFTER encapsulation? 

I’ve asked this before, but got back an answer not on point (no disrespect meant here!)

LAST MINUTE EDIT:  Will CGC always memorialize the presence of rusty staples in the grader notes?  I ask because if I receive an encapsulated book with rusty staples, for which there is no mention in the grader notes, I am left to assume the rust developed after encapsulation, due to a storage issue on some previous owner's watch

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

On 10/31/2022 at 6:46 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

@Mrs. Tux I'm glad you posted that thread.  I'd heard of the problem, but never read the thread.  And yes staples get rusty in fireproof safes. 

Yep and are more prone to do so than in normal storage.  Unless you are in dry climate make sure to use and regularly replace or refresh/recharge desiccant in your safe.

Edited by MAR1979

I’ve posted many times on this subject. I think cgc should note rusty staples at the time of grading, so we can know whether or not rusty staples were considered in the grade. If not, we are left to wonder whether or not the rust developed AFTER encapsulation, leaving us with no way of knowing whether or not the assigned grade has already taken the rust into consideration.  If the rust developed after encapsulation, the grade needs to be adjusted downward. 

consider this book here, currently up for auction. It has a rusty staple, and the grade date is just last month. The rust was clearly present a month ago, yet the grader notes do not reflect it. They should.

IMG_4207.png

IMG_4206.jpeg

IMG_4205.png