• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Book Value trends 2022-2023
1 1

14 posts in this topic

Forgive me if there is a discussion on this already, you can just point me to it if there is...

Ive been selling books since 2018 and correct me if Im wrong, but Im seeing a downward trend in prices especially on major keys.

I just did comps on FF 48 49 50 from last year to this year and there is a significant decrease in overall value. Great for the buyer, not so great for the seller.

Any thoughts on why this is happening? And will this continue into 2023?

On 10/31/2022 at 12:12 PM, cigars&comix said:

Forgive me if there is a discussion on this already, you can just point me to it if there is...

Ive been selling books since 2018 and correct me if Im wrong, but Im seeing a downward trend in prices especially on major keys.

I just did comps on FF 48 49 50 from last year to this year and there is a significant decrease in overall value. Great for the buyer, not so great for the seller.

This is happening because the price increases from the last few years are not sustainable.  Is there a reason that these books should cost 10 times what they did 10 years ago? 

Stuff that goes up extremely fast for no real sustainable reason tends to have ugly downturns as well.

On 10/31/2022 at 1:52 PM, Hamlet said:

This is happening because the price increases from the last few years are not sustainable.  Is there a reason that these books should cost 10 times what they did 10 years ago? 

Stuff that goes up extremely fast for no real sustainable reason tends to have ugly downturns as well.

As a collector I hope this is the reason.

The market 'reset' as they say...I have noticed some leveling out and some small rebounds on lesser keys ...the major keys exploded during the pandemic, so they have a harder fall..but they seem to be leveling off. I saw a ASM 1 (CGC 2.0) auction off at 7400 the other day on Comic Link...down 30- 40 % from peak.,,but at the level it should reasonably be, given normal growth

A good observation tool is to look at the GPA graphs and draw a curve/line from prepandemic to now..you will still find an increase that seems to fit 3 years of growth, based on trendlines previous to pandemic

If you bought a major key during the pandemic ...you will have to wait awhile to get your investment back

Edited by Ed Hanes

On 10/31/2022 at 2:17 PM, Ed Hanes said:

The market 'reset' as they say...I have noticed some leveling out and some small rebounds on lesser keys ...the major keys exploded during the pandemic, so they have a harder fall..but they seem to be leveling off. I saw a ASM 1 (CGC 2.0) auction off at 7400 the other day on Comic Link...down 30- 40 % from peak.,,but at the level it should reasonably be, given normal growth

A good observation tool is to look at the GPA graphs and draw a curve/line from prepandemic to now..you will still find an increase that seems to fit 3 years of growth, based on trendlines previous to pandemic

If you bought a major key during the pandemic ...you will have to wait awhile to get your investment back

do i need a subscription to view the gpa graphs? ive never used the site..

On 10/31/2022 at 1:12 PM, cigars&comix said:

Yes.  As long as the fed remains hawkish and continues to increase interest rates.  Demand will continue to drop.  

I endured and still managed to read this article, and here's what I think. The comic book market was just bloated and prices were falling because of the same market system. The more players on the horizon, the lower the prices because of increased competition. I would bring up such a topic in a hiring essay about researching such a spike, I saw a couple of such papers on https://writingbros.com/essay-examples/science/ and wanted to write a similar one myself. But I would have to do my own research on something like this. 

Edited by Obseent

Pandemic,  people not going out and having more disposable income,  stimulus checks, cyrpto money, Disney streaming new MCU content creating hype and FOMO, new wave of non collectors entering the market...

All that stuff and probably some I left out combined to create a temp skyrocket for a lot of actual and non actual key comics and it wasn't sustainable as others have said.  If I'm remembering correctly for a time books like DD1 more than doubled in value. Madness....