• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I have the opportunity to catalogue a client’s 12,000 size book collection. How much should I charge.
6 6

161 posts in this topic

On 11/7/2022 at 12:46 PM, wardevil0 said:

I think there are actually a lot of comics you can grade in less than a minute... most 90s drek is easily identifiable and can be quickly graded as "drek" without further attention.  There's not enough value in discriminating between an 8.5 and a 9.4 copy of Brigade 2 or New Warriors 16.

That may be classifying, but it sure isn't grading.

On 5/29/2023 at 4:02 PM, Snowdon said:

Just an update on this...it took me 5 months of work from Nov. 2022 to Mar 2023 working weekends. We separated all the good stuff versus drek. We are going to get all the good stuff graded down the line, but I will also be helping to get rid of whatever is left.....Collection was 10% silver age, 25% Bronze Age  65% modern. In COVPRICE, the total is around $80,000 USD, but hey, its just a ball park......

I also took a 1 time project fee, in instalments for when I completed cataloguing 33/66/100% of the collection. 

Screen Shot 2023-05-29 at 4.06.04 PM.png

Nice,  was it worth it?

On 5/29/2023 at 6:47 PM, Snowdon said:

I got a few buckeroonis out of it, and sharpened my grading skills, also saw books I had never seen or heard of before so it was definitely beneficial! 

Awesome no matter how time consuming, benefits a friend, gains you knowledge and get to keep some dough! Glad it worked out and as others said, thanks for reporting back!

On 5/29/2023 at 4:02 PM, Snowdon said:

Just an update on this...it took me 5 months of work from Nov. 2022 to Mar 2023 working weekends. We separated all the good stuff versus drek. We are going to get all the good stuff graded down the line, but I will also be helping to get rid of whatever is left.....Collection was 10% silver age, 25% Bronze Age  65% modern. In COVPRICE, the total is around $80,000 USD, but hey, its just a ball park......

I also took a 1 time project fee, in instalments for when I completed cataloguing 33/66/100% of the collection. 

Screen Shot 2023-05-29 at 4.06.04 PM.png

Am I reading that right that you cataloged 11,000 books and the best book was a Batman 423?  $1,400 for that book seems kind of high - did you assign a CGC 9.8 price to books? 

On 5/30/2023 at 8:53 AM, 1Cool said:

Am I reading that right that you cataloged 11,000 books and the best book was a Batman 423?  $1,400 for that book seems kind of high - did you assign a CGC 9.8 price to books? 

So COVRPrice takes the FMV of the book raw, which could very well be off (based on last solds), to me I put in the database Batman 423 a 9.6, and the system gave it the $1,400..... which I don't completely agree with, but again its a ball park 

On 5/30/2023 at 10:30 AM, shadroch said:

Why would you bother tabulating cover price?  

covprice is an app used to calculate fmv from the interwebs, that resulted in the data provided, he didn't actually ad 10 cents + 12 or 15 cents for the silver age and etc :cheers: 

If I understood :shy: 

On 5/30/2023 at 11:39 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

covprice is an app used to calculate fmv from the interwebs, that resulted in the data provided, he didn't actually ad 10 cents + 12 or 15 cents for the silver age and etc :cheers: 

If I understood :shy: 

Strange app.  Based on this one comic, it appears they grab the highest raw price that has sold on e-bay (which I guess is a way to get a quick estimate).  There is an outlier of that book that is listed as a raw 9.8 that sold for the posted price but most NM / NM+ copies are in the $250 range (CGC 9.6s are in the $400 range).  I'm not knocking his approach but the app doesn't have much accuracy if it just grabs the highest price in the last 3 months (an average would be way, way more accurate price).

Edited by 1Cool

On 5/30/2023 at 1:45 PM, MR. Pontoon said:

The owner is going to be in for a rude awakening if he's thinking his collection is worth 4x FMV (or more).

Hearing the books could be worth $80k and they only get $12-$15k as a collection may be a tough pill to swallow.  

Edited by 1Cool