• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shipping VERY Expensive Comics!?!
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Hi guys, 

Just a quick question regarding shipping....Let's say you have a comic book that sells for $100,000-$150,000+...What would be the best way to ship that book safely with full insurance coverage and actually feel half way comfortable while its en route to its new owner? (I know some carriers have limits on insurance and others have restrictions/fine print that you have to be careful of (Ex. USPS Priority mail in regards to coins/silver/gold items)). Would UPS Parcel Pro be the way to go? This is just a hypothetical question; but seeing some of these grails selling at auction for BIG money; I can't imagine how nerve racking it must be for not only the buyer but the shipper as well...

Thanks!...Jon 

Private collectors insurance covers shipping. So if you had a policy big enough to cover the collectible you should be covered. 

With that said, I would still take any and every safety measure possibly to ensure it makes it to where it's going.... Including buying a plane ticket and hand delivering it. 

I would probably call USPS, FedEx and UPS and ask them how they handle big dollar items like this. 

It would be interesting to hear from @mycomicshop or other big dealers who have actually had to move books of that magnitude. @joeypost I imagine you've sent some very pricey books all over the country (or have had them sent to you).

If I was shipping a $100,000+ comic, I would probably either buy a plane ticket and deliver it myself or look into one of the logistic companies' secure courier services (the UPS one is called Express Critical Hand Carry; I don't have any experience with the alternatives). Yes, it's certainly possible to carry insurance that would, in case of disaster, make you whole in terms of market value (but watch those terms and conditions, because they will get you) -- and, clearly, you should also do that. But $100,000+ books aren't like copies of Hulk 181; you can't take an insurance payout and just replace what was lost, damaged, or destroyed.

I would never let something of that value go through the normal shipping channels, regardless of the carrier involved. They're really not intended for that sort of thing.

EDIT: Just to add... let's say it costs you $2000 to either hand-deliver a book or transit it via a white-glove courier service. On a $100,000 book, that's 2% of the market value as an additional shipping cost, or the equivalent of paying 20 bucks to ship a $1000 book (or two dolla on a $100 one). Anyone with the means and interest to put six figures down on a comic ought to have no problem at all with that order of magnitude in (legitimate, of course!) shipping and handling costs in order to safeguard their purchase and investment.

Edited by Qalyar

On 11/1/2022 at 2:53 PM, KCOComics said:

Private collectors insurance covers shipping. So if you had a policy big enough to cover the collectible you should be covered. 

With that said, I would still take any and every safety measure possibly to ensure it makes it to where it's going.... Including buying a plane ticket and hand delivering it. 

I would probably call USPS, FedEx and UPS and ask them how they handle big dollar items like this. 

It would be interesting to hear from @mycomicshop or other big dealers who have actually had to move books of that magnitude. @joeypost I imagine you've sent some very pricey books all over the country (or have had them sent to you).

For five figure books we'd usually ship it. Covered 100% by our private collectibles insurance, no insurance purchased through the carrier. Shipped by a next day service like UPS Next Day. For six figure books it'd either be the same, or delivered in-person or picked up in-person by the buyer, worked out with the buyer.