• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you know of any depictions of accounting, portrayals of accountants or a person doing their taxes on the cover of a golden, silver or bronze age comic book?
1 1

23 posts in this topic

I recently got a new job at an accounting firm and would love to get a comic book or a few comics to frame and put on the wall in my office but I am having trouble locating any comic books depicting accountants or portrayals of accounting on the cover or in the story. It may not be common but I thought I'd be able to locate at least one or two. If any come to mind please let me know. Thank you!

There are what are known as pay copies, where some accountant listed the work done inside, who did it and how much they got paid. I've only seen one such book but if the guy did it once, he may have done it more.

I tried finding earlier books that met your interest here. I sort of hoped that maybe there was a mob accountant on a cover of Crime Does Not Pay or something, but it doesn't seem like that was ever the case. There are a bunch of accountants in miscellaneous early romance books (generally as the "safe, right choice" that the title woman rejects for her foolish enjoyment -- alas!) and a few mob accountants in stories. Lone Ranger 86's first story is about an accountant sent to audit the books of the Circle Bar cattle ranch (the managers are cooking the books, and try to kill him before he arrives). Unfortunately, that didn't make the cover, and the cover they went with is... erm, let's go with "culturally inconvenient" now.

If you're fine with more recent books, my best picks would either be Tick's Big Tax Time Terror (2002), or Taxman (2000, cover A only):

Picture 1 of 1Picture 1 of 1

On 11/2/2022 at 5:15 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

The thread title got me thinking about that movie. Didn't know previously that they made a comic of it.

Nor did I. I haven't seen the film either, come to think of it.

On 11/2/2022 at 9:54 AM, Qalyar said:

I tried finding earlier books that met your interest here. I sort of hoped that maybe there was a mob accountant on a cover of Crime Does Not Pay or something, but it doesn't seem like that was ever the case. There are a bunch of accountants in miscellaneous early romance books (generally as the "safe, right choice" that the title woman rejects for her foolish enjoyment -- alas!) and a few mob accountants in stories. Lone Ranger 86's first story is about an accountant sent to audit the books of the Circle Bar cattle ranch (the managers are cooking the books, and try to kill him before he arrives). Unfortunately, that didn't make the cover, and the cover they went with is... erm, let's go with "culturally inconvenient" now.

If you're fine with more recent books, my best picks would either be Tick's Big Tax Time Terror (2002), or Taxman (2000, cover A only):

Picture 1 of 1Picture 1 of 1

I was thinking same thought about EC in general, or crime titles.