• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Graded Shipment Packaging - No More Top HoneyComb Cardboard ??
3 3

18 posts in this topic

This has been going on for awhile now.

For the past few months, each return shipment of graded books back from CGC (whether it is the 15 book or 25 book box) has been missing the top HoneyComb Cardboard and has been replaced by one piece of bubble wrap.   At times, I have received damaged cases back, and went thru the painful process of returning to CGC for a Mechanical Error.

I called Customer Service, and they claimed in the past it was because of supply chain issues....but at this point it seems a bit ridiculous. 

And even more interesting, when you go to the CGC Shop and search for a Shipping Kit for comics, it is advertised to come with the HoneyComb top.  So why is it deemed required to ship books to CGC using the Honeycomb Insert with raw books, but not deemed necessary to ship graded books back to customers?

I re-use the CGC boxes to store my books, and without this insert, its nearly impossible to store/stack the boxes nicely.  

I don't know about any of you, but it really has been nothing me for quite some time now.  Anytime I voice these concerns to Customer Service, it goes into some black hole with the Shipping Department, and I never hear and response from Shipping.

Have any of you noticed this as well over the past few months?  Thoughts?

@CGC Mike - Why is this happening? 

I’ve noticed it too..  looks like you are starting with a length os this cardboard,  and score it into a rectangle that fits the box.  There ought to be enough around to keep cutting cover pieces top!.

but if it’s supply side issues better that more packages get shipped by omitting the top piece than holding boxes waiting for supplies to arrive!

I've gotten them both ways, honeycomb corrugated or bubble wrap.  Never had any cases damaged on the tops with either method, always the bottom corners, if there is damage.

Not too fond of the honeycomb corrugated in general.  It has zero compression, no shock absorption, no cushioning effect, no give at all.  Whatever force is striking the outside of the box is transferred 100% to the plastic cases inside. 

I can't believe there aren't tons of damages reported.  Very lucky.

On 11/3/2022 at 6:54 PM, Lightning55 said:

I've gotten them both ways, honeycomb corrugated or bubble wrap.  Never had any cases damaged on the tops with either method, always the bottom corners, if there is damage.

Not too fond of the honeycomb corrugated in general.  It has zero compression, no shock absorption, no cushioning effect, no give at all.  Whatever force is striking the outside of the box is transferred 100% to the plastic cases inside. 

It’s absurd that CGC doesn’t use something that absorbs impact.  If they can’t figure out how to put an end to SCS, the least they could do is attempt to lessen the chance of its occurrence on shipments to their customers :facepalm:

On 11/3/2022 at 7:19 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

It’s absurd that CGC doesn’t use something that absorbs impact.  If they can’t figure out how to put an end to SCS, the least they could do is attempt to lessen the chance of its occurrence on shipments to their customers :facepalm:

When I use CGC boxes to ship slabs, I always place a thin bubble wrap layer at the bottom as well as directly over the top of the books, so there’s at least SOME shock absorption at play.

Well, I had 3 books suffering from Shaken Comic Syndrome in one shipment not too long ago (on which CGC is dragging its fee regarding properly compensating me for the damage). And another shipment with 2 affected the same way.

On 11/3/2022 at 7:19 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I know what you mean. The switch from the old CGC boxes which had some give on all sides, to the new boxes with honeycomb "padding" around all sides seems like a step in the wrong direction for preventing SCS. It would also seem like the new approach would use more cardboard than the old approach, which you would think would translate to a higher materials cost, assuming the same shipping materials distributer carried both types of shipping materials.

• Administrator

Packing supply is a major problem and we are short of the Honey Comb, so whenever we are short of supply ( Happens many times in a month) we use the bubble wrap.  Supply chain problems are still going on, and is the root of this problem.

On 11/4/2022 at 12:50 PM, CGC Mike said:

Packing supply is a major problem and we are short of the Honey Comb, so whenever we are short of supply ( Happens many times in a month) we use the bubble wrap.  Supply chain problems are still going on, and is the root of this problem.

Hey Mike

Completely off-topic....but are CGC slabs recyclable?  Did a search but couldn’t find an answer.

• Administrator
On 11/4/2022 at 1:32 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Hey Mike

Completely off-topic....but are CGC slabs recyclable?  Did a search but couldn’t find an answer.

I am checking with CGC.

On 11/4/2022 at 1:32 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Hey Mike

Probably depends on where you live. I'm in NYC, and we put pretty much any plastic except for really malleable plastics like plastic wrap and plastic bags in with the recycling. (What they actually do with it after that, I'm not sure.)

On 11/4/2022 at 9:14 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Probably depends on where you live. I'm in NYC, and we put pretty much any plastic except for really malleable plastics like plastic wrap and plastic bags in with the recycling. (What they actually do with it after that, I'm not sure.)

Considering the sheer volume of slabs being produced...my question was an environmental one. 

I used to get them with the cardboard on top, the last few have had bubble wrap instead.

I just opened a box with NO CARDBOARD OR BUBBLE WRAP ON TOP.

Only thing on top was two of the thin cardboard dividers that go in between the books.

:facepalm:

On 11/8/2022 at 3:21 PM, Timmay said:

I used to get them with the cardboard on top, the last few have had bubble wrap instead.

I just opened a box with NO CARDBOARD OR BUBBLE WRAP ON TOP.

Only thing on top was two of the thin cardboard dividers that go in between the books.

:facepalm:

Did they survive? 

On 11/8/2022 at 6:22 PM, Timmay said:

One book going back for a reholder, the rest arrived ok.

They got the Three Stooges in the shipping department or what?

Moe and Larry are still there.  But they replaced Curly with Shemp.  :cry: