• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Charlton Warehouse Copies late 1954
2 2

11 posts in this topic

Does anybody know if there was a warehouse find of late 1954 Charltons?  When I was at Kayo books in SF last weekend, I got a copy of True Life Secrets #23 (11-12/54).  The store owner said he had gotten a lot of about 50 copies at one point, and didn't understand why the book was so valuable.  He had sold most of them but still had a handful, for better or worse I grabbed one of the lower grade, cheaper ones.  On earlier visits, I've also grabbed copies of Crime & Justice #20 (09/1954) and Space Adventures #13 (10-11/1954).  The Crime & Justice seems pretty commonly available, the other two less so... but the other two both have reasons for higher demand, and they don't seem terribly rare as these things go. 

So was just wondering if anybody knew about the background here?  Were other Charltons from this time found in bulk as well?

Sorry I don't have scans of the other two issues, not sure what box they're in at the moment...

True_Life_Secrets_23.jpg

Not familiar with this group, but Sheldon Drum of Heroes Con purchased a warehouse of Charlton's years ago that were meant to be jobbed out for 3 packs and that sort of thing. There were many different issues in quantity and some are very nice .... War, Westerns, Romance, and more. If you're lucky, he still breaks a bunch out for show stock from time to time. I especially like those with Glansman and Colletta art. GOD BLESS... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12

On 11/3/2022 at 1:55 PM, OtherEric said:

Does anybody know if there was a warehouse find of late 1954 Charltons?  When I was at Kayo books in SF last weekend, I got a copy of True Life Secrets #23 (11-12/54).  The store owner said he had gotten a lot of about 50 copies at one point, and didn't understand why the book was so valuable.  He had sold most of them but still had a handful, for better or worse I grabbed one of the lower grade, cheaper ones.  On earlier visits, I've also grabbed copies of Crime & Justice #20 (09/1954) and Space Adventures #13 (10-11/1954).  The Crime & Justice seems pretty commonly available, the other two less so... but the other two both have reasons for higher demand, and they don't seem terribly rare as these things go. 

So was just wondering if anybody knew about the background here?  Were other Charltons from this time found in bulk as well?

Sorry I don't have scans of the other two issues, not sure what box they're in at the moment...

True_Life_Secrets_23.jpg

This my favorite cover. Warehouse find 

many still ungraded. There’s 3 9.6 on the CGC census. 

wonder we ever see a 9.8 copy in the future. 

compare to ASM300 this a scarce book. :takeit:

Yeah; Charltons used to show up in bulk back east in discount department stores. Sometimes books from the early sixties for sale in the mid seventies. I got some early Ditko giants that way and some Peacemaker books as well. God knows where they had been sitting and how they came to be jobbed out to these stores. I bet there are still some piles gathering dust in the back of some old warehouse that have been forgotten. That or walled in by some sheetrock when someone was too lazy to move them.

On 11/3/2022 at 1:55 PM, OtherEric said:

True_Life_Secrets_23.jpg

Purchased my copy from Kayo Books as well.

True Life Secrets23.jpg

A bit off topic, but does anyone remember the huge find of “remainder”copies (logo cut off send back to the distributor) from Pittsburgh area? Happened when I just got out of high school in 1975. They were gorgeous!