• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is there a comic book app that puts together information for raw comic book values something like the way GPA does for CGC books?
2 2

31 posts in this topic

I tried to create something similar over a decade ago and was working wwith George from GPA to get it off the ground.

I suggested it on this forum. 

The general gist of the idea was a "GPA for raw books" whereby that who use barcode scanners (or similar) for their inventory would submit sales data through an interface and GPA would compile the sales and publish them in much the same way they do for CGC graded books. 

Eventually, it would be populated with enough data to create a live, online guide just like GPA.

The idea got crushed for various reasons. 

Some people believed that because raw grading wasn't standardized it wouldn't work - I disagreed and argued that the grades didn't need to be standardized as long as people THOUGHT the books they were buying were the grades as they were being advertised.

Others thought it was too much work. 

Some just don't like me so they oppose everything I think is a good idea. :D

Ultimately, it never got off the ground.

Edited by VintageComics

On 11/5/2022 at 5:38 PM, VintageComics said:

Some people believed that because raw grading wasn't standardized it wouldn't work - I disagreed and argued that the grades didn't need to be standardized as long as people THOUGHT the books they were buying were the grades as they were being advertised.

But there's no way to know what buyers think of the grades.

hm

Well, then guess who was right. (shrug)

On 11/6/2022 at 2:17 PM, Lazyboy said:
On 11/5/2022 at 6:38 PM, VintageComics said:

But there's no way to know what buyers think of the grades.

It's a moot point.

If the dealer sells a book in X dollars in grade Y, that's all that matters. 

Well, then guess who was right.

Right or wrong is not determined by whether a venture starts or not. 

hm

You've been trolling me with negative posts and disparaging comments FOR YEARS. 

I haven't trolled you, ever. 

Can you please stop replying to me? Thanks. 

Can anyone recommend a site along these lines, tracking values of raw collection, that allows for CSV export? I'm playing around with Covrprice, but don't see an export option. I linked to a "CLZ" account (which was also new to me), but it says in order to import my Covrprice collection, i need the csv file...which I can't find. So, looking for other suggestions. Basically, I have a big Google sheet that tracks all of my various collectibles. I track my slabs via GPAnalysis, and I can just cut and paste that info into a pre-made sheet which sorts it all the way I want. I'm looking for a similar option to either export or copy and past in CSV/excel format for raws. Thanks folks!

On 11/7/2022 at 10:55 AM, VintageComics said:

It's a moot point.

If the dealer sells a book in X dollars in grade Y, that's all that matters. 

No. I don't buy that many comics that have a grade marked, but when I do, my purchase is based on the price and the comic I see, not the offered grade.

You've been trolling me with negative posts and disparaging comments FOR YEARS. 

lol

I have absolutely not.

I haven't trolled you, ever. 

LIAR!

Can you please stop replying to me? Thanks. 

:eyeroll:

On 11/7/2022 at 12:44 PM, F For Fake said:

Can anyone recommend a site along these lines, tracking values of raw collection, that allows for CSV export? I'm playing around with Covrprice, but don't see an export option. I linked to a "CLZ" account (which was also new to me), but it says in order to import my Covrprice collection, i need the csv file...which I can't find. So, looking for other suggestions. Basically, I have a big Google sheet that tracks all of my various collectibles. I track my slabs via GPAnalysis, and I can just cut and paste that info into a pre-made sheet which sorts it all the way I want. I'm looking for a similar option to either export or copy and past in CSV/excel format for raws. Thanks folks!

Well, CovrPrice is trying to get there...

This is an email exchange I've had with them several months ago....they are prompt to respond to emails... but I'm still waiting for the "self-service" option to come.

image.thumb.png.69bd428016c60625f3e4b51dd86c11ee.png

In the meantime, if you want to manage your own, for eventual import into CovrPrice, here is the csv (easily converted in excel) format from the export they sent me... hope this helps!

cpID;series_name;issue_number;issue_year;variant_name;purchase_date;purchase_price;slabbed;grade;location;raw_est_value;slabbed_est_value;last_sale_date

Here is an example entry from my collection...(from May)

370246;"Amazing Spider-Man";252;1984;Newsstand;;0.00;RAW;9;;176.23;0.00;2022-05-15

In excel, once there, I removed the cpid, hid some of the other qualifiers, and added basic data filters ... fun stuff!

image.thumb.png.aaf995af16661d4a934d15d29881e756.png

I really like them a lot, but I have some issues with their latest update pulling in sales data for the most common CGC grade, not the closest. Also, they do not provide actual sales references for their data, and many of my own purchases never showed up (but I know this thread is about raws, not slabs). Basically, even like the stock-market, when something has high volume, it's easy to get the price right. When the volume is low, it's really hard to know and CovrPrice data reflects that too.

Hope this info helped you.

*edit* meant to quote @F For Fake

I use ComicsPriceGuide.com but am giving collectorz.com a chance this year due to the integration with CovrPrice. CLZ has a relatively easy way to import from CPG so I'm working on that and hope to have it complete soon. I'll probably maintain both for the year and compare. CPG to me is like a more frequently updated overstreet. They seem to have a formula for a majority of the grades that they can apply across series and runs within series. I have seen more consistent updates from them recently. CovrPrice is basing values off recent sales it seems. Whether it is from MCS or eBay of both/more, I don't know for sure. Easy way to update all you books from CovrPrice as often as you want.

2022-11-07_19-24-57.thumb.jpg.a7c4a0d68dd854086299f3f79e6fe1fa.jpg

Below is screenshot of my CPG export to excel. It's set-up with basic sum formulas but it's only a snapshot in time. Good amount of data and detail. CLZ has a way to export to CSV and customize the fields but I really haven't played with it too much

2022-11-07_19-08-41.thumb.jpg.9a2b375fa0799dff86e6cd81e20d1ed2.jpg

I would say that CLZ has the slicker interface and better tools but I've heard of a new "dashboard" being rolled out by CPG. The CLZ/CovrPrice integration has some serious potential but still need more data at this point to become relevant.

Edited by universal soldier

On 11/7/2022 at 6:28 PM, circuitryusa said:

Well, CovrPrice is trying to get there...

This is an email exchange I've had with them several months ago....they are prompt to respond to emails... but I'm still waiting for the "self-service" option to come.

image.thumb.png.69bd428016c60625f3e4b51dd86c11ee.png

In the meantime, if you want to manage your own, for eventual import into CovrPrice, here is the csv (easily converted in excel) format from the export they sent me... hope this helps!

cpID;series_name;issue_number;issue_year;variant_name;purchase_date;purchase_price;slabbed;grade;location;raw_est_value;slabbed_est_value;last_sale_date

Here is an example entry from my collection...(from May)

370246;"Amazing Spider-Man";252;1984;Newsstand;;0.00;RAW;9;;176.23;0.00;2022-05-15

In excel, once there, I removed the cpid, hid some of the other qualifiers, and added basic data filters ... fun stuff!

image.thumb.png.aaf995af16661d4a934d15d29881e756.png

I really like them a lot, but I have some issues with their latest update pulling in sales data for the most common CGC grade, not the closest. Also, they do not provide actual sales references for their data, and many of my own purchases never showed up (but I know this thread is about raws, not slabs). Basically, even like the stock-market, when something has high volume, it's easy to get the price right. When the volume is low, it's really hard to know and CovrPrice data reflects that too.

Hope this info helped you.

@circuitryusathanks so much, that's all VERY helpful and good to know. I have to say, so far I DO like the way Covrprice works, so if they are able to eventually get a regular export option, I think it will suit my needs just fine. I don't have to have 100% accurate, down to the exact penny values. I really just need the ballpark sum, as that's what I'll base my insurance coverage and such on. If it's off a bit here and there, no big deal. Thanks again, appreciate the thorough and thoughtful reply!

On 11/7/2022 at 7:29 PM, universal soldier said:

*edit* meant to quote @F For Fake

I use ComicsPriceGuide.com but am giving collectorz.com a chance this year due to the integration with CovrPrice. CLZ has a relatively easy way to import from CPG so I'm working on that and hope to have it complete soon. I'll probably maintain both for the year and compare. CPG to me is like a more frequently updated overstreet. They seem to have a formula for a majority of the grades that they can apply across series and runs within series. I have seen more consistent updates from them recently. CovrPrice is basing values off recent sales it seems. Whether it is from MCS or eBay of both/more, I don't know for sure. Easy way to update all you books from CovrPrice as often as you want.

2022-11-07_19-24-57.thumb.jpg.a7c4a0d68dd854086299f3f79e6fe1fa.jpg

Below is screenshot of my CPG export to excel. It's set-up with basic sum formulas but it's only a snapshot in time. Good amount of data and detail. CLZ has a way to export to CSV and customize the fields but I really haven't played with it too much

2022-11-07_19-08-41.thumb.jpg.9a2b375fa0799dff86e6cd81e20d1ed2.jpg

I would say that CLZ has the slicker interface and better tools but I've heard of a new "dashboard" being rolled out by CPG. The CLZ/CovrPrice integration has some serious potential but still need more data at this point to become relevant.

And @universal soldierbig thanks to you as well, it's helpful to see that export. I think that would be more than enough info for my needs. I will check out CPG as well. Surely there's a perfect fit for me out there somewhere, between these options. Thanks again, much appreciated!