• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Attempting to collect DC Showcase 1-104 in 9.0 or better!
7 7

388 posts in this topic

On 8/7/2024 at 3:26 PM, Silver said:

I mistakenly called it a 3-pak, they were four for .47 cents.  

IMG_7461.jpeg

IMG_7462.jpeg

Thanks. I assume it was Sea Devils #5 in the pac. One I need!!!

Meant to add enjoying all the other fans and collector's (in addition to the OP) especially Chiparus' quest as well.  And I echo tth2's comment that the whole manipulation of comics to squeeze every last dollar of profit out of the books is, to say the least, off-putting. :sumo: :preach:  In the SA Spidey Appreciation Thread we are posting successive books and are currently on issue 75.  I am posting scans (the ones I still have) of former books between 21 - 100 and remembering how about a third to half were HG old labels.  And wondering how many of those are still in the same holder. hm

And to expand a little further on tth2's comment and book manipulation, I think that CGC should have a rule that (a) they will not press a Pedigree book and (b) perhaps refuse to regrade Pedigree books which would seemingly deter the practice.  Sometimes it's all about the idea.  The idea being someone consciously brought a lot of effort and intent to collect and maintain books in the safest and most lasting way to preserve them for the future over many years (whether to ultimately sell for a profit or enjoying that whenever they parted with the books they would be appreciated by another collector.  Again, that's the whole point to behold the book or own the book and experience the amazement of the condition and preservation (and the love that made the attempt to have it remain in the condition they acquired it in).

Once the book has been altered, it's technically not that book anymore...which is a bummer.  Maybe it's too late for CGC to establish this position.  Boo/hiss.  

I now return you to the Showcase collecting discussion... lol

Edited by trmoore54

On 9/3/2024 at 3:03 AM, Chiparus said:

After numerous failed attempts over the last few years, I have finally managed to pick up a high grade issue 41. This addition to the set creates an unbroken run from 23-104. That feels very good. Will post a pic when it arrives. 

Nice work! thats a tough one! Im bidding on some stuff currently