• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Attempting to collect DC Showcase 1-104 in 9.0 or better!
7 7

345 posts in this topic

On 9/26/2023 at 11:21 AM, tth2 said:

That's funny because it was owned by another Tom (not Brulato) for a long time.

HA! A smile still comes to me whenever I think back to that time when Keith Contarino came on the boards and told Tom H. (linmoth) that he made a mistake when he returned the Western Penn Showcase 34-36 (and also the WP Brave & Bold 34-36) back to Tom because they weren't high enough grade! (pre-CGC era)

Both you and Tom were like "Keith what were you thinking??"

Keith's response was something along the lines of "BIG Mistake - I lost my mind!"

Edited by DanCooper

On 9/27/2023 at 12:23 AM, DanCooper said:

HA! A smile still comes to me whenever I think back to that time when Keith Contarino came on the boards and told Tom H. (linmoth) that he made a mistake when he returned the Western Penn Showcase 34-36 (and also the WP Brave & Bold 34-36) back to Tom because they weren't high enough grade! (pre-CGC era)

Both you and Tom were like "Keith what were you thinking??"

Keith's response was something along the lines of "BIG Mistake - I lost my mind!"

I've had the good fortune of owning all of those books except for the WP Showcase 34 (which I'm now thinking "What were you thinking, why not just own two 9.4 copies??").

The WP B&B 34 is the best copy of that book I've still ever seen, and not just because of its structural quality but because it's still (by far) the best centered high grade copy I've ever seen.  Also, the reflectivity of the inks of that electric blue cover was off the charts, as was typically the case with WP books.  

On 9/26/2023 at 10:17 PM, tth2 said:

Another upgrade, from its original 9.6 grade.

image.thumb.png.6a50bf1ae37b1206cf0b468ec76d0ca5.png

I guess these Showcases (Western Penn 34 & 35) are examples of the "mystique" of the original, small-print CGC labels - potential higher grades plus bump in page quality! (not to mention the high probability of an unpressed)

Imagine if CGC stuck with putting those type of notes ("Date stamp on back cover") on the label? Sure would be a lotta Bethlehems out there with notes on the label!

On 10/7/2023 at 4:33 AM, FloridianDemon said:
On 10/7/2023 at 2:38 AM, Chiparus said:

I'm going to put the 9.4 on ebay over the weekend if interested. 

YES! Dm me the link please!

Why don't you guys just do a direct sale and save yourself the fees?