• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Attempting to collect DC Showcase 1-104 in 9.0 or better!
7 7

345 posts in this topic

On 11/28/2023 at 4:19 AM, Chiparus said:

Someone must have found a bunch of number 1's. 

CGC cert numbers 4329456001-6007.

7 copies all ranging from 5.5 to 7.5. Interesting. 

3 copies are up for auction at Heritage (7.5, 7.0 & 7.0). I assume the others will appear shortly. 

Im also noticing how much that book has dropped in price recently

On 12/2/2023 at 3:46 AM, Chiparus said:

Big Showcase news guys. The ultimate grail of our quest is coming up for auction.

Showcase 4 in CGC 9.6. 

The one and only copy. 

Predictions please.......... 

WOW! Coming soon to Heritage later this month!

The famous "Newsboy" collection copy that Mike Goldman of Motor City Comics discovered in the 1990s! Sold originally at Heritage in the post-financial crisis year of 2009 for $179,250!

Mr. Bedrock Richie Evans indicated earlier this year, in the Showcase 4 thread, that the book may resurface soon in the market.

A Brave Bold 28 CGC 9.6 (I believe originally a 9.4) sold last year for $750,000 (BTW, that book looks to be also in the same auction as the 9.6 Showcase 4. That auction is looking to be an incredible high grade Silver Age auction with the books Heritage is starting to list)

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/10307/brave-and-the-bold-28-cgc-9-6-soars-to-750000/

I believe that is the record for a DC Silver Age book!

I don't think any DC Silver Age book has broke a $1 million dollars yet...BUT SOON!

Edited by DanCooper

On 12/2/2023 at 9:18 PM, DanCooper said:

WOW! Coming soon to Heritage later this month!

The famous "Newsboy" collection copy that Mike Goldman of Motor City Comics discovered in the 1990s! Sold originally at Heritage in the post-financial crisis year of 2009 for $179,250!

Mr. Bedrock Richie Evans indicated earlier this year, in the Showcase 4 thread, that the book may resurface soon in the market.

A Brave Bold 28 CGC 9.6 (I believe originally a 9.4) sold last year for $750,000 (BTW, that book looks to be also in the same auction as the 9.6 Showcase 4. That auction is looking to be an incredible high grade Silver Age auction with the books Heritage is starting to list)

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/10307/brave-and-the-bold-28-cgc-9-6-soars-to-750000/

I believe that is the record for a DC Silver Age book!

I don't think any DC Silver Age book has broke a $1 million dollars yet...BUT SOON!

Not going harder after the Newsboy Showcase 4 was one of the worst decisions of my collecting life.  Having said that, I don't think I would've won it even if I had, because I suspect the winner was willing to go much much higher than $179k.

The Showcase 4 and B&B 28 have been more or less continuously on the market for several years now.  It'll be interesting to see what they go for in what seems to be a relatively soft market, compared to if they'd be put on the auction block during the go-go days of 2021/22. 

Another major SA book, the Curator 9.8 ASM #1, is also going to be in the auction, which could affect market dynamics.  Normally the bidders for Showcase 4/B&B 28 would be totally different from bidders for ASM 1, but when they are the best known copies of these mega-keys, they may tap into the same pools of money. 

On 12/2/2023 at 10:00 PM, tth2 said:

Not going harder after the Newsboy Showcase 4 was one of the worst decisions of my collecting life.  Having said that, I don't think I would've won it even if I had, because I suspect the winner was willing to go much much higher than $179k.

The Showcase 4 and B&B 28 have been more or less continuously on the market for several years now.  It'll be interesting to see what they go for in what seems to be a relatively soft market, compared to if they'd be put on the auction block during the go-go days of 2021/22. 

Another major SA book, the Curator 9.8 ASM #1, is also going to be in the auction, which could affect market dynamics.  Normally the bidders for Showcase 4/B&B 28 would be totally different from bidders for ASM 1, but when they are the best known copies of these mega-keys, they may tap into the same pools of money.

These high-end, unicorn Silver Age key books always seem to come to auction at not the right time.

Mike Goldman was holding that "Newsboy" Showcase run for a long time (about 15+ years). I know there were personal reasons involved in finally bringing the run to auction in 2009, but there were more opportunistic times to sell it prior. 2009 was the year after the global financial crisis hit and the world was still recovering (financially and mentally).

Like you mentioned Tim, we were just coming out of a once in a lifetime phase of the "go-go days" of 2020-2021. Those high tide years did not only affect the rise of comic prices, but other collectibles also. It was a unique period (especially to sell!) and probably will not be repeated in generations.

Probably not best to put all the "good stuff" in one auction. With three major comic auction houses and what seems to be a major auction happening daily, timing (and spacing) probably should have been considered to auction individual high-end books.

We've already seen the economic effects in other parts of the hobby already (i.e general comics pricing, Promise collection losses, etc.), so we may get to finally see where the high-end Silver Age market is at and what's going on in the deep end of that pool.

It will interesting to watch and what a way to kick off 2024!