• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has anyone heard of this?
3 3

47 posts in this topic

On 11/12/2022 at 10:35 AM, lizards2 said:

I did tell the seller,

"Your explanation doesn't sound plausible. Most will just assume you're selling stolen property."

The response was,

"We're the ones who sent it to CGC lol, so we aren't worried. It's still a semi-free country, people can assume what they want, and they usually do. The fact remains the same, only the buyer will know the number. We're not forcing anyone to bid, and we would encourage anyone who thinks it's stolen - to not bid."

Wow. You would think that a PM response to you providing the cert number would be the best way to approach that. I'd be wary of doing any sort of business with a seller who gives you that kind of response.

I imagine this person either knows how CGC works and is hiding the graders notes on purpose, or doesn't know how CGC works and the importance of having grader's notes. doh!

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 11/12/2022 at 12:35 PM, lizards2 said:

I did tell the seller,

"Your explanation doesn't sound plausible. Most will just assume you're selling stolen property."

The response was,

"We're the ones who sent it to CGC lol, so we aren't worried. It's still a semi-free country, people can assume what they want, and they usually do. The fact remains the same, only the buyer will know the number. We're not forcing anyone to bid, and we would encourage anyone who thinks it's stolen - to not bid."

Why not just ask the seller for the graders notes? (shrug)

On 11/11/2022 at 10:51 AM, CGC Mike said:

As you all probably already know, this information the ebay seller provided is false.  

I let him know CGC's position and this was his response:

Of course they say that...until they do it. The person we heard it from works at the CGC office, is in a position where he would know these things, and has never steered us wrong before. Who knows, it may not be for a couple years, or it may never even happen. Companies consider doing lots of things that don't come to fruition.

But, thinking about the point you made (you're actually the only person that's ever said anything since we started doing it, so I assume 'most' aren't worried about it...but some may be), we have thought some more about it. What we've decided we'll do is only cover the numbers from the books that we personally sent to CGC. The books that aren't in our name, can just go up as the always have in the past with no cover.

So thank you for bringing your thoughts and concerns to the table.

On 11/12/2022 at 10:58 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Why not just ask the seller for the graders notes? (shrug)

So I did as you suggested on a different book last night, using my wife's account. He said he would send me the verification number this morning, so that I could check the grader's notes myself, but so far nothing. The auctions close in about five hours, so we'll see