• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has anyone heard of this?
3 3

47 posts in this topic

I asked an eBay seller why he has CGC verification numbers covered up with tape.

This was the response:

Hello, we happen to live 1 mile from CGC headquarters. Word spreads quickly here. The word is that CGC will be making comic owners information public. So with just the CGC number, I will be able to go on their site and see who the owner of the comic is. Personally, I don't want anybody knowing some of the comics I have. It invites all sorts of issues, not to mention that it borders on being an invasion of privacy.
With the number being covered, whomever the purchaser is can rest assured that nobody outside this circle will ever know that he/she owns it.

Regards

On 11/11/2022 at 9:49 AM, lizards2 said:

I would just assume they are selling stolen property.  Am I being too suspicious?

I think it would depend on the validity or their belief in the validity of this statement:

The word is that CGC will be making comic owners information public.

They could just be operating on incorrect information as opposed to selling stolen merchandise.  Are they a newer or established seller?

The word is that CGC will be making comic owners information public

@CGC Mike

Any opinion on this seller's proposal that CGC has signaled an intention to institute policies that are directly contrary to prevailing data privacy regulations? 

On 11/11/2022 at 8:49 AM, lizards2 said:

So with just the CGC number, I will be able to go on their site and see who the owner of the comic is.

To me, this is absurd.

Three thoughts...

1)  This is an incredible violation of privacy.
2)  Once the book leaves their hands, CGC's chain of custody is broken, and they can't correctly or accurately identify who the owner is.
3)  Given the lack of trust and all their recent (and not so recent) shenanigans... I wouldn't put it past CGC as something they would try to pull.

On 11/11/2022 at 7:07 AM, masterlogan2000 said:

To me, this is absurd.

Three thoughts...

1)  This is an incredible violation of privacy.
2)  Once the book leaves their hands, CGC's chain of custody is broken, and they can't correctly or accurately identify who the owner is.
3)  Given the lack of trust and all their recent (and not so recent) shenanigans... I wouldn't put it past CGC as something they would try to pull.

#2 was definitely one of my thoughts on why this would never happen - many books are just flipped too much.

On 11/11/2022 at 6:57 AM, GACollectibles said:

Are they a newer or established seller?

I don't know what the criteria might be for that. But here are their stats:

99.6% Positive feedback

3.9K Items sold

107 Followers

On 11/11/2022 at 7:12 AM, Ryan. said:

My understanding is that some people cover the cert numbers so someone else doesn't try to add them to their registry sets.

Why a seller on ebay covers them, who knows. ebay sellers do weird things.

I thought this as well, we have boardie's that do this. I don't see it as being an issue on the sellers part. Just being over protective of the book.

Honestly I can put a photo of my book, with serial number, and anyone can search the registry to see that I own it. Unless I obscure? hm

@lizards2

Edited by BigLeagueCHEW

On 11/11/2022 at 8:49 AM, lizards2 said:

I asked an eBay seller why he has CGC verification numbers covered up with tape.

This was the response:

Hello, we happen to live 1 mile from CGC headquarters. Word spreads quickly here. The word is that CGC will be making comic owners information public. So with just the CGC number, I will be able to go on their site and see who the owner of the comic is. Personally, I don't want anybody knowing some of the comics I have. It invites all sorts of issues, not to mention that it borders on being an invasion of privacy.
With the number being covered, whomever the purchaser is can rest assured that nobody outside this circle will ever know that he/she owns it.

Regards

My instinct (pessimist, here lol) would be they do it in the hopes they can always claim it's not the same book they sold if something is up with it.  They more than likely wouldn't realize how easy it can be to id a book's defects, wrap, etc. if it's not NM modern.  DISCLAIMER - Obviously I may (likely) not know what I'm talking about!

On 11/11/2022 at 7:18 AM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

I thought this as well, we have boardie's that do this. I don't see it as being an issue on the sellers part. Just being over protective of the book.

Honestly I can put a photo of my book, with serial number, and anyone can search the registry to see that I own it. Unless I obscure? hm

@lizards2

I don't look at the registry, and don't really understand the motivation for why people even care about it.

Surely, you've seen my avatar block.

On 11/11/2022 at 7:20 AM, Mystafo said:

My instinct (pessimist, here lol) would be they do it in the hopes they can always claim it's not the same book they sold if something is up with it.  They more than likely wouldn't realize how easy it can be to id a book's defects, wrap, etc. if it's not NM modern.  DISCLAIMER - Obviously I may (likely) not know what I'm talking about!

Ahh........, so why I noticed is I try to look up the grader's notes on CGC books before I buy them.

However, to date, I've not had good results with this, as there seem to be a lot of books that are trashed in encapsulation or shipping after the graders are done with them.

Also, so many books I try to look up have the notation "no grader's notes available"

On 11/11/2022 at 9:36 AM, lizards2 said:

Ahh........, so why I noticed is I try to look up the grader's notes on CGC books before I buy them.

However, to date, I've not had good results with this, as there seem to be a lot of books that are trashed in encapsulation or shipping after the graders are done with them.

Also, so many books I try to look up have the notation "no grader's notes available"

Yea this has been my experience as well when I try the same....once in a great while it would point out something obvious that just didn't show up well in the pics, but mostly a futile exercise.

On 11/11/2022 at 10:32 AM, lizards2 said:

I don't look at the registry, and don't really understand the motivation for why people even care about it.

Surely, you've seen my avatar block.

Same here. If someone wants to use my pic to say that it's their book, go for it ... wouldn't bother me at all.

• Administrator
On 11/11/2022 at 10:03 AM, Ryan. said:

@CGC Mike

Any opinion on this seller's proposal that CGC has signaled an intention to institute policies that are directly contrary to prevailing data privacy regulations? 

I'll check but, I am pretty much certain this is false.

On 11/11/2022 at 7:49 AM, lizards2 said:

This was the response:

Regards

That sounds like a runaround answer to: "The book is messed up on the inside"

On 11/11/2022 at 9:31 AM, Dr. Balls said:

That sounds like a runaround answer to: "The book is messed up on the inside"

One I was looking at a was a 9.4, which I know, could be a 9.0.

Several others were in lower grades.