• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has anyone heard of this?
3 3

47 posts in this topic

On 11/11/2022 at 9:52 AM, Gaard said:
On 11/11/2022 at 6:49 AM, lizards2 said:

Hello, we happen to live 1 mile from CGC headquarters.

From this one statement, Jason Bourne could find him.

I know - I'm sure the eBay name matches the store as well. They sell an eclectic bunch of carp - so the statement definitely smells fishy.

You could also just order something and get the exact address.

On 11/11/2022 at 10:40 AM, lizards2 said:

One I was looking at a was a 9.4, which I know, could be a 9.0.

Several others were in lower grades.

OK, I might stand corrected. How messed up can a 9.4 be on the inside? I thought it might have been a GA book in that lower grade area, where a nice looking 4.0 can have tears, tanning, creases, tape all on the inside not denoted on the label.

Some ebay sellers will cover the certification number if they are selling multiples of identically graded comics, maybe 10 at a time.  Like X-Men 1 @ 9.8 (Vol. 2).  That way they don't have to photograph all 10, both sides, create 10 different listings or swap out photos on every relist. 

They just use one as representative of what you will get, like a stock photo, figuring a 9.8 is a 9.8.  If they leave the cert number showing, the buyer would expect to get that specific one, and 9 of 10 people won't. 

Usually a harmless method, but if it was an expensive comic with the number obscured, that's not good.

Edited by Lightning55

• Administrator
On 11/11/2022 at 12:17 PM, CGC Mike said:
On 11/11/2022 at 10:03 AM, Ryan. said:

@CGC Mike

Any opinion on this seller's proposal that CGC has signaled an intention to institute policies that are directly contrary to prevailing data privacy regulations? 

I'll check but, I am pretty much certain this is false.

As you all probably already know, this information the ebay seller provided is false.  

On 11/11/2022 at 11:51 AM, CGC Mike said:

As you all probably already know, this information the ebay seller provided is false.  

Dammit. I was hoping for a wicked hot Friday conspiracy thread.

On 11/11/2022 at 10:36 AM, Lightning55 said:

Some ebay sellers will cover the certification number if they are selling multiples of identically graded comics, maybe 10 at a time.  Like X-Men 1 @ 9.8 (Vol. 2).  That way they don't have to photograph all 10, both sides, create 10 different listings or swap out photos on every relist. 

They just use one as representative of what you will get, like a stock photo, figuring a 9.8 is a 9.8.  If they leave the cert number showing, the buyer would expect to get that specific one, and 9 of 10 people won't. 

Usually a harmless method, but if it was an expensive comic with the number obscured, that's not good.

Yeah - these are silver age books from 3.5 to 9.4

On 11/11/2022 at 12:46 PM, buttock said:

How would CGC knows who owns a comic once it changes hands?  

The only critical thinker in the thread. 

Class gets a fail. 

On 11/11/2022 at 12:28 PM, VintageComics said:
On 11/11/2022 at 9:46 AM, buttock said:

How would CGC knows who owns a comic once it changes hands?  

The only critical thinker in the thread. 

Class gets a fail. 

Two other people mentioned this early on page one, Roy.

On 11/11/2022 at 9:49 AM, lizards2 said:

I asked an eBay seller why he has CGC verification numbers covered up with tape.

This was the response:

Hello, we happen to live 1 mile from CGC headquarters. Word spreads quickly here. The word is that CGC will be making comic owners information public. So with just the CGC number, I will be able to go on their site and see who the owner of the comic is. Personally, I don't want anybody knowing some of the comics I have. It invites all sorts of issues, not to mention that it borders on being an invasion of privacy.
With the number being covered, whomever the purchaser is can rest assured that nobody outside this circle will ever know that he/she owns it.

Regards

Not the question I was expecting... or hoping for.

On 11/11/2022 at 12:36 PM, Lightning55 said:

That seems like a reasonable explanation if indeed there are multiples in the same grade.  In this instance, I don't think that is the case.  I suspect the seller does not want anyone looking up the grader notes (if there are any). 

And we now know the seller's assertion CGC is planning on making customers private information public, which, of course, is ridiculous. I find the additional details about living close to CGC suspicious. There is interesting research which suggests when people are not telling the truth they tend to add additional details to try and make a story seem more plausible.  Not always, but often, it is a sign they are not being truthful. 

On 11/11/2022 at 4:19 PM, DWL said:

That seems like a reasonable explanation if indeed there are multiples in the same grade.  In this instance, I don't think that is the case.  I suspect the seller does not want anyone looking up the grader notes (if there are any). 

And we now know the seller's assertion CGC is planning on making customers private information public, which, of course, is ridiculous. I find the additional details about living close to CGC suspicious. There is interesting research which suggests when people are not telling the truth they tend to add additional details to try and make a story seem more plausible.  Not always, but often, it is a sign they are not being truthful. 

I did tell the seller,

"Your explanation doesn't sound plausible. Most will just assume you're selling stolen property."

The response was,

"We're the ones who sent it to CGC lol, so we aren't worried. It's still a semi-free country, people can assume what they want, and they usually do. The fact remains the same, only the buyer will know the number. We're not forcing anyone to bid, and we would encourage anyone who thinks it's stolen - to not bid."

On 11/12/2022 at 12:35 PM, lizards2 said:

The response was,

"We're the ones who sent it to CGC lol, so we aren't worried. It's still a semi-free country, people can assume what they want, and they usually do. The fact remains the same, only the buyer will know the number. We're not forcing anyone to bid, and we would encourage anyone who thinks it's stolen - to not bid."

jasb.jpg