• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Beware! The Claws of the Cat #5 Reassembled! Well, Mostly....
2 2

30 posts in this topic

Interesting ! 

I skimmed it, because I did own #1. Mostly the art really shows the change to me through the 70s. I'm not sure why it is so polarizing , and I dont think that I paid attention to the artists:

Cat is similar to hero for hire, but then you get the likes of moon knight and or firestorm and other 1974-76 bronze 1sts explosions. I've always wondered the reason for the "change" in art and writing. 

Even bronze spider woman has a similar art and vibe. I mention the art, but I mean the writing too. :)

Anyway, the "project" was fun, in that it can show the thought process to story boards. To think expounding on those, whew, I don't have the capacity Doh!

I'm not sure I've hit the tone of the thread either, so if a bunch of gibberish lol please ignore.

TLDR they'd hire you in the 70s @Spider-Variant^^

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Thanks @ADAMANTIUM!  Not sure I really had a tone per se.  I read on another board someone said they would like to see the book put back together, so I thought I would give it a shot.  I don't think I would have exactly enjoyed this story, but hard to tell without some of the missing pages and dialogue. 

I like the Fradon/Mooney combination, and I enjoyed Ramona's new take on the Cat's costume design as well.  Would have been interesting to see what color it would have been.  Ramona has drew it apart from this issue and colored it red.  Hmmm.....

On 11/13/2022 at 7:59 PM, Metarog said:

Very cool to see this almost complete. I’ve heard it was worked on but didn’t  know how close. Thanks for all your efforts buddy… been a long time.👋

Sure has my friend.  Miss the days of the Variant Mafia.

Nicely done, Reggie, as always. I wonder if we should have a competition to write the missing dialogue for page two? It looks like one of those 'maybe a bit of web-swinging will banish the blues' type pages when Spidey was down in the dumps due to his life being a pile of it. Although the 'blues' on this occasion may have been more of the monthly type, if you catch my drift?

What's the betting the dialogue was along the lines of 'I'll put on my special claws" then "My mask will keep my identity secret" etc. etc.

On 11/14/2022 at 12:54 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Nicely done, Reggie, as always. I wonder if we should have a competition to write the missing dialogue for page two? It looks like one of those 'maybe a bit of web-swinging will banish the blues' type pages when Spidey was down in the dumps due to his life being a pile of it. Although the 'blues' on this occasion may have been more of the monthly type, if you catch my drift?

What's the betting the dialogue was along the lines of 'I'll put on my special claws" then "My mask will keep my identity secret" etc. etc.

I bet you are correct on all fronts Steve.  That page 2 does have a Parkeresque feel to it, no doubt.  

I've seen some of these pages identified with different numbers, but for the most part, I think I have it correct.

On 11/14/2022 at 2:00 PM, Spider-Variant said:

I bet you are correct on all fronts Steve.  That page 2 does have a Parkeresque feel to it, no doubt.  

I've seen some of these pages identified with different numbers, but for the most part, I think I have it correct.

It's a great piece of research Reggie - the kind of thread I wish we saw more of around here - threads from people like you who love comics and who are inquisitive and inventive :)

Thanks for the kind words Steve.  :peace:   As you and I have discussed before, the problem with the thread format is that this post will eventually reach the bottom of the bin, never to be looked at again.  The data, like all your research, would be better served in a permanent gallery, where others could find it more readily.

On 11/14/2022 at 3:03 PM, Spider-Variant said:

Thanks for the kind words Steve.  :peace:   As you and I have discussed before, the problem with the thread format is that this post will eventually reach the bottom of the bin, never to be looked at again.  The data, like all your research, would be better served in a permanent gallery, where others could find it more readily.

Indeed. Funnily enough, I did a bit of comic pottering just this morning and found an old exercise in a file that I'd forgotten all about. They soon get buried, when you post about things in long threads. I was hoping the Journal / Gallery functions here might serve that purpose - creating accessible static records of key stuff - but it doesn't look promising as I can't get anyone at CGC motivated enough to do something about the issues and lack of visibility. Still, it's their site, they pay the bills and we participate freely so you can't complain too much I suppose.

I've been threatening to make my own website for years but I don't think I'll ever get there now. Too much going on really. Never mind. Look at the STL - who'd have thought all that info would bite the bullet. I used to like posting new Spidey printing errors there. It all goes in the end though, doesn't it. 

On 4/24/2023 at 3:18 PM, Giant Ant said:

Just saw this thread and joined to share this.
I have no idea where I got this scan, but I had it saved as page 5

p05.jpg

Yes, definitely looks like page 5.  Thanks so much for sharing.  If I can edit my original post, I'll sequence it in.  

On 11/11/2022 at 1:28 PM, Spider-Variant said:

Could this have been the planned cover for Beware! The Claws of the Cat?  Preliminary by Gil Kane, unidentified superheroine.   Note how similar it is to the cover he drew for Ghost Rider #2, published in Oct. 1973.

image.thumb.png.343a1245d018c01104dc5031651a58b2.png

XtLXbgL.jpg

Someone posted this on another forum, no idea of the origins of the piece.

But if it is real, then the prelim sketch by Kane would have the plan for this cover.

On 5/6/2023 at 7:04 PM, Spider-Variant said:

Hmmm, wow, almost looks exactly like my thread....

https://tombrevoort.com/2023/04/29/the-claws-of-the-cat-5-the-lost-issue/

What a coincidence!

On 5/6/2023 at 8:30 PM, Spider-Variant said:

Yes, it seems my stuff has a way of making it to other platforms.  I guess I should feel flattered. 

You could, yes. It may be a genuine coincidence. If not, what would you have done, if the roles were reversed?