• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It's been a while since I've been scammed on ebay.....
1 1

63 posts in this topic

My scam radar was up on this one, but I decided to take a chance.

It's all resolved (ebay is good about protecting the buyers) and I have my $$$ back. :whee:

But.... it still sucks having the $ tied up for a month.

Here's the scam.....

The auction showed this photo with photos of the backs too.  This photo is real and shows real CGC slabs with correct CGC labels. 

The title of the auction was something weird like "Encapsulated Comics".  I don't think it even mentioned "Fantastic Four", the issue numbers, or CGC.  So it made me think that no one else would be seeing it.

I messaged the guy to ask a couple questions and he was telling me his brother had just died, and he was selling his brothers collection, and it was all a big hassle and he just wanted to be done with it.  He asked me for my phone number and suggested we do the deal outside of Ebay (RED FLAG).  He told me if I won the auction he would add in a couple more slabs and a bunch of raw comics (he sent me pics of the other slabs and they were also FF comics.... I can't find those pics right now).  I told him I wouldn't do it outside of ebay.

I ended up winning the auction and bid more than I should have (because he was still telling me he was going to add the other items... that was pretty dumb on my part cuz there was no mention of the other items in the description)

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by gadzukes

Here's the comics I got....

Look closely at the labels.  He created his own CGC labels!!!!:whatthe:  They're not even good fakes.

The slabs all had been broken apart and glued back together at the bottoms and the comics inside were at best 3.0.  One of the inside comics was only a 1.0

IMG_3509.jpeg

IMG_3510.jpeg

IMG_3513.jpeg

IMG_3516.jpeg

Edited by gadzukes

He packed the box with other comics (to distract me? and make me think I was getting a great deal?)

The box weighed 15 lbs.  It was 15 lbs of spoon.

I started a case right away.  And I called ebay cuz I wanted to talk to a human there, to make sure I was doing everything right and to tell them about the fraud so they could shut this guy down.

A second part of the scam was this......

Once I opened the case ebay told me the seller would have to provide me with a label so I could ship the box back to him.  They told me the label would be generated thru ebay and to ONLY use this label.

Sure enough.... the guy sent me a photo of a label he wanted me to use that was NOT generated thru ebay.  I think if I would have used it he could claim that he never received the box back from me.  That's what my guess is.

I told ebay about this and they told me to wait until I got a correct label from him, which I eventually did.

On 11/13/2022 at 10:19 AM, gadzukes said:

Look closely at the labels.  He created his own CGC labels!!!!:whatthe:  They're not even good fakes.

The slabs all had been broken apart and glued back together at the bottoms and the comics inside were at best 3.0.  One of the inside comics was only a 1.0

IMG_3509.jpeg

IMG_3510.jpeg

IMG_3513.jpeg

IMG_3516.jpeg

A+ for effort :insane:

On 11/13/2022 at 10:49 AM, lizards2 said:

Wow - the font is so off on those labels, except for the back, which must have been a photocopy?

Yes, but I suppose someone without a lot of experience could be fooled by the labels, but to match such "low grade" comics with "high grade" labels.... that isn't going to fool anyone.

On 11/13/2022 at 4:44 PM, The Lions Den said:

I'm not normally inclined to publicly embarrass anyone, but I'd greatly appreciate it if you'd reveal this seller's eBay username. This is clearly fraudulent behavior, and this seller/scammer should be held accountable...   

You can find it under ebay sold, if you look. There is a clue in the sellers name...

On 11/13/2022 at 7:19 AM, gadzukes said:

IMG_3509.jpeg

IMG_3510.jpeg

IMG_3513.jpeg

IMG_3516.jpeg

Wow, wonder how many others have had this done to them by the seller

On 11/13/2022 at 12:34 PM, The Lions Den said:

Thank you.

With a feedback rating like that, I'm surprised he's still allowed on eBay...

He had low feedback when I bid on this but there were no negatives.  The 3 negatives all happened in the last 5 or 6 weeks (one of which is mine).

It took a long time for my case to get resolved, because I didn't even receive the package  until something like 3 weeks after I won it.  I noticed the auction said it originated in Idaho, but the comics were shipped from Albuquerque.  

When I finally got a correct label to ship them back, my address wasn't on the label (shouldn't my return address be on the label?).  The label had a NEW address in California as the recipient and the Albuquerque address as the return address.

I also had some issues with talking to Ebay support.  I actually talked to the 8 times while my case was open.  I had one ebay support guy tell me they closed the case and my money would be returned to me and I could do any thing I wanted with the box of junk comics including throwing them away (luckily I didn't do anything with the box of junk because a week later when my money STILL hadn't been returned I call ebay again and they told me they wouldn't return my money until the box had been returned to the seller).

And here's one more thing.....

I used the label he gave me that was generated thru ebay (like they told me to do).  When I got home from the PO I decided to check the delivery confirmation number to make sure it had been scanned into the PO system.

It told me the package had been DELIVERED ALREADY.  And it showed a full history of where the package had been scanned in along it's route, even though I had JUST MAILED IT.

Very weird.  I called Ebay again and told them about the strange delivery conf. and wondered if it was also part of the scam.