• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Missing back cover versus married back cover versus facsimile back cover?
1 1

3 posts in this topic

I've been trying to figure out what to do with a copy of ASM Annual #1 I have with no back cover. I'd like to have it graded, but it obviously might be worth some additional investment/conservation ahead of the submission. I'm pretty familiar with how coverless comics are graded, but I'm less clear on cases where only half the cover is missing, and not sure if the back cover is deemed "less crucial" than the front cover, from an objective grading standpoint.

Speaking generally, and assuming the comic is pretty low grade (say a 2.0 or so if the back cover wasn't missing), what might I be looking at in the following possible scenarios:

• Sent as-is with back cover missing; Would this be a max 0.5 incomplete? Blue or green? Any chance of 1.0?
  • Back cover married on from another copy; Would this definitely be a green label? Or could it get blue/conserved if a pro conserver handled it?
  • Facsimile (Xeroxed) back cover; Same question, definitely green? Incomplete?

What would be my best bet if I wanted a 1.0 (or better) blue label or conserved? Or if that's impossible, 1.0 or better green label?

Of course I won't hold anyone at CGC to any theoretical guessing on grades. Just wondering, generally speaking, how these different possible scenarios are handled by CGC in terms of possible grades/labels.